HELP!!!I ADVISE Needed! Am I being unrealistic

Options
3ofmine
3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
Ok..I have been at this exercise and MFP thing hardcore for almost a month. I have lost 13lbs. I am happy about that but I can't help but wonder why I am not losing anymore. I have completely given up soda. In the beginning I couldn't walk or excerise 5mins I literally started doing 5mins of walking several times a day and then when 5mins got easy upped my time by 5mins and now I do 30mins on the gazelle every morning at 530am and I also do a Walk Away The Pounds video 2 x's a week also. I need to find some toning video to do. I am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day and even though MFP gives me around 2500 calories I never eat that many. I always have about 1000 calories leftover maybe a little more at the end of the day. I am walking 3 miles a day around 4.5 mph. Meals are eggs, toast, coffee, salad, sandwich, baked chicken, fish, brown rice, green beans, carrots. Snacks are like yogurt, pretzels, apple w/peanut butter, strawberries, string cheese...Am I being unrealistic? I just can't help but think I should have lost more...Any suggestions or advice???

Angel

Replies

• kaylauparker
    kaylauparker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I jsut vented about the same problem..!! IDK what to say other than it sucks..!!!..Ugh...Im at that point of okay screw it Im gonna eat a cheesecake to feel better..lol
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in a month is a LOT! I've never lost that much in a month.

For most people, 2lbs a week is about the most you should be able to lose healthily... so you've surpassed that!
    If you are bigger, then usually you can end up losing quicker than that at the the beginning, but still 13lbs is great for a month!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    13 pounds in a month? Yeah, youre not losing enough. Come back when you lose 60 in a month.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    13 lbs?! That's ALOT!!
    You are doing great! Start taking pictures, you will be suprised at the progress.
    Cheers!!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    MFP's maximum deficit is 2 pounds a week. You've lost 3 pounds a week. That would equate to you eating 500 calories under what the least MFP will recommend. If you consider the inaccuracies of both intake and burn recording it sounds like you are right on track.

Edit: For comparison I've lost 12.67 pounds per month for the last three months. I started on February 1 and have lost 38 so far. I also leave about 500 calories "on the table" each day as 2 pounds per week was too slow for me. I'm also very strict about logging and don't cheat because it requires precision to dial in the precise deficit.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in a month is A LOT. Congratulations!

You are being a bit unrealistic to expect it to be more. Honestly, after the first month it will probably be less. 5-8 lbs a month is more realistic on an on-going basis.
  • 1_Happy_Camper
    Options
    13 pounds in a month is awesome. you need to set your expectation for 1.5 to 2 pounds a week and know there will be some weeks when you don't lose any. it's not a sprint, it's a journey for the rest of your life.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say definitely "unrealistic". 13 pounds is phenomenal in less than a month - and more than what is recommended. Just keep doing what you are doing and another month will be gone (and more pounds with it!) before you know it.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good job 13lbs. is great!! Have you taken your measurements?
  • yabba45
    yabba45 Posts: 35
    Options
    13lbs in a month is pretty good...When I did this two years ago inches came off before any pounds did. This time pounds are coming off first. We all lose differently. My goal is 2lbs a week...don't get discouraged, keep going you are doing a great job. I have a Wii and use Ea sports active workouts...they change it up so I am not working out the same part of the body everyday. You might want to look into something like that. The body gets used to the same things. Again I think your weight loss is fine
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    13 lbs is a lot of weight loss for just one month. That's excellent, but don't get dicouraged when you see the scale slow down. It sounds like you're doing the right things. Just keep at it. I'm sorry it won't always happen fast. But do the right things and it will happen.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know we see people lose a ton of weight on shows like "The Biggest Loser," but honestly, 13 pounds is a LOT to lose in one month and rather than bemoaning the fact that you didn't lose more, you should be proud of your progress.

Try to get the full 8 glasses of water in as often as you possibly can. You definitely need that much, especially considering the amount of exercise you're getting. And try to get as close as possible to the calories assigned--if the deficit is too large your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose the weight. I know there's a lot of debate on the site about whether or not to eat back your exercise calories, but again, the calorie deficit is important to control.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    13 pounds in a month? Yeah, youre not losing enough. Come back when you lose 60 in a month.

Now now....
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    I dont think you are eating enough. Maybe you can open your diary so i can take a peek ?

Your rapid weight loss in the first month could be excess water?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    As you have noticed for yourself, your body has adapted to exercise and now it requires less energy to do the same routine. You're on the right track, change up your routine, add weights, adjust your calorie intake and don't give up.

It's a long journey, you won't shed all your weight instantly. Give yourself time and take care of your body.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    13 pounds in a month is really good plus you're getting stronger. Don't get so focused on the scale and numbers. Focus on how you feel. Also be sure to take your measurements. I had a period where the scale wasn't moving but I was losing 1-3 inches each week which will happen as you get stronger and are able to build up some muscle.

Be careful not to undereat too much or too often. I was consistently below my calories and it put me on a plateau after the first 20 pounds went. Also, watch your nutrients to make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber and try to keep the sodium levels lower than recommended by MFP.

Slow and steady will get you there.... and make it easier for you to stay there. Stay motivated... You're doing great!!
  • newmrswood
    newmrswood Posts: 194
    Options
    13!!! That's great! Losing weight takes longer than we want it to but your doing a great job at it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    That's the fastest weight loss you'll see... now that the initial water weight is gone and you're on a roll, you should see losses of 1-2 lbs/week. Whey you say you're not losing any more do you mean you've stopped losing? Or you feel you should be losing more than that in that time frame?

You're not on a plateau unless you go at least 3 consecutive weeks with no losses, but I'd wait even longer than that to make changes.

When I lost weight the first time around I lost 52 lbs in 52 weeks. I lost the first 12 in the first 4 weeks though. After that it slowed... and slowed... until my weeks looked like -.2, -.4, 0, -.4, -.6, +.2, 0, ... you get the picture.

Just keep going. You may have increased your activity to where you must eat more to see your body give up fat efficiently. If you eat too little, you'll just metabolize your lean mass and slow your metabolism. You should, actually, eat what MFP says to eat. Eating 1000 calories/day less than that is just silly, really.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is mfp, not "The Biggest Loser." It's suggested that you not aim to lose more than 2 pounds a week, and you've definitely exceeded this. I understand that different results people will see different results and those that have more to lose can lose more safely, but it's important to remember that slow and steady wins this race. This is a lifestyle change, not an upfront intense diet and exercise regime. Whatever you do now, you have to be prepared to maintain. Be happy and excited about your 13 pounds, keep going on this road, and know that your 13 pounds is the exception and not the rule. If you don't remember this you run the risk of setting up unrealistic and unachievable goals for yourself, setting yourself up for possible disappointment (which could lead to unfortunate failure). Congrats on your 13 pounds, and good luck with your determination to change!
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes you are being unrealistic (a little!!!) Think of it this way: the faster it somes off, the faster it will go right back on. All of the changes that you made are AMAZING......BUUUUTTTT........ unless they are all things that you plan on sticking to forever, any one of your previous vices that you attempt to re-enter into your life are seemingly going to immediately take you back to your starting weight. All the silly irritating stuff about 'lifestyle change' and 'living like the slimmer you' are sooo true. You are doing great! From the sound of it you KNOW what is healthy, and are willing to put in the leg work, so stick with it!. If every month were like last month, then by Christmas you would be down ANOTHER 104 lbs. Keep going no matter what!