I want to exercise, but I don't want to be SORE!!

Options
13»

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    no pain no gain!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have just completed the most active month of my entire life. I did 30-45 minutes of cardio DAILY and started strength training during the week as well.

Well done! Getting started is the hardest part and you have done really well.
    Like all of you, I'm curious about some of these high intensity programs such as 30 Day Shred, Insanity, P90X, etc.... but I'm afraid that I'll be so sore, that I'll break my new good habits.

Fear is good! My best friend tells me if you don't fear something at least a little bit its not worth doing!

So here are my questions:

1) How sore do these programs make you, really? Can you actually get up and do it again the next day?

I do Chalean Extreme (from the same company as P90x). The first week or so I am quite sore - by this I mean its hard to finish the workouts, straight after the initial burn goes in minutes, to be replaced by a dull ache in key muscles the next day. But so bad as to stop me doing normal daily activities. I cannot, however, do the same thing again the next day - I need to give my muscles time to heal. I can go for a walk though, or sometimes a jog. After about a week - even though the exercises get harder - it just hurts whilst I'm doing it and the day after the smug feeling covers up any ache!
    2) Do you have to be sore to build muscle? I mean, is it the process of tearing and repairing muscles that builds muscle, or is it possible to build muscle and not be sore all the time?

3) You guys work out all the time... how do you deal with being sore?

Not sure on 2 and others know science way better than me. On 3 - water before my workout, days I skimp I feel after, long salt bath on a night, and lots of protein.

Good luck!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be so sore that you can barely walk but you NEED to push your limits to get results. That requires a lot of burning during your workout and stiff muscles the day after. Personally, if I am not sore the next day I know I didn't do as much as I could have.
    Saying that, you really do get used to it. My first month of intense exercise 6 days a week hurt bad...but you know what? It gives me a ton of energy. I take one rest day a week and I find myself going stir crazy and having to go for a walk or clean the house cause I need to exercise now. The tides WILL change, you just gotta plow through the beginning and it will eventually give you energy to work, home and the other things you like to do. No one said it was easy...

I haven't done any of the home work-out videos or programs. I am a gym girl. I cant really say too much about it

Have you considered an HRM? I cant live without mine. I think its super important because it is custom to your body weight/height/HR and how much effort you make. It will give you a much better reading on how many calories you actually burned. Plus, I think exercise is very individual. I could be running on a treadmill next to someone else at the same speed, same weight, same incline but we could be burning completely different amounts of calories. Maybe your burning more then you think? Who knows? It can also give you a goal each day so you don't overdue it or under-due it either.

Just my 2 cents
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you are doing any kind of serious weight training, you are going to get sore, won't lie about that. After you get into a routine, it's a very mild soreness, that as many here have said, comes to feel good, or at least provide positive feedback that you are working the muscles.

As long as you don't start out with a crazy a workout (too heavy, or too many reps/sets), and as long as you stick with your routine, you will get over the initial soreness quickly.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No pain no gain! I love being sore, to the point that It's hard to sit on the toilet..

okay, im glad im not the only one here!!! lol :smile:
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh...I eat a banana and a protein bar every morning before I work out. I think that helps :)
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Being sore means you pushed your body to the limits. And you are building strength. However, listen to your body if you feel it is time to stop. Rest up, and eat right afterwards.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    These are all great tips! When you start more intense workouts (you like that? WHEN you start) be sure to splurge on a foam roller - unless you go to a gym that has them available for you. Those things have saved my sore body on more than one occasion. The soreness is just part of it, push yourself, don't kill yourself. I think you'll grow to want the soreness, I know I do.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love being sore! It tells me I did a good workout!!

Me, too. I don't love "it hurts so much, I don't know if I can get out of this chair" sore, but I crave that "ooh my legs feel fatigued" sore. I think over the years of exercising, my pain tolerance has changed. Or maybe just my perception of what sore means. "Good sore" tells me that I pushed my limits and got a good work out.
    That said, you can always modify tough programs to make them doable for you. Do part of the work out, use lighter weights or modify the moves till you feel ready to bump it up to the next level. Good luck!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I'm sore, the thing that helps is to do another workout. I'm less sore after the second workout, even if it was a different type (if I follow up a weight session with cardio the next day).
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm probably broken in the head but I love it when I am sore because that means I've definitely worked hard. If I leave the gym as fresh as a daisy then I know I've not worked hard enough (I never leave the gym as fresh as a daisy!). Sore = you can eat to rebuild!
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    Stretch and water will greatly help with being sore. If you want to get into supplements than protein and creatine would help with being sore because they help you rebuild muscle faster. #NoPainNoGain
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    if this is your only reason not to do intensive exercise imo it's a poor excuse. You will also find if you don't push yourself then you aren't going to get the results that you want.
    A bit of soreness shouldn't put you off.

Magic happens outside your comfort zone, so if you want the results, give 100%, not the 25-50% that you seem to be giving.

This!! ^^^^^^
    Being sore is not THAT bad in my opinion.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    there is no rule that says you have to do it everyday. Try doing a more intense workout 3 days a week and if you feel you should exercise every day then try cardio on the in between days.
  • Pikefireman
    Pikefireman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Or you injured yourself. :) Strangely enough I was able to fight soreness with salty chips, bananas, and lots of water. On a really tough day an Alieve didn't hurt either. I also agree with doing more workouts. If I am really sore a nice easy walking workout with stretching afterwards really helps.