Does eating more really work?

Options
13»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this now and so far I have gained a couple lbs and now I'm stalled, not losing anymore despite working out 5-6 days a week, which is very discouraging. I am very skeptical of it because I do not believe there is a one size fits all to the minimum amount of calories a person needs. If I don't lose any weight after doing this after 2 weeks, I'm going back down to 1200.

I recommend giving it 3-4 weeks to see if it works, your body needs time to adjust. And then if you don't see a change, decreasing gradually by 100 cals a day to see if there is a mid point where you do lose. I had to play with my calories a bit to find the right range for me.
  • Lorilea123
    Lorilea123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 years old and currently at 133 pounds. My goal is 128, and I'm having a heck of a time losing that last 5 pounds and keeping it off! I log everything I eat, excercise (cardio, strength, etc) at least 5 times a week. I increased my calories to 1500 about 3 weeks ago and probably burn 250-300 exercising (I try to eat the calories back each day). Should I increase my calories again? Seems so counter-productive! Help!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, because my maintenance level is 1760. I am good with 1500 or below.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I need to get snacking then!!!

Still can't believe, I'm sure I will end up eating more than I did before I started trying to lose some weight!!!

Yeah, welcome to the wonders of a properly-fed and properly-functioning body.

As I approach my goal weight, I'm finding myself eating as much as or more than what I used to eat, and still losing weight. The difference, of course, is that I'm eating mindfully and not blindly. If I'm short on calories, I look to what type of calories I need. If they are proteins, I eat with a bias toward protein. My body and I are on speaking terms for the first time in quite a few years, and I'm starting to learn (without referring to MFP) what my body needs.

Result? I'm less chronically tired, I'm sleeping a little better, and I can perform athletically at levels I've never seen in my entire life (and I'm well north of 40, but I'm closer to a healthy weight than I've been since I was 12).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 years old and currently at 133 pounds. My goal is 128, and I'm having a heck of a time losing that last 5 pounds and keeping it off! I log everything I eat, excercise (cardio, strength, etc) at least 5 times a week. I increased my calories to 1500 about 3 weeks ago and probably burn 250-300 exercising (I try to eat the calories back each day). Should I increase my calories again? Seems so counter-productive! Help!

You're so close to goal that the only way to answer that question is through experimentation.

Look, honestly, if you add 125 calories a day, that's a quarter pound a week. That's all. If you do it for a month and your weight loss reverses for 4 weeks, you'll have two things:

1. 1 more pound to lose.
    2. Good experimental data that tells you that what you should have done was REDUCE your calories by 250/day, which you must now do for 2 weeks to get back to "starting point", then sustain it for a further two and a half months to reach goal.

You're 5 pounds from goal. You're at the point where you undoubtedly look awesome, so why not take the time and experiment? The lesson learned will serve you well long-term.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    My body seems to work on math. Less calories = higher weight loss.
  • Lorilea123
    Lorilea123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This was great advice! I've now lost a total of 28 pounds and am able to maintain at 1700-1800 calories per day. I just ran my first 5k and am running 3 miles consistently 4 days a week. I feel great!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It seems to work for some but not others. You just have to get to know your body and try things.

If anyone has found the TDEE method "didn't work," then they calculated something incorrectly, either the TDEE or their intake. Science works.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My body seems to work on math. Less calories = higher weight loss.

Math and science both work. The problem comes in when people do not apply them correctly or when they ignore other variables. if your deficit is too high, you *will* lose bone density as well as muscle and organ tissue along with the fat, and the amount of fat that is burned will gradually decrease as the amount of LBM lost gradually increases over time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My TDEE is 3600 calories a day (I'm 6'1 242 pounds, 26 years old) I am in no way going to eat 2500+ calories, but I'm thinking more in the 1800 range...

Why not I am 5'11, 195 @ 12% body fat, and I lost more weight at 2600-2800 calories compared to 1800-2000 calories. Oh and on top of that, I didn't lose any lean body mass.. aka, when I lose weight, it's all fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When people say they are eating more, do they mean gross or net? And in terms of people saying do not eat less than your BMR...is that gross or net?

Net. Always net.

