Reached target weight but now gaining!

Options
Ok, so about 5 days ago I reached my target weight. I then changed my weight loss plan to maintaining the same weight. I noticed it added 450 more calories each day. I also didn't exercise quite as much because I've had cramps the last few days. But when I got on the scale today, I noticed I had gained 3 pounds! I'm a little alarmed. Could it be because I've suddenly been eating more calories and exercising less? The main reason I changed my plan is because I didn't want to continue losing weight...I lost all I needed to lose. But instead of maintaining my target weight, I just seem to be packing pounds back on! Any ideas? I've changed my plan again back to trying to lose weight as I want to lose the 3 pounds I gained. I also wonder if I'm getting too hung up on numbers and not considering that my body weight fluctuates sometimes....

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    First off... great job getting at your goal... I can only IMAGINE how wonderful and accomplished you must feel!

I am certainly no expert... but it would seem to me that there is NO WAY you "gained" 3 pounds over 5 days by adding only 1300 extra calories. I would suspect that your body is adjusting and holding onto some water- this happens to me when I kill it exercising... I think you are fine....and great job again! Dont stress!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    First off... great job getting at your goal... I can only IMAGINE how wonderful and accomplished you must feel!

I am certainly no expert... but it would seem to me that there is NO WAY you "gained" 3 pounds over 5 days by adding only 1300 extra calories. I would suspect that your body is adjusting and holding onto some water- this happens to me when I kill it exercising... I think you are fine....and great job again! Dont stress!

Exactly!

It should be expected when you change your diet in anyway for water to fluctuate. No way you gained 3lbs of fat in 5 days at maintenance.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You are getting too hung up on numbers. My guess is that you have been eating the same for a long time and now that you have upped your body is saying whoa!! That's ok! You can do a few things. You can slowly up your calories so your body doesn't go into shock. Or you can wait it out. Either way, maintaining usually means staying at your goal weight within 5 or so lbs. and you are fine. Pay attention to how your clothes fit.
  • coolclimates
    Options
    thanks, everyone. I also need to clarify that I'm on my period right now (although almost done with it) and I suppose that some of the weight gain could be due to that? I never really notice my weight fluctuating a lot during my time of the month but I suppose that could also be a factor?
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That time of the month definitely has something to do with water retention. Watch salty foods and salt and you will probably lose it
    in a week or so. Congrat on reaching your goal.
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Some women do have weight gain during their menstral. Also a fluctuation of 3 lbs or so is normal.
    Congrats!!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I gained a few pounds after I hit my goal weight too. It turned out to be water as it came back off a few days later.

You will be just fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also before jumping right to maintenance add 200 calories for a few weeks and then add the rest. This will help your body adjust.
  • hereicomeskinnymini
    Options
    Hun, take it slow. Don't automatically increase your calories to maintaining weight. You body is probally confused at the sudden increase in calorie intake. Increase your calorie intake a bit everyday so it will not be such a shock for your body. Increase step by step untill you reach your maintaining weight calorie intake, and do not exceed your calories after that. Your body will get used to taking in that amount of calories, so it should not cause you to gain any weight. Hope i could help!! :smile: and congrats on reaching your goal!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, you didn't gain 3 lbs in 5 days. That's basically impossible unless you've been WAY over calories. By 10,000 or so, which I'm guessing you haven't.

I go by the 3 day rule. If I see a loss or a gain, I don't count it as real unless I see it 3 days in a row. Weigh yourself on Friday and see where you are. By then, any TOM gain should have taken care of itself.

Remember that calorie suggestions are averages for people. Could be that over time, you'll find you need to eat more or less than the additional 450 calories to maintain your weight.

My question - why are you exercising less? Exercise is more than about weight loss. It's about being healthier.
  • coolclimates
    Options
    I exercised less in the last few days because I've been on my period and mine are painful and heavy. I have just about resumed my normal exercise now. Yes, probably upping the calorie intake too suddenly may have confused my body as well. It's one thing for a machine to tell you what to do, but it's another thing as to how an actual human body responds to what looks good on paper!
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on here. Try to think of your target weight as range so when you fluctuate +/- 3-5 pounds you don't get freaked out. Pay attention to trends and if it is going up week after week then revisit your settings.
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am also at my goal weight and I weigh everyday and when I show a gain I go back to eating 1200 calories (that is what I did to lose the weight in the first place) and it comes right off.

You can NEVER go back to your old eating habits.

I had a medical BMR test when I reached goal and the test stated I could be 1459 calories per day for maintenance. NO WAY! If I ate that many calories I would put it all back on.

You know what works, watch your sodium, weigh daily. Good Luck and keep me posted.
  • coolclimates
    Options
    I don't weigh myself daily because I don't have a scale. My dad has one and when I visit home (usually several times a week), I try to weigh myself. I know if I were to buy my own scale, I would obsessively weigh myself many times a day. I think it would run my life. OCD runs in my family and so I don't have my own scale for that very reason.
  • coolclimates
    Options
    well, I weighed myself again today and I'm 2 lbs lighter than yesterday! So I think that some of it may have just been bloated weight that I gain when I get my period. Anyway, I don't feel so bad now.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    well, I weighed myself again today and I'm 2 lbs lighter than yesterday! So I think that some of it may have just been bloated weight that I gain when I get my period. Anyway, I don't feel so bad now.

Fantastic! Happy to hear it was one of those temporary things. Most are.