Does anyone else have this problem?

Options
SpazEMcGee
SpazEMcGee Posts: 55 Member
I know chocolate is not part of the healthy diet, but let's be honest, it is SUPER hard to stay away from chocolate! BUT! Every time I eat chocolate, I will be sleepy within 5 minutes....like eyes-glazed-over-I-need-to-sleep-right-now kind of sleepy. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• lalalalyndsey
    lalalalyndsey Posts: 565
    Options
    Bumping so maybe you'll get some answers... I'm curious!!
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    Thanks! lol
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No. I don't have that problem. Thought I'd help out by bumpin though. :)

Love chocolate! Yummy. :D
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    NUTELLA mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I know chocolate is not part of the healthy diet, but let's be honest, it is SUPER hard to stay away from chocolate! BUT! Every time I eat chocolate, I will be sleepy within 5 minutes....like eyes-glazed-over-I-need-to-sleep-right-now kind of sleepy. Does anyone else have this problem?

Its because you are eating simple-carbohydrates. They are high glycemic meaning, to consume this your blood sugar will have a spike, and then a dump in a matter of minutes...

You also could be carb-sensitive as well. I have many patients who are like that actually....

I have Insulin Resistance so I cant eat chocolate at all. To be honest I really dont miss it.... and knocking out cold isnt what I want happening when Im behind the wheel of my car....
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    Omg I love Nutella on sandwich bread...but if I eat it I'd be asleep before I finished the sandwich :-/
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options

Its because you are eating simple-carbohydrates. They are high glycemic meaning, to consume this your blood sugar will have a spike, and then a dump in a matter of minutes...

You also could be carb-sensitive as well. I have many patients who are like that actually....

I have Insulin Resistance so I cant eat chocolate at all. To be honest I really dont miss it.... and knocking out cold isnt what I want happening when Im behind the wheel of my car....

Thank you for answering! Will blood sugar drop that fast? Like within 5 minutes? I didn't know it could do that. :-/ and it doesn't happen with all sugars...just chocolate stuff. :-/ but I looooove chocolate. :(
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My mom has diabetes. Before she was diagnosed....this is what she went through with every cookie! Maybe get your sugar checked?
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Love Nutella on Crepes. :D Haven't had crepe for a while though. So glad i'm craving oatmeal...^.^
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    My mom has diabetes. Before she was diagnosed....this is what she went through with every cookie! Maybe get your sugar checked?

Oh I hope I'm not diabetic! I love chocolate and sugar too much :(
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Have you had a glucose tolerance test done ? Ask your doctor for this test. This can be a very serious condition and may become diabetes.
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    Have you had a glucose tolerance test done ? Ask your doctor for this test. This can be a very serious condition and may become diabetes.

Can you just do that by going to the doctors office? Like you don't have to go to a special place to do that do you?
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    Love Nutella on Crepes. :D Haven't had crepe for a while though. So glad i'm craving oatmeal...^.^

Oh my gosh Nutella Crepes!! Those are sooooooo good!!!!!
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options

its not just chocolate that spikes your insulin and you have blood sugar crashes , its most of the refined sugars and starches that have the same effect if not more then chocolate- dark cacoa chocolate is lower on the G.I.scale and full of antioxidents-Ty
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and that's how I react to sugar. You might want to google it and see if you have any of the other symptoms.
  • sammyk1976
    sammyk1976 Posts: 1
    Options
    You could be having a reactive hypoglycemic reaction to the sugar - If I eat too much sugar at once, my blood sugar will spike so my body will double the amount of insulin output, so then I have to have more sugar to get rid of the excess insulin. It's safer to just avoid most sugars.

on a side note... omg Nutella is the best thing EVAH! (and yeah, after a couple servings puts me into a vegetative sugar coma)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat chocolate any more.

Nutella scares me.
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and that's how I react to sugar. You might want to google it and see if you have any of the other symptoms.

Oh goodness! Ok thanks I will definitely check that out!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It's called being chocolate wasted!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPaw6SUwgE8cUB6ZqyrkDDBGgJLeGcv0aRohZJvXYviRlE-R1Llg
  • JamesOfLondon
    JamesOfLondon Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Are you being handed these Chocs by strange men who you've never net before!