Lost weight everywhere BUT my THIGHS!

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    That's normal for women... hips/thighs are the last place you will lose weight (similar to abs for guys). There are some things you can do to help get rid of weight there, but they aren't really relevant til you are already somewhere in the 18-20% body fat range. Once the rest of your body fat is mostly gone, fasted cardio+alpha-2 antagonists (e.g. yohimbine/alpha-yohimbine) works wonders. There are a lot of caveats and other considerations though, and once again, it won't really make a difference til most of the rest of your body fat is gone, as even with a perfect regimen, your body is going to preferentially metabolize fat from other areas first.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    CARDIO cardio cardio cardio
    hills. stairs. interval training. running on the beach.

I get gaunt arms, chest and face but my *kitten* and thighs don't get the weightloss memo. I look like a drug addict up top and a fattie below which is ANNOYING. Just up your cardio.

People lose weight in different areas. My mate has big arms and tiny legs/bum. My other friend has stick legs, stick arms and a big tummy. Some people put weight on all over.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    CARDIO cardio cardio cardio
    hills. stairs. interval training. running on the beach.

I get gaunt arms, chest and face but my *kitten* and thighs don't get the weightloss memo. I look like a drug addict up top and a fattie below which is ANNOYING. Just up your cardio.

People lose weight in different areas. My mate has big arms and tiny legs/bum. My other friend has stick legs, stick arms and a big tummy. Some people put weight on all over.

Cardio doesnt cut fat as fast as weight training. So if you want to cut body fat. Heavy weight training is the way to go.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Me too. And what's even more fun... I do a lot of squats/lunges so I've built giant muscles too. Yeah. Really enjoyable.

I had to up my reps and lessen my weight on legs, because my muscles were getting bigger and just pushing the fat out more. :laugh: Pants were too big on the waist and too tight on the thighs.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    I am on the same boat..
    I would highly highly recommend Jillian's Killer buns and thighs workout DVD.. I have seen huge difference in the lower part of my body after that .. I love that DVD :heart:
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    As a sprinter I have strong muscular thighs ... WHICH I HATE!! I would love to know how to get them down as well.. I do a lot of cardio and weights (although I have stopped doing weights on my legs for now as I seem to just be building up more muscle making them even bigger) Its rather discouraging when I'm doing so well losing everywhere else. :(
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    I just want all you pear shaped girls to know, and I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think pear shaped women are way hot!! It is a very feminine and sexy look. In some cultures, like the brazilian culture, this is the epitome of beauty. Don't let the media tell you you should look like they say. You are beautiful the way you are! :flowerforyou:

:happy: You just made yourself very popular! :flowerforyou:
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    I'm pair shaped and am losing inches all over. I am a runner also. I run 3 to 4 times a week and do weight and body resistant circuit training. Very intense workouts. I also ride my bike a few times a week.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    I read somewhere and can't remember what fitness site/blog but supposedly when a woman reaches around 18-19% body fat, her thighs slim down considerably. I don't know if that helps or not.

FWIW, I'm very linear in shape (as you can see in my profile pic) and would LOVE to be pear-shaped. I have the opposite problem. My weight came off from my thighs first and waist last, lol. I've struggled just to get my waist down to 26", seriously.
  • joannaorgovan
    joannaorgovan Posts: 71 Member
    I'm pear shaped too but less so now. I started doing the Bar Method and Lotte Berke Method (basically the same thing) and have lost inches in my lower half in less than four weeks!!! I lost an inch in my upper thighs in only two weeks. It' like ballet conditioning. After only five days I could literally feel the muscle in my legs. My Pilates instructor turned us on to it in class. I have to go shopping for new pants. If you do it every day you'll see quicker results. I'm so glad I found it!!!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    I was always told to "spot" work...Lower weights and more reps. Hope that helps!!!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    I'm an hourglass, and while it's true that a lot of where your body stores fat is genetic, some of it may be hormonal: high levels of oestrogen tell your body to store more fat, particularly in the hips/thighs area. Now, I started about 3 months ago per instructions from my gym to up my testosterone with almost no cardio, heavily squat-lunge routine and... I really don't know if it's the routine or the fact that the first 20 min you're burning sugar from your blood, after that fat so theoretically anything you do 20 min after you start your workout could be targeted (and ALL I'm doing is squats and lunges)... or that my body has now decided to get to the thighs... but I have lost a considerable amount in my legs overall and thighs in particular.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Different people lose fat from different areas last. If it wasn't your thighs, it would be something else.
    Right, that's what I was thinking, for me it's abs. You just have to stick with it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    they will slim out as you lose bf%. That's my problem area too, it's the first place I gain fat deposits and last place I lose. It takes time and dedication. Everyone has their problem area, the area that gets bigger first and then shrinks, you're okay just keep going.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I was always told to "spot" work...Lower weights and more reps. Hope that helps!!!

You cannot spot reduce fat, and lower weights with more reps may work as long as you're still working to failure . . . but it's less efficient than just using heavy weights and less reps to failure. Any lifting to failure is important, but I go for efficiency.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    I just want all you pear shaped girls to know, and I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think pear shaped women are way hot!! It is a very feminine and sexy look. In some cultures, like the brazilian culture, this is the epitome of beauty. Don't let the media tell you you should look like they say. You are beautiful the way you are! :flowerforyou:

oh man I missed that
    girlz : what he said :laugh:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    I agree with just sticking with it. I'm pear shaped too - I love my shape but it is silly to see your waist getting smaller and smaller... and your thighs looking bigger and bigger compared to the rest of you. I started trading my treadmill warm up for a stationary bike on hill intervals, level 3 or 4 for 5 miles or so and have started to see a difference. I can tell there's a little less jiggle in my trot when I'm chasing a small child down the beach. If you just keep knocking down your body fat %, they'll get there.
    In the meantime though, embrace your shape and dress to fit it. No one can rock an A-Line dress like we can! ;)
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    I am with you, girls! ... except that my legs retain water too, so I'm an extra-juicy pear. Ugh....

Don't give up! When I was at my GW the first time I had the thighs I want. Now only to get there again....
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 638 Member
    I had the same problem as I don't drive and walk almost everywhere. They got bigger when I took up aerobics. My instructor told me to try Pilates and Yoga combined for 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. These workouts really made a difference and I lost two inches off each thigh after 6 weeks. I also stopped looking so crunched up as the pilates and yoga combined stretched and elongated my thigh muscles..along with the rest of me. I gained half an inch in height, my posture and walking gait is much better and I look leaner and more toned. Give them a try and see how you go. :happy:
    I used to do yoga daily but it didn't change my thigh shape. It did tone my abs.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    I'm pear shape too.. It has its good and bad qualities.. I love my booty and my hips but my thighs if I don't really watch what I eat get out of control.. I have to do lots of lower body weight training to keep everything tight and lifted.