Exercise Calories - What does it mean?

Options
I know this has probably been asked several times already, so if you can find me a link to a thread that answers this question I would really appreciate it!

What does it mean, "eat exercise calories back"? I think I know what it means, but I want to be sure...

My calorie intake according to MFP is 1380 cals. Today I exercised/burned around 420 cals. I have eaten around 602 cals.

Thank you for answering and clearing this up for me!

HgH

Replies

• jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you how many calories to eat in a day based on your activity level which you entered in your goals.

Problem is, if you exercise, you are burning more cals, so the idea is that you should be eating back the calories you burned while exercising. This way your NET calories (calories eaten less calories burned through exercise) consumed in a day are equal to the set calories shown in MFP.

In your case, MFP wants you to consume NET calories per day of 1380. If you burned 420 calories exercising, then you should be eating a total of 1380 + 420 = 1800 calories today. If you've only eaten 602 so far, you still need to eat another 1198.

:)
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The amount you start off with each day is your calories you *should* eat if you do no exercise.

Mine are 1200. I burned 270 calories today, so this brings my amount of calories I *should* eat to 1470. I didn't eat my exercise calories though, I ate around 1200.

So my net is then 1200 - 270 = 930.