Side dish rut!

laurenk182004
laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
Hello :) I'm in side dish rut. Every night I always have a starch and a vegetable with my chicken, fish or pork. Usually it's like a baked potato or rice with boiled cabbage, broccoli, carrots or whatever other veg. I have in the fridge. I really need something new! An actual side dish would be great instead of plain old boiled this or that...lol I usually have celery, onions, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli and cabbage in the fridge at all times, does anyone have any recipes that include some of these veggies? Thanks!

Replies

• laurenk182004
    Hello :) I'm in side dish rut. Every night I always have a starch and a vegetable with my chicken, fish or pork. Usually it's like a baked potato or rice with boiled cabbage, broccoli, carrots or whatever other veg. I have in the fridge. I really need something new! An actual side dish would be great instead of plain old boiled this or that...lol I usually have celery, onions, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli and cabbage in the fridge at all times, does anyone have any recipes that include some of these veggies? Thanks!
  • How about eating veggies raw? A great source of fiber with a satisfying "chewiness". I love raw carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, etc. You can buy them already cut up and ready to go in the produce section of the grocery store.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I like veggies grilled or sauteed. You can grill in the oven too - just place veggies on a large pan, spray or dash with oil, salt, pepper, and spice of choice.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    mmm all good veggies to have on hand!

I get bored easy too...I would combine the two your starches and veggies and do a nice rice or pasta or even potato dish....

Iike grill or suate the veggies add some cut up tomatos while you cooking the veggies for a nice saucey feel and put over a baked potato or add to some precooked rice or pasta....

good luck!
    hugs,
    ALi
  • Take your veggies in a roasting pan and toss them with a little olive oil, rosemary (fresh), thyme, garlic, salt and pepper (don't forget to toss in some onions).
    Put it in the oven for 30 min on 425 or so.
    You get good fat from the olive oil and it's great!
    You can also toss in veggies when your roasting chicken or beef
  • Hi,
    How about saute them all and add some teriyaki sauce,or soy sauce and add some fresh grated ginger root, garlic or any spices you like, then put them on rice or a thin pasta? I do that when I get bored with the same old same old veggies. You can add your chicken,pork,beef or even some kind of seafood you might like.Hope it helps or gives you some ideas for a side dish or a meal.
    Shirley
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    BEANS BEANS THE MAGICAL FRUIT...... QUINOA.....OTHER GRAINS...:happy:

dd
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Sometimes when I need a change I'll mix a bunch of different raw veggies, whatevers on hand, add some green onions and maybe a small can of niblets corn and add some fat-free zesty Italian dressing, or low-fat balsamic vinegrette and let it marinade in the fridge for a while (30 mins to a couple of hours or overnight). It makes a tasty side dish that fits with my healthier way of eating!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Here's a site that has quite a few side dish recipes:

http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/sidedishes/sidedishindex.htm

Hope this helps!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • how about trying something new every time you do your shopping? i love asparagus sauted lightly with some olive oil and garlic powder. spaghetti squash is great too..i put 1/2 in the oven, then scrape it out and add some splenda brown sugar and some i can't believe it's not butter..mmm taste great, and very healthy! this week i picked up a sweet potato..havent' tried it yet, but maybe tomorrow!
    good luck!
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    I just tried this--boil a potato, mix with some spinach (I add about a cup), salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder, and 2-3 Tbsp of low fat cottage cheese (or sour cream, if that's your thing.) Bake for about 10-15 minutes, then add a few sprinkles of cheese on top, bake for 5 more minutes and enjoy! This makes about 2 servings for a side dish, and without the cheese on top, it's only 100 calories. I really enjoyed it, and it's a good way to get some spinach in (which I am not a fan of.) Good luck!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    My friend who recently lost 35lbs gave me a simple recipe for a side dish that I love!!!

1 small onion, chopped
    1 minced glove of garlic
    1/2 cup of mushrooms, chopped
    1 medium tomato, diced
    1 tsp of olive oil
    Seasoning Salt

In a non-stick pan heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent (do not burn). Add mushrooms and cook for one minute or so. Add to tomato and salt to taste.
    Stir around for a couple of minutes and voila, a yummy side dish.

I love this so much that I'm currently haven't it every night. I also like it mixed with 100grams of cooked pasta. It's so good either way.
  • I like to make pureed "cream" soups with broccoli, cauliflower, or butternut squash.
    It's not quite a side dish- but it is an accompaniment.

Here's what I do:
    Cook the vegetable (steam, or roast) until tender.
    Put it in the blender with chicken or vegetable broth, sauted onions, and spices (see below)
    I use cumin, and curry , or even cinnamon for the squash soup
    Sage for the cauliflower
    garlic, and pepper for the broccoli.
    You can add lemon, salt and pepper to taste, and serve with chopped chives and a dollop of
    low fat plain yogurt.
    Sounds time consuming, but is really fast, very nutritious, and tasty!
    You can also use some of the water that you steamed the veggies in if you want.
    P.S. You can do this with many veggies, and have fun with combining!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    I didn't write the original post but I enjoyed reading the suggestions. I love peppers: red, green, yellow, orange, with some red onion and black olives. Sprinkle on some low cal italian dressing, and shake to cover the veggies. Crunchy, colorful, mmmmmmm.
  • How about a nice bean salad with some olive oil. Also, if you like sweet potatos, Stop and Shop has them in microwaveable form and they are delicious.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    My friend who recently lost 35lbs gave me a simple recipe for a side dish that I love!!!

1 small onion, chopped
    1 minced glove of garlic
    1/2 cup of mushrooms, chopped
    1 medium tomato, diced
    1 tsp of olive oil
    Seasoning Salt

In a non-stick pan heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent (do not burn). Add mushrooms and cook for one minute or so. Add to tomato and salt to taste.
    Stir around for a couple of minutes and voila, a yummy side dish.

I love this so much that I'm currently haven't it every night. I also like it mixed with 100grams of cooked pasta. It's so good either way.

I live off a variation of this. My family always cooks this for something..

I buy canned tomatoes and in a cast iron pot cook it down with lots of onions, mushrooms, garlic and maybe sometimes chicken broth (if the tomatoes aren't too tasty). I literally have a huge container in my fridge every 2 weeks. I top my fish with it, I mix it in with my rice and then sometimes if I have tooo much left over I grab some frozen peas/corn and mix it all together and I have a salsa :smile:
  • laurenk182004
    Thankyou all so much for your ideas. I think I do need to get a little more adventurous in the produce department. I made my veggies "chinese" style the other night with orange zest, orange juice, ginger and 1 tbls low sodium teriyaki sauce. Very yummy, great idea, thankyou :) I love all the ideas, and I'm going to try them all! I was wondering, what is quinoa, and the only way I know how to serve beans is baked...lol If anyone has anymore ideas, I would love to have them. Thankyou again
  • laurenk182004
    Sounds delicious, I'm gonna do the creamed broccoli one tonight! :)