How long to wait before weight lifting?

Options
Hello everyone,
I am just wondering how long you waited before you incorporated weight lifting into your workout routine? I am about 20 pounds away from my goal weight, but I feel like every time I start incorporating weight lifting, the number on the scale jumps up. So I am wondering if maybe I should wait until I am satisfied with the number on the scale before I start lifting, just so I can avoid that number going up?

Thank you for all suggestions

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    no reason to wait in my opinion.
    start now and make sure you lift heavy. ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    no reason to wait in my opinion.
    start now and make sure you lift heavy. ;)

this
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so it will jump up at first, BUT you body fat % will drop so you will be smaller in inches but the scale might not move for a month or even two. you have to lift weights, heavy, max out, I use free weights, some people like machines, but free weights are cheaper for me because I can do them at home. I have lost 9% body fat, 15 lbs, and 8 inches over my body in two months incorporating heavy lifting when I reached a platue....one thing I really love, is I am noticeably much smaller but have some muscles to fill out my skin. Before I was thin, but had lose hanging skin on my arms, now its got muscles in it with no hang. I started with the tosca reno your best body now book and built my routine off of that using free weights, now I add other movements every two weeks to keep my muscles guessing. Was a powerlifter in jr high, so free weights come natural to me now. Add me if you like, ask questions if you need too, everyone will pitch in to help
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday.