Step 1: Open Mouth
    Step 2: Pour in Water
    Step 3: Swallow
    Step 4: Repeat as Necessary

Too funny!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    seriously, I was just trying to save her a little trouble since not everyone has the same size kitchen glasses. If she has 12 or 16 oz glasses like almost everyone I know- then I was simply going to tell her that she needs only 4 of those.

geezus. Are yall seriously coming down on me about what is the correct standard drinking glass now?

This website has its panties in a knot over all the wrong stuff.

Correcting people on the internet over trivial bullsht wont help you get fit faster.

You want to be healthy? Drink all the ounces you are supposed to, regardless of how many ounces fits in your particular kitchen glass.
    Hey, no one is criticizing or attacking you. I was honestly wondering why you'd said that they're not the same. I don't happen to own any glasses, so I have no clue how large they are. Seriously, relax.

I just thought Id start by trying to help out and tell her look you dont have to chug 8 glasses if your glasses arent 8 oz- just 8 cups, and now everyone is correcting me telling me that a glass and a cup are the same thing.

really? really.

I list all these things to remember that will help you benefit- because when i was having trouble with water- the only way i could get myself to stick with it was to do it for my face and my skin. It helped. Then Im told that im telling her it should be easy and not giving positive encouragement.

I try, to answer advice requests, from questions that are reposted every day by thousands of people- and all of them are asking it for the first time, and almost all of them have no idea that we already answered this question a million times- how could they?? But when you go in and you give your best 'this worked for me and be careful of this silly mistake I made!' ......... forget it I dont even know why I try to be helpful.

This place is a dog fight.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I keep my 32 oz bottle sitting right next to the monitor in plain sight... 96 oz so far and I till have an 1 hr and 15 mins of work left...
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Think of all the good things water can do for your body and it will not be hard! when you are trying to lose weight, water is the best thing for you!
    I turn up my water bottle and count to ten which helps me get it in...I know that may sound weird but I have to do what I have to do to get it in!
    I am a basketball player so I have to keep my joints lubricated so water really helps. I drink alot on the day before and the day of my games.

I hope this helps
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    IWhen I was just starting to drink water...I used lemon, or mixed it with a splash of anything low calorie....and now I drink only water. It was very hard for me to give up my diet coke : )
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There's not really any trick to it. Eight glasses is not a whole lot. If you slept eight hours a day, for example, you only need to drink a quarter cup of water each hour you're awake. Additionally, water comes from many sources other than just straight water, so if you're drinking a lot of other fluids, you're still probably having enough.

Just a little flaw in the math, but still not a terrible goal to achieve...

if you sleep 8 hours, you are "technically" awake for 16 hours in a day. Drink 4 oz per hour (that is 1/2 cup) and you will achieve your goal. 4 oz is not too much to drink in just a few gulps.

And, if you do consider other sources of fluid, then you could actually decrease the water intake.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    seriously, I was just trying to save her a little trouble since not everyone has the same size kitchen glasses. If she has 12 or 16 oz glasses like almost everyone I know- then I was simply going to tell her that she needs only 4 of those.

geezus. Are yall seriously coming down on me about what is the correct standard drinking glass now?

This website has its panties in a knot over all the wrong stuff.

Correcting people on the internet over trivial bullsht wont help you get fit faster.

You want to be healthy? Drink all the ounces you are supposed to, regardless of how many ounces fits in your particular kitchen glass.
    Hey, no one is criticizing or attacking you. I was honestly wondering why you'd said that they're not the same. I don't happen to own any glasses, so I have no clue how large they are. Seriously, relax.

I just thought Id start by trying to help out and tell her look you dont have to chug 8 glasses if your glasses arent 8 oz- just 8 cups, and now everyone is correcting me telling me that a glass and a cup are the same thing.

really? really.

I list all these things to remember that will help you benefit- because when i was having trouble with water- the only way i could get myself to stick with it was to do it for my face and my skin. It helped. Then Im told that im telling her it should be easy and not giving positive encouragement.

I try, to answer advice requests, from questions that are reposted every day by thousands of people- and all of them are asking it for the first time, and almost all of them have no idea that we already answered this question a million times- how could they?? But when you go in and you give your best 'this worked for me and be careful of this silly mistake I made!' ......... forget it I dont even know why I try to be helpful.

This place is a dog fight.
    You're the only one upset here though. From what you wrote, you could have meant one of two things: either that a glass might hold more than 8 oz. so you need less of them to get the total amount (which you did mean), or that because a regular glass holds more, the total amount is greater than 8 cups. All people did was ask for clarification, giving their understanding that a glass is 8oz and asking what you meant. That's not saying anything negative or critical in any way. No one said anything bad about you, said you were being unhelpful, or anything else like that. They were just questions, and no one intended to make it about you personally.
  • noris89
    noris89 Posts: 1
    Options
    lol
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There's not really any trick to it. Eight glasses is not a whole lot. If you slept eight hours a day, for example, you only need to drink a quarter cup of water each hour you're awake. Additionally, water comes from many sources other than just straight water, so if you're drinking a lot of other fluids, you're still probably having enough.

