Rubber free HRM?

I bought a 'cheap' HRM a few weeks ago to try and get a more accurate calorie burn when exercising. It works fine but the only problem is I think I've developed an allergy to rubber. I got rash 1 2 weeks ago, eventually got rid of it then made the mistake of using the HRM again today - stupid thing to do. I'm pretty sure it's an allergy to the rubber as it started to do the bumpy rash look and itches like mad! Only had water on the HEM and have been washing after each use.

da378fde.jpg
As you can see, my skin is fine towards the middle where it's plastic and on the fabric back - it's just the rubber 'wings' around the sensors that's the problem.

So my question is does a rubber free HRM exist? I keep seeing mention of fabric for the polar ft7. Is it all fabric or are there rubber 'wings' like my current one? Do I have many/any options? I don't want to spend too much but I can't go on with this HRM. :(

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    That doesn't look like an allergy to rubber as much as it looks like chaffing to me. Try putting vaseline (or body glide if you have it) on the skin where the band will rub. Hopefully it won't happen again. I would assume that your HRM has rubber on it... so unless you got a reaction on your skin there, too, it's probably not an allergy.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    That doesn't look like an allergy to rubber as much as it looks like chaffing to me. Try putting vaseline (or body glide if you have it) on the skin where the band will rub. Hopefully it won't happen again. I would assume that your HRM has rubber on it... so unless you got a reaction on your skin there, too, it's probably not an allergy.

Thanks, next time I use it I'll get some vaseline and give that a try. Far too itchy today to even consider it - another reason I thought allergy as well as it clearing up much better with anti-histamine cream over normal creams.

The only rubber anywhere on it is the red bits: everything else is plastic or fabric (you cae the line where the plastic is joining the rubber to the fabric strap). What the picture doesn't show very well (really bad old iphone photo!) is the various little bumps that appear. Is that normal with HRM chafing? Sorry if that's a stupid question but it's new to me.

It won't let me edit my original post to put up a better photo so here's one.
    rash.jpg
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    The polar FT7 strap is fabric... but the watch is rubber.

So if it was a rubber allergy, you would have a problem with the watch.

Which HRM did you buy that is doing this to you?
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member

Thanks. I imagine a rubber watch wouldn't be a problem if I wore one of my Buffs or a sweat band under it? No skin contact then. Or would it still cause issues? Hmm.

The watch for this one is polyurethane according to the book (the only thing natural rubber is the bit on the chest strap) - I've had no problems with it anyway.

It was from Lloyds Pharmacy over here in the UK. I know a few of the other Brits are using them too.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

Thanks. I imagine a rubber watch wouldn't be a problem if I wore one of my Buffs or a sweat band under it? No skin contact then. Or would it still cause issues? Hmm.

The watch for this one is polyurethane according to the book (the only thing natural rubber is the bit on the chest strap) - I've had no problems with it anyway.

It was from Lloyds Pharmacy over here in the UK. I know a few of the other Brits are using them too.

I've heard that one discussed on the boards numerous times and a lot of people like them.

I mean, you could get the polar and try the strap and see what happens.. if it is a chaffing issue though, I know people who have had problems with the polar strap and chaffing. Personally, I haven't but I have seen pictures of others did.