What is the best book you have ever read about nutrition?

Options

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    A few more that I enjoyed:

"Savor" by Thich Naht Hahn - not specifically about nutrition but a great intro to mindful eating

"The End of Overeating" by David Kessler - a bit repetitive towards the end but it goes through the addictive chemistry of fat and sugar and the concept of 'priming' nicely. It succeeded in making me think twice about the 'just one bite' behavior.

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes - This should be read just for the other angle. In my opinion it demonizes carbs a bit too much and it gives fats a bit too much of a free pass, but if you grew up thinking fats are the worst macro you can eat (as most of us did) then this is a nice slap around the face.
  • Stymie977
    Stymie977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Havent read the entire book, but most of it:
    The Gerson Therapy, very interesting book
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    A Guide to Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting

seconded.

Rapid Fat Loss & UD2 are also very good but more specific.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    South Beach Diet -- made sense for all the problems I have or am afraid to get. . . cholesterol, weight loss and diabetes.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    A Guide to Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting

seconded.

Rapid Fat Loss & UD2 are also very good but more specific.

Thirded
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the Michael Pollan wagon. I just love him. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is such a good read, as is "In Defense of Food".

Along these lines, "The Unhealthy Truth" by Robyn O'Brien is another one of my favorites. If you find you like these kinds of books, Marion Nestle is another author to check out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you. My goal is to become a nutritionist. I am trying to get a head start before I begin schooling.

If you are thinking about becoming a nutritionist, you'd be better off skipping most of the books mentioned on this thread. Many of them are going to present very biased information.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about becoming a nutritionist, you'd be better off skipping most of the books mentioned on this thread. Many of them are going to present very biased information.

While I'd agree that most will present some form of bias (everything does), I'd disagree with skipping them. Reading extensively from all sides of the story with an open mind would be the hallmark of a good researcher to me. Plus, some of the books mentioned (China Study, Good Calories Bad Calories) etc. are so famous and influential (regardless of accuracy) that for a nutritionist not to have read them would practically be crime.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe I have never read a Michael Pollan book. I have many of them on my 'To Read List'. I understand that these books will not help me in my schooling to becoming a nutritionist, but I agree that I just want to do as much research as possible as well as technical training.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    hahahahaha That 's awesome! :smile:

this was in response to the ''God like'' Bible reader... :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    South Beach Diet -- made sense for all the problems I have or am afraid to get. . . cholesterol, weight loss and diabetes.
    This and also "The Perfect 10 Diet" which explains how food affects your hormones and how your hormones affect your health and weight loss.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Anything by Michael Pollan, but Food Rules is the easiest to pick up and flip through.

I also like the Beck Diet Solution.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Fat around the middle by Dr Marilyn Glenville. She also writes articles in health and fitness mags.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    The Automatic Diet by Charles Platkin.
  • cjosenga
    cjosenga Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. It's not about nutrition, but it offers a lot of information about how much to eat.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women and my next purchase is going to be Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    No contest: the Junge Effect by Daphne Miller.

It is first off, a fun read. Secondly, it is really an anthropology bok about how diet impacts chronic diseases. The bok is organized by disease/region. There are quite a few recipes, a shopping list. And best of all, at the end of the book she tells you how to recreate the recipes with stuff from the regular grocery store. She goes on a shopping trip to the typical well stocked gourmet market and even Walmart to prove that anyone can do the "diet."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Jungle-Effect-Healthiest-World-Why/dp/0061535656

Check it out. You will find good tips, even if you don't follow any of the recipes on eating whole foods (in the right combos).