Good heavy weights DVDs?

Options
Are there any good heavy weights workout dvds beside chalean extreme and P90x? All I'm finding are light weights/high reps.

Replies

• 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Are there any good heavy weights workout dvds beside chalean extreme and P90x? All I'm finding are light weights/high reps.
    There is a Cathe heavy series
  • georgedarling
    georgedarling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cathe Slow and Heavy series is excellent.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    chalean extreme :)
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Cathe Friedrich. cathe.com lots of info and she will impress you with her lifting!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Supreme 90 Day.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Those aren't heavy weight exercises. If you can do more than 5 reps with the weight it's not heavy in the traditional sense.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use Kelly Coffey Meyer's 30 Minutes to Fitness-Weights and Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want more answers lol
  • rtwinrn06
    rtwinrn06 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    More please!!
  • Rjohnbernales
    Options
    Hello,

I saw this thread and had to suggest body beast from beachbody. Having done this program once,I can assure you there is a lot of heavy lifting involved. It all depends on how much you want to push.

Don't be afraid to try this program just because the guys in the vids are huge. It's a good program for men and women. If you're afraid of getting too big,don't worry. It takes a lot for people to get huge...and if you're one of those genetically gifted people who pack on muscle easily,you can always pull back, re-evaluate and adjust.

Hope that helps

:)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    How has no-one mentioned the Starting Strength DVD's?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    How has no-one mentioned the Starting Strength DVD's?

Possibly because it actually involves heavy weights.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    None of those are actually heavy weights DVDs. You won't find "heavy weights" DVDs that guide you through a heavy lifting style workout because that cannot really be done outside of a gym. Starting Strength is about the only one but it is instructional only. It does not guide you through a followalong workout. You won't find such a thing with heavy weight training.
  • Rjohnbernales
    Options
    Yup,I agree with the others that Starting Strength is a really good " Heavy Weight " program.

I just assumed original poster wanted something like p90x and Chalean dvd that they could do in their living room or garage.

If you wanna start lifting real heavy and have the equipment to do Starting Strength,then that is definitely a good program to look at :)
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    None of those are actually heavy weights DVDs. You won't find "heavy weights" DVDs that guide you through a heavy lifting style workout because that cannot really be done outside of a gym. Starting Strength is about the only one but it is instructional only. It does not guide you through a followalong workout. You won't find such a thing with heavy weight training.

You know EXACTLY what the OP means. She means heavier than your average 5-10lb weight fitness dvd. Why bother saying anything if you don't have the answer to her question?! Don't be a fitness snob. Besides, "lifting heavy" is definitive by each person's fitness level. On top of that, who cares about the frickin terminology? Why does it matter? You know what she means.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You know EXACTLY what the OP means. She means heavier than your average 5-10lb weight fitness dvd. Why bother saying anything if you don't have the answer to her question?! Don't be a fitness snob. Besides, "lifting heavy" is definitive by each person's fitness level. On top of that, who cares about the frickin terminology? Why does it matter? You know what she means.

I had no idea what she meant. "Heavy weights" doesn't mean 20 lb. dumbbells. And yes, the terminology matters so that people understand what is being asked.

OP: If you're looking for "heavier than 5-10 lbs", try Les Mills Pump.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    I guess I should explain, something other than Jillian Michaels and many others that just use 5-10lb dumbbells in their DVDs.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    if you have a barbell and weights and all that, what do you need a DVD for? just do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

No, I had no idea that was what the OP meant. I thought this was someone genuinely looking to get into heavy lifting and was misinformed about how to go about it. And about heavy being relative, yes. But heavy lifting in relation to exercise is COMPOUND lifting, not ISOLATION lifting. COMPOUND exercises require significantly higher amounts of weight than what you can find in most people's dumbbell collection at home. It require use of a barbell with access to at least your body weight worth in supplemental plates for said barbell. I highly doubt you have to get your whole body behind it to move a 10 lb weight.

Now, if what the OP wants is a home program that makes the best use of relatively light isolation-grade dumbbells, then I recommend either Supreme 90 Day Challenge (which you will also need a stability ball for) or GSP Rushfit (my preference of the two).