POLAR FT7 QUESTION???

Options
Navallez
Navallez Posts: 436 Member
I just got my heart monitor and tried it out this morning in my Zumba class...it says I only burned 161 calories for 45 minutes of Zumba...now I know that is not accurate...can anyone tell me how to fix this...I entered all my info correctly

Replies

• toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    did you wet the chest strap... thinkin it may not have picked up hr throughout the whole class....
    not sure what else sorry. x
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did wet it..and it does say one hr training//:frown:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It might be correct. I was really disappointed to find out what I was actually burning.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Me too always disappointed compared with the calorie burn on the MFP; I did 70 mins of jogging on an incline for 346kcals, the only thing i would check is that the chest strap is fix right; mine has to be tight especially when swimming. Also how long were you in your target hr? It bleeps at you when you arnt' "in zone"
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    Did the 45 minute class include a warm up and cool down? If it did then 161 calories is a not-unrealistic burn for 30 minutes of actual exercise. Most calorie calculators online are HUGELY optimistic - I only burn something like 180 calories doing 30 minutes of circuit training, but most online calculators have me burning at least 250-280
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    In the training summary for your workout, what data does it show about your heartrate? What was your average HR and where did it peak? What are those HR's as a % of max?
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    It might be correct. I was really disappointed to find out what I was actually burning.
    yes.... it happens to me too!!! so I change the routine..... zumba is a very slow workout for me... :laugh:
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    make sure you wet the chest strap to get an accurate reading
  • jclark051
    jclark051 Posts: 20
    Options
    my heart rate monitor seems to be pretty consistently accurate. maybe you should return it?
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I burn about 450 to 550 cals for an hour of zumba according to my polar FT7, however my HR reaches a high of 168. (I'm 35 yrs old and about 176lbs)

I would say try it again. Make sure the strap is tight, I noticed if I do not put it on tight or wet enough it will stop reading in the middle of my workout.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    161 cals for 45 minutes of exercise activity is low. unless you are 5'1 and 90 lbs. or unless you just watched zumba for 45 minutes.

check your heart rate numbers for that workout. were the numbers elevated? were you sweating? you say you entered all the data correctly but make sure.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The more "fit" you are, the less intense this will be for you cardio wise, so right now since I'm over weight Zumba gives me 500 cals in 45 min, but I fully expect that once I'm down to a normal weight for my height. my heart will not have to work as hard and will be in better shape so it will most likely only get me 130-200 cals. The fitter you are, the less hard your heart has to work. Even though you will have to work harder to burn cals, this is a WONDERFUL thing. That's what heart health is all about. :D

Amp up your intensity, this might not be a hard enough work out for you anymore.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your current weight is, but keep in mind, the less you weigh, the less calories you burn. That's really not bad at all for a half an hour of exorcise. Just because you aren't buring the amount of calories you want to, doesn't mean you aren't toning all those muscles.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I had the same question about my Polar FT7. I guess I got too spoiled using the MFP calorie burner calculator. I have read reviews and they said the same thing. They say to adjust your birthdate to get a better reading on calories burned. I believe that I just need to work harder and put a little more energy into my workouts.

Another thing you may need to do. Your chest strap needs to be snug and tight (comfortably). I did that, and it seems to help.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Echo making sure your chest strap is snug and that you have saturated your chest strap. Also, if you're on any meds, that might slow your heart rate and your calorie burn as well.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I just got one of these. Why do you have to wet the strap is my first question? I did when i stuck it on this afternoon, but thats it, and I have been wearing it all day, just out of curiosity. Secondly, do I have to wear the watch? I am in taekwondo, and I would LOVE to use it there, but I can't really wear the watch. How far can I be from the watch to still use the heartrate monitor?
  • Hey guys, so I just got one of these. Why do you have to wet the strap is my first question? I did when i stuck it on this afternoon, but thats it, and I have been wearing it all day, just out of curiosity. Secondly, do I have to wear the watch? I am in taekwondo, and I would LOVE to use it there, but I can't really wear the watch. How far can I be from the watch to still use the heartrate monitor?

You can just tie the watch on you depending on what clothes you wear like on your bra strap or if you have waist ties. I've done it in my boxing class and I still get a good read.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I just got one of these. Why do you have to wet the strap is my first question? I did when i stuck it on this afternoon, but thats it, and I have been wearing it all day, just out of curiosity. Secondly, do I have to wear the watch? I am in taekwondo, and I would LOVE to use it there, but I can't really wear the watch. How far can I be from the watch to still use the heartrate monitor?

You can just tie the watch on you depending on what clothes you wear like on your bra strap or if you have waist ties. I've done it in my boxing class and I still get a good read.

Thank you so much! I thought about that, but then I thought, "Crap...we do a lot of groundfighting" I think the bra would be the best bet. :)