NHL Playoffs

Options
theleftie
theleftie Posts: 366
?action=view&current=x2_c3f4d03.jpg[img][/img]

So - m y viewpoint is skewed more towards hockey being the greatest sport in the world - nut one of the reasons I love it so much is the level of sacrifice. Hence a picture of Chicago defenceman Sami Liposto's left knee after blocking a slap shot against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Many games I've seen have featured guys banged up like this continuing to play. Only football is as tough as this sport - although I would contend hockey is still a better sport.

Thoughts?

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I once had some assclown tell me that hockey requires no skill whatsoever...needless to say, we no longer speak.
  • theleftie
    Options
    alright - someone teach me how to post that picture - it is amazing.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    Well damn...I tried to fix the picture...
  • theleftie
    Options
    I once had some assclown tell me that hockey requires no skill whatsoever...needless to say, we no longer speak.

assclown indeed
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

assclown indeed

The closest hockey to me is the San Jose Sharks; so that does NOT count. I miss my Flyers...especially during playoff season.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I agree - lot's of body damage! I've known 2 guys who have broken their legs playing, one sliding into the boards.. not to mention Taylor Hall's nasty cut!

Oh and go Caps!

taylor-hall-eye-injury.jpg
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    nm, fixed before I did
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

assclown indeed

The closest hockey to me is the San Jose Sharks; so that does NOT count. I miss my Flyers...especially during playoff season.

not that I have any room to create an argument, I'm a sharks fan, so that does count
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    this one?

x2_c3f4d03.jpg
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    this one?

x2_c3f4d03.jpg

Mine has a scar, I like it better!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hockey is second only to football in my book - and it's a close second. Like 1 and 1A. Playoff hockey, on the other hand, is by far the best thing to watch. We lived in Raleigh, NC and were season ticket holders for the Hurricanes for a few years - went to almost every home playoff game the year they won the cup. I always say that the only thing better than playoff hockey is overtime playoff hockey.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    I love this argument. Seeing as hockey is played on ICE it requires a lot more skill than any major sport in North America. Anyone can run on grass (or court), but skating on ice is completely foreign.

Simply put, get any professional hockey player and they will be able to do most football drills. Get any football player and give them skates and put them on the ice and they will struggle to just stay on their feet let alone participate in drills.

I'm biased, I'm Canadian and live for hockey. I'm a Leafs fan (no jokes please the last 7 years have been tough enough) and a sports fan but hockey due to the playing surface requires the most skill. I would place golf a close second, I have thrown fits on golf courses. That small ball just refuses to go in the direction of the flag sometimes.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

assclown indeed

not that I have any room to create an argument, I'm a sharks fan, so that does count

I've been to the Shark Tank...no it doesn't, LOL :bigsmile: But my opinion is skewed...I'm used to East Coast nastiness at the games
  • Hartman1986
    Hartman1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love this argument. Seeing as hockey is played on ICE it requires a lot more skill than any major sport in North America. Anyone can run on grass (or court), but skating on ice is completely foreign.

Simply put, get any professional hockey player and they will be able to do most football drills. Get any football player and give them skates and put them on the ice and they will struggle to just stay on their feet let alone participate in drills.

I'm biased, I'm Canadian and live for hockey. I'm a Leafs fan (no jokes please the last 7 years have been tough enough) and a sports fan but hockey due to the playing surface requires the most skill. I would place golf a close second, I have thrown fits on golf courses. That small ball just refuses to go in the direction of the flag sometimes.

I wouldnt dare make a joke. I'm a Minnisota fan. I think I might have it a bit worse off.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options

I wouldnt dare make a joke. I'm a Minnisota fan. I think I might have it a bit worse off.

You still see a lot of North Star jerseys at Dallas Stars games.
  • theleftie
    Options

This ^^^^ is always my argument. I have met and known several NCAA Div 1 football players and a few that made the NFL. Those guys ARE amazing athletes - BUT - as you've indicated, football is played in a medium where just about everyone is equal. Ice - on the other hand, is a different deal. The constant speed and decision making which is necessary for hockey is unparalleled in any other major sport. Playoff hockey, that is just a different level - whether it be NCAA or NHL.

Golf. I always laughed at my buddies who played. I am such an addict now. What a great game.

Great words bud.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    the hardest thing to do in any sport is hit a baseball.

and for me World Cup soccer is the best sports event to watch.
  • theleftie
    Options
    this one?

x2_c3f4d03.jpg

Yeah - that's the one....
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    really... hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports. I'm pretty sure anyone who can run and hold a bat can lay down a bunt.

If you said hitting a fastball for a home run, you would have a better argument. You would still lose though. Try hitting a one timer and beating a goalie. One can be done in an afternoon the other, esp if you can't skate, will take years to develop (if at all).
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    a one timer isnt coming at you at 95 mph or breaking like a breaking ball. ive played both sports and it is a lot easier to connect on a one timer than trying to hit a baseball. your argument would be better if you were comparing it to trying to get a redirect.

but like you said for overall most difficult sport to play hockey may be the answer because you have the added difficulty of learning to skate.