water

Options
how much water is enough ?

also.....

I am a huge coffee drinker, we're talking at least 5-6 cups a day ( on a slow day) on a bad day it's even more. Is this hurting my weight loss?

:drinker:

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    just drink whenever you are thirsty.

Coffee helps keep metabolism high, which makes you burn more fat. Coffee helped me lose weight. But it's a debated topic here.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    how much water is enough ?

also.....

I am a huge coffee drinker, we're talking at least 5-6 cups a day ( on a slow day) on a bad day it's even more. Is this hurting my weight loss?

:drinker:

In general if you are rarely thirsty and your urine is light yellow to clear, you are getting all the water your body needs.

Coffee will not hurt your weight loss, but if you load it up with sugar, cream or other calorie laden additives, those could hurt it.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    As far as the coffee goes, what are you putting in it? Do you drink it black or are you going to Starbucks all the time?

A general rule of thumb for water is to take your weight and divide that in half. That number should be the amount of water, in ounces, you should drink. More of course if you are exercising.
  • mom4girlzfl
    Options
    Rule of thumb is 8 glasses/day...although that is merely a starting point because it has to be tweaked depending on how active you are (sweating alot?), your weight etc etc., basically to adapt to your body's own needs. Don't wait for thirst to kick in though - that means you are already nearing dehydration. There are a few calculators available online but there are a lot of differences in the results that each of them provide.

As for the coffee....too much caffeine can definitely sabotage the metabolism. :( (prob not what you wanted to hear.)
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If your pee is clear-ish, you're fine. Drink up until then.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since coffee is a diuretic, if I have a cup of coffee, I balance it with a cup of water. My goal (even with coffee) is to have 8 glasses/day.
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Drink half of your weight in ounces. (150 lbs=75 oz) (a gallon is 128oz)
    Coffee will pull water out of you. One cup of coffee means you need 2 cups of water to just cancel out the coffee.
    Drink up! Water also increases your metabolism by up to 3%
  • sandibarron53
    Options
    COPIED THIS FROM THE MAYO CLINIC WEB_SITE.

Caffeine: Can it help me lose weight?

Does caffeine help with weight loss?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Caffeine may slightly boost weight loss or prevent weight gain, but there's no sound evidence that increased caffeine consumption results in significant or permanent weight loss.

Caffeine is found in many beverages, including coffee, tea, energy drinks and colas; in products containing cocoa or chocolate; and in a variety of medications and dietary supplements, including supplements aimed at weight loss.

Although research about the connection between caffeine and weight isn't definitive, there are several theories about how caffeine might affect weight, including:
    Appetite suppression. Caffeine may reduce your desire to eat for a brief time, but there's not enough evidence to show that long-term consumption aids weight loss.
    Calorie burning. Caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. But this probably isn't enough to produce significant weight loss.
    Water loss. In some people, caffeine can act as a diuretic, which means it increases the amount of urine you excrete. This increase in urine output, mostly water loss, may temporarily decrease your body weight, but it doesn't result in the loss of body fat.

Some studies looking at caffeine and weight were poor quality or done on animals, making the results questionable or hard to generalize to humans. In addition, some studies found that even decaffeinated coffee may contribute to modest weight loss, suggesting that substances or factors besides caffeine may play a role in weight loss.

The bottom line: Be cautious about using caffeine products to help with weight loss. When used in moderation, caffeine is generally safe. But too much caffeine might cause nervousness, insomnia, nausea, increased blood pressure and other problems. Also, some caffeinated beverages, such as specialty coffees, are high in calories and fat. So instead of losing weight, you might actually gain weight if you drink too many of these.