Not necessarily. It depends on how your account is set up. If you do not include exercise in your TDEE, then it's about net but if you include exercise in your lifestyle, then it's gross. I do 20% below my estimated TDEE and I never care about net as my deficit is built in over the week. I eat 2600-2800 calories daily, even on rest days.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 started at 220 and now at about 195.. It worked for me also. I started at 1200, lost for a bit, stalled, kicked to 1400, lost for another couple & stalled again, kicked up to 1650/1700, lost and stalled..now I'm at 1800 and losing again. I may go back down a touch depending on the scale next weekend but never 1200.

I don't work out and only walk about half an hour for 5 days a week. I work a desk job and spend my evenings cooking & cuddling with my SO on the couch. Even with just this 'little' exercise my TDEE is over 2200 so for all you working out people you need to eat way more!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    When I got here I initially started eating 1,200, because of course I told it I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week (doesn't everyone?). I didn't know that because I don't have a lot to lose, that 2 pounds a week wasn't very realistic. Initially I lost 4 pounds in a couple of weeks and then it stopped. I was eating healthier, and I was trying to eat in the 1200 to 1300 range and the scale was not moving.

Now my calorie goal is 1633 and the scale is moving. My TDEE is about 2200.
    This is my biggest problem with MFP. It should explicitly categorize each weekly weight loss goal based on how much fat mass you wish to lose. Too many people are choosing a plan that is not suitable for them and is causing a large decline in leptin concentration levels which is falsely making them believe they are full when they really aren't. Next thing they know, they're stuffed eating a fraction of the calories they were just months ago and get paranoid at upping intake.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So you think that the info on the back of all food info wouldnt apply to you?
    Most say for a 2000 calorie diet...
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It seems to work for some but not others. You just have to get to know your body and try things.

If anyone has found the TDEE method "didn't work," then they calculated something incorrectly, either the TDEE or their intake. Science works.

Completely agree! How can it not work? you are eating calories that are going off of what your body burns. I think most people that say it doesn't work are ones that didn't give it enough time to work! Say your 20% from TDEE is 1800 but you have been eating 1200, thats 600 cals more your body is going to be eating and since you have slowed your metabolism to run on 1200 cals, your body is going to need to adjust. Some people gain a few water weight pounds, some just maintain, as I did.

It takes patience. We have taken years beating up our bodies and doing such unhealthy things to them, and though they are remarkably resilient, doesn't mean they are just going to do exactly what you want. My weight has been stalled for almost 2 months, but though the scale hasn't moved, I have lost a lot of inches and my bf has gone down. This is what eating between your BMR and TDEE does. YOU LOSE BODY FAT!!! That is what is going to make a difference most in your appearance, not the number on the scale :)
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am in your boat too. I am upping my calories to see where that will get me. I was eating 1200-1300 calories most days, I dropped almost 40 lbs, and now I am stuck. I have not lost anything in like the past month. I figure I will try to eat 1400-1500 and see if that helps any! My TDEE is 2400, and my BMR is 1740, so I'll see what this does for me! It's quite frustrating!! Good luck :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I started here on MFP 2 years ago eating 12-1300 a day. For one year. I lost 50lbs...BUT I was hungry all the time and last fall, I stopped losing weight at all! Last winter, I started gaining back slowly. As of today, I have gone one year without losing weight and gained back around 15lbs.

The only solution I have come to is that I was l starving my body.

My TDEE is 2601. I ate that for two weeks and cut to 2000. I feel really, really good but realize I cut too soon and didn't give my metabolism time to reset. I am back up to 2600 for a few weeks, no exercise other than the occasional walks and my weekly bowling and volleyball. Going to start NROL4W when I cut.

Stick with the eat more plan. Scientifically, the numbers just make sense. It takes a long time but it's healthy and you get to eat!! I know it will work!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    When i upped my calories it made me happy cause i could eat more food.. I changed my plan to loosing about 1lb per week and it bumped my calories to 1570, now it's like how did i even survive on 1200. And im loosing more than i ever did at 1200.. And i exercise so i can even eat more! Yummy!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This was in my mail yesterday. I believe this person was one of the first few that followed the early Road Map and they eat 1500-2200 daily.

"I am down almost 60 lbs now. You have been a big big help! Muah. When I plateaued, your advice got me through it inside of 3 days. Like some kind of wizardry"

they workout 3x a week and eat good food.