7pm rule

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat within 3 hours of bed time. This is so that your food is digested before you lie down. Thus the recommendation of not eating after 7pm if your normal bedtime is 7pm.

Another MYTH.

If you are under your maintenance calories, you will lose weight even if you eat all of them 1 hour before bed...

There may be other advantages to eating at certain periods of time, but they are certainly not metabolic advantages. They are merely personal preference. For me, I don't like eating right before bed because it keeps me awake longer. It doesn't make me fat, but I sleep better if my stomach isn't full.

Talk to me about myths after you have to have surgery to repair damage from eating and lying down right after!

She asked if she was going to gain weight if she eats after 7pm.

She won't.

You didn't have surgery because lying down after eating made you fat.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i routinely eat at 2am and immediately go to sleep
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't even get home from work until after 7 and I'm back in bed for 9:30 so I can do it again the next day. (Still losing btw)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yes. And if you eat after midnight you turn into a gremlin.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    at 19:00:00:01 you cannot eat. or you will get insta-fat. that millisecond makes all the difference. you HAVE to eat 18 times a day. ONLY between the hours of 6am and 7pm. insta fat is nothing to mess with. it happens if you so much as LOOK at McDonald's too.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

I typically don't eat after 7ish because A) I am not a night eater and B) I weigh myself first thing in the morning so I like to feel "empty". It truly does not matter, though.

Although some say there is a benefit along the lines of intermittent fasting to not eat for 12 hours each day. I know it always makes me feel lighter and like I am starting a new day with nothing from yesterday still in there, b ut that could just be all the fiber haha
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you consistantly eat over your maintenance calories after 7pm. But the 7pm part doesn't have anything to do with it.

Also, you'll turn into a Gremlin.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    at 19:00:00:01 you cannot eat. or you will get insta-fat. that millisecond makes all the difference. you HAVE to eat 18 times a day. ONLY between the hours of 6am and 7pm. insta fat is nothing to mess with. it happens if you so much as LOOK at McDonald's too.
    It happened to me. I ate a piece of popcorn I found in the couch, and instantly gained 300 lbs. I think it was because of starvation mode.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Considering how often my hours of being awake are from 2 pm until 4 am, I would be mighty hungry all the time if this were true.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    True.

The scientifically-proven rule by a blue-ribbon panel of Nobel Prize winners is that you can't eat past 7pm EST.

Sadly, I'm on the west coast, so I can't eat past 4pm my time.

And I'm joking. :)
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Its not good to sleep after devouring a giant meal but a small healthy snack right before bed is fine. Also the idea is more stop eating an couple hours before bed. For me that makes the time I stop eating around 10. If I stopped eating at 7 I would be starving by the time I layed down for bed.
  • oliviagetsdown
    Options
    Simply, no. There are general ideas that you shouldn't eat too soon before bed, maybe just out of general comfort - personally, I don't like to be full when I'm trying to sleep. However, the only problem with eating before sleep is that if sugar isn't burnt off soon after eating it then it converts very quickly into fat.

Did you know? There was a test done with a bunch of candidates who were trying to lose weight. They were all given a basically similar diet and exercise regime, except one group had to have their dessert in the morning, and the other group at night (as usual). The group who ate their dessert in the morning lost an average of approx 7kgs over the course of the experiment! (not sure how long it was) Incredible!

So basically, eat whenever you want, just try to eat sugary things earlier in the day to give your body a chance to burn it off.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Simply, no. There are general ideas that you shouldn't eat too soon before bed, maybe just out of general comfort - personally, I don't like to be full when I'm trying to sleep. However, the only problem with eating before sleep is that if sugar isn't burnt off soon after eating it then it converts very quickly into fat.

Did you know? There was a test done with a bunch of candidates who were trying to lose weight. They were all given a basically similar diet and exercise regime, except one group had to have their dessert in the morning, and the other group at night (as usual). The group who ate their dessert in the morning lost an average of approx 7kgs over the course of the experiment! (not sure how long it was) Incredible!

So basically, eat whenever you want, just try to eat sugary things earlier in the day to give your body a chance to burn it off.

What study is this.

All the studies I have seen show absolutely no negative impact on weight loss with regard to the timing of meals (all othe things being equal).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Can you link the study please?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Depends on how busy the insulin fairy is that night. Really.
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options
    Yes. If you eat a single second after the clock strikes seven, everything you eat will become a cancerous mass on your thighs and belly.

LMAO :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you ate before 7:00PM. If you have room for the additional calories and eating in the evening doesn't cause you discomfort before you go to bed there's no reason no to.

If the 7:00PM myth had any credence the whole country of Spain would have been in trouble centuries ago......La Cena (dinner) ranges anywhere from 9:00PM to midnight.
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a 2 hour rule, where you don't eat anything 2 hours before bed time.
  • AshleyLynnKenny
    Options
    I have din-din at 9pm and always a midnight snack....nope doesnt matter

What time do u go to bed???
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to when I eat. I have regularly had a snack within a couple hours of sleeping. I've been consistently losing weight. I think it has to do more with your calorie deficit over a 24 hour period than the meal timing itself.