sweet potato

Options
i'm wanting to try sweet potato's (yams)..any suggestions on how to cook them?

Replies

• karilynn
    Options
    i'm wanting to try sweet potato's (yams)..any suggestions on how to cook them?
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bake in the oven like a white potatoe until tender. Then scoop out the insides add a little butter or margarine maybe some brown sugar if you like. Try without the sugar first though they are really sweet.

You can even microwave them until soft. Baked is better though.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I love both...mostly cook sweet potatos though....

I love them baked and cut open when done and mash the insides then a either dab of butter or even a spray of butter spray and sprinkle of cinnamon ....yum!

mashed are great too, w/ a bit of nonfat milk and butter, cinnamon or nutmeg...really good!

I also like them roasted in a pyrex I will cut them up skins and all, cut up a few onions, spray w/ olive oil to coat and mix up and sprinkle w/ parsley.....cover w/ tinfoil for about 20 mins and then uncover and let get brown turning carefully....its really good! If you like mushrooms quarter up some and add those too they go really well even though they sound like they wouldn't....

I have some really fattening recipes for pies and sweet potato bake...but I'll stop right there lol...

hugs!
    Ali
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Thu 01/10/08 12:21 PM2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces and put in a 9 by 13 baking dish. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, honey and lemon juice. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt, and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, until potatoes are tender.

Nutrition Information
    Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 167
    Total fat 4.5 grams Saturated fat 0.5 grams
    Protein 2 grams Carbohydrates 30 grams
    Fiber 4 grams

3/4 Cup each

dd
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh yum! lol honey and sweet potatos....nice combo!!!!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Peel one, cut it into french fries, toss the "fries" with a 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and salt and lay them out on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake them at about 400 until ready. I like mine crispy, but any way you do it, they're divine!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMM :happy:

I microwave mine so I can eat them as soon as possible, I LOVE them!!!! A little Smart Balance spread and I'm good to go. If I really want to make it fancy, I chop it up, and sprinkle splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little milk and mush it all.
  • jcummings69
    Options
    I cut them in to thin slices and drizzle with a little olive oil then sprinkle with cinnamon. Then bake at 400 until golden. YUM!