Eggs making me sick?

Options
For a while I was making my own egg sandwiches every day for breakfast using one whole hard fried egg ...but lately I've been getting really sick to my stomach all day after I eat any kind of egg. I used to have this problem and then I stopped having it so I started eating eggs again and now it seems like its back, but it took a week of eating them before I got sick. Anyone else have this problem? I'm sad because I love my breakfast egg sandwich :(

**Ive also tried using egg whites only and using a not fried egg but I still get sick

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    First thing that comes to mind - make sure they are not expired....

You may want to consider talking with an Allergist about getting tested...

Another thing to consider - what exactly are you eating WITH the egg? I know some people are carb-sensitive and got rid of the bread from the equation and realized the egg was perfectly fine with them, in fact it was the bread making the problem happen....
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Hate to say it... you could have developed an allergy or intolerance to them. Allergies can start or stop at any time. If it keeps up I would about an allergy test.

I developed an allergy to poultry, among other things, in high school but it stopped after I gave birth to my son. Didn't know it till I had an allergy test done on my skin. Well I knew I was having a reaction to something, just didn't know to what.

I wish you luck.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    ahhh.. Yeah I have tried the eggs without bread and still had the same problem.. I was thinking about trying the all natural organic kind of eggs to see if that would help but I really don't want to give them up :(...
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of cliche but could it be morning sickness?
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Most people, if they are allergic to eggs, are allergic to the egg whites, not the yolk.
    My guess is that you are sensitive, and you can probably have them in small amounts once your system gets over the current situation.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor and talk to them about it. He'll make you go on an elimination diet before giving you a simple test to see if you are in fact allergic to them.
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    haha definitely not. Unless I've had a year long mystery pregnancy :P
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of cliche but could it be morning sickness?

I was thinking this. Eggs make me super sick when I'm pregnant with a girl.

Or, it could be an allergy.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Yeah, I feel queasy after I eat scrambled eggs.

I also had a problem with chicken. Not necessarily an allergy, just like a sensitivity. A guy I worked with said it was most likely an allergy to what the chickens were fed or the chemicals used to bulk them up. The same could be true for the eggs. So yeah, try organic!
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor and talk to them about it. He'll make you go on an elimination diet before giving you a simple test to see if you are in fact allergic to them.

Yeah, I figured that's what they would do but I never get sick when I eat anything else. Only if I add eggs... BUT I can eat stuff made with eggs just fine! even if its made with lots of eggs...weird?
  • SucessforSandy
    SucessforSandy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New and not sure how this works but please see your family Doctor and get checked out for possible medical issues such as your gall bladder. For the next few days, up your water intake and see if that helps.:flowerforyou:
  • na_tully
    na_tully Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. And since I had my child it has been even worse. I have found that if the egg s cooked at high temps it isn't as bad eg well cooked cakes and I even ate a quiche and thought I was going to be sick as but wasn't. I need to get tested too. But I miss eggs too
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I think I will try to find organic eggs, but I'm not sure where to get them because I haven't seen them at walmart..we have an HEB store too...Any advice for brand of eggs?
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I guess I've heard of stranger things... lol I would try the organic eggs like others suggested and if that doesn't change anything I'd get the allergy test done, sucks not to be able to eat the things that you like :( I'm allergic to fresh apples and peaches, but I can eat them cooked - go figure
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I have the same problem. And since I had my child it has been even worse. I have found that if the egg s cooked at high temps it isn't as bad eg well cooked cakes and I even ate a quiche and thought I was going to be sick as but wasn't. I need to get tested too. But I miss eggs too

Now that you mention it I feel like I've only gotten sick since I've had my son 2 years ago...Its not all the time but its about a 50/50 chance I get sick...I think I remember feeling sick just a couple times when I was little.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This JUST happened to my boyfriend. For a few months, we thought he had become lactose intolerant (which seemed plausible based on age/background). He would get HORRIBLY ill, crying and even screaming from abdominal pain for 6 hours (and this is a huge guy with a high pain tolerance), with nothing helping. We nearly called 911 a number of times thinking it must be his appendix or something seriously wrong, but would put it off for a bit because we couldn't afford it, and it would go away after a few hours. Then last week, I gave him a breakfast burrito with just the tiniest amount of sour cream on it, which he took with two Lactaid pills and had the worst attack yet. We were baffled as to why the pills had stopped working, but decided to cut out all dairy.

Two days later, I gave him a totally lactose-free breakfast of eggs and toast, and there was another attack. It finally dawned on us that while every attack had occurred after having something containing dairy (though we often had to think back several hours to find it), it was always right after having eggs. We tested it last week with a frozen pizza, and sure enough, he's just fine with the dairy. For whatever reason, eggs are causing this extreme reaction.

I have no idea what might cause it, but I imagine it's possible that the same thing happened to you. The best thing I can think of is just to avoid it and not even risk the reaction.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Hmm... I don't know of any brands... I'm lucky enough that my dad has a co-worker who raises chickens so we get ours from him. Maybe try a smaller store instead of a big chain store like Walmart?
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have this and I know a few others do too. Sometimes eggs are awesome and I can eat them a lot, other times I can't stand them and even the thought of eating them makes me sick and I -cannot- eat them. It's been a slow cycle for as long as I can remember and I have no idea why. For months eggs are fine and for months they're vile.

The source or age of the eggs makes no difference whatsoever.
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I guess I've heard of stranger things... lol I would try the organic eggs like others suggested and if that doesn't change anything I'd get the allergy test done, sucks not to be able to eat the things that you like :( I'm allergic to fresh apples and peaches, but I can eat them cooked - go figure

LOL wow! That's crazy I've never heard of that...at least you can have them some way? Do you think its the pesticides or something?
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. I switched to organic or farm fresh eggs when I can get them and that helped. Sometimes they do not bother me AT ALL, and sometimes my mouth gets dry and my stomach is queasy and churning like I ate something bad.

But they're from the same carton, so who knows...

Hopefully organic will work for you.