Just a little flaw in the math, but still not a terrible goal to achieve...

if you sleep 8 hours, you are "technically" awake for 16 hours in a day. Drink 4 oz per hour (that is 1/2 cup) and you will achieve your goal. 4 oz is not too much to drink in just a few gulps.

And, if you do consider other sources of fluid, then you could actually decrease the water intake.
    You're right, for some reason I summed up 4 oz. as a quarter cup when I wrote that down. Thanks for the correction, I'll fix it.
  • hinmana
    hinmana Posts: 16
    Options
    I was not drinking anywhere near to enough water per day so I decided something had to change. I now carry a water bottle with me EVERYWHERE! I got the kind that I can suck out of because I find it helps me drink more faster. Also drinking water out of a straw helped me consume more. My first thought when I want something to drink is to have WATER. I also keep track on MFP the amount of water I am drinking just like I do for my calories because it helps me stay on track!!
  • TracyGA
    TracyGA Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a 64 oz. Rubbermaid pitcher. I fill it every morning and set it on the kitchen counter (I prefer room temp water). Whenever I fill my water glass, I fill it from that pitcher so at the end of the day I know how much I drank.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was like you. I hated drinking water, how plain. especially after drinking Mt. Dew (my worse enemy now). So, I started out drinking Sobe lifewater. I like the black cherry dragonfruit the best. 1 bottle has 2.5 servings (that is 2 1/2 glasses of water), it has 0 cal, 8g carbs, 0 sugar, 0 fat, per serving and it takes good. Then I went and got a sports bottle, it is 27oz's. I find I drink more water if it is really cold. So I put ice in it which after time melts and I drink it all day long. I know water can be boring after awhile, so I drink a Sobe now every once in a while or sometimes a Crystal Light if I have it around. I hope this helps you.
    p.s. I fill that sports bottle like 3 or 4 times a day now and NEVER leave home without it!!
  • krissytee
    krissytee Posts: 5
    Options
    Yoovie, I found your comments and advice very helpful. Who cares how much an "actual" kitchen glass is. Don't take what our fellow commentators say personally, you've lost 90lbs!
  • krissytee
    krissytee Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :happy: These tips are all super helpful!
  • amadoresblue
    Options
    I use tap water to make tea but use bottled sparkling water flavored with "No added sugar" cordial as extra water. I make up a 2 litre bottle to keep in the 'fridge and use throughout the day.
  • FitnessDivaK
    FitnessDivaK Posts: 229
    Options
    A few things:
    1. I take a water bottle EVERYWHERE!!! I bought the Brita filter bottle to fill up at work and other places I might be for an extended period of time.
    2. Also at work, me and one of my co-workers are both trying to drink more water so we encourage each other by chanting "chug, chug, chug, chug"...as if we were chugging an alcoholic beverage. LOL!!! That one is fun!
    3. When I'm home I use a 32-oz glass bottle that was once the home to cranberry juice. I know that if I drink 2 of them, I've gotten my water intake for the day :-)
    4. Adding flavor to water also helps. Personally, I like either lemon or pure cranberry juice, but there all types of mixes out there...Crystal Light, Mio, etc

This is what works for me, hopefully you'll find what works for you :-)
  • BKtwelve
    BKtwelve Posts: 2
    Options
    I seem to have a problem with this whole liquids thing too. I am an elementary teacher (little dudes) and I don't have any breaks from 9-11:30 or from 1:00-3:30 most days. I tend to drink way less......because of the bathroom issue! eeek! I do Zumba about every day and so this lack of water is a bit of an issue. Can't wait until summer break-then I can drink water all day long!!! =-)
  • Snuggleymonster
    Snuggleymonster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep a 2 litre bottle on my desk at work and keep topping up my cup throughout the day. I'm t-total, so sometimes in the evening for a wind down drink i fill a large wine glass with water, slice of lime & ice and drink through a straw... it is crazy but seems so much nicer than drinking a normal glass of water!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service has two useful pages about water:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
    The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs. In hotter climates, the body needs more water than this.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks.

All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dehydration/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    Many studies have tried to establish a recommended daily intake of fluid, but it can vary depending on the individual and on factors such as age, climate and physical activity.

Some studies in the UK suggest that adults should drink 1.2 litres (6-8 glasses of water) per day to replace lost fluids and prevent dehydration.
  • Agatharr
    Agatharr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This may sound stupid, but I always have a 0.5l bottle of water standing in front of me.. with a straw in it.
    That way I don't have to pay attention when drinking. Just have to suck on the straw and drink.
    Your bottle is going to be empty before you know it!