Fluctuating Weight... 5lbs in one day?!

Options
2»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can easily fluctuate 5lbs in a day (heck, I can go up and down in a matter of hours!). A lot of people will tell you to only weigh in once a week, at the same time, in the same clothes, etc so you'll get an accurate weight. I personally weigh in everyday (I'm in maintenance and it keeps me on track!) but I don't freak out if I'm up a little bit. I've done the weigh in everyday thing for so long that I can usually pinpoint exactly why my weight is up from one day to the next (right now it is up because I started a new job that required me to completely switch shifts - from 2nd to 1st and I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting and have been using caffeine - namely sugar free energy drinks - to get through the day. These make me retain water - hence the gain). Don't panic. It is completely normal for our bodies to fluctuate. This is the time to decide one of two things: If the gain will make you freak out, only weigh in once a week. If you think it'll help you learn more about how things affect your body, by all means -- weigh everyday. But, remember: Same time. Same clothes (or lack thereof), same scale.
  • abouttime67
    abouttime67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I read all comments, and agree with most of you , not to wiegh yourselves a night. Weigh in should be done in the mornings, and recommended weigh in should be once a week, not everyday.

Perfect post by another member explaiing how salt, hormones,....contribute to these figures on the scalle. so be aware of them.

Regards,
    Sarmani11
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yay! You guys were right! lol Had no idea it would fluctuate that much. Now I'm back down since I weighted this morning. Now I must stay away from the scale so I don't discourage myself any more :blushing: I think weighing myself is an addition... Thanks everyone and have a nice day!
    YAY!
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing on the low side in the morning and on the high side in the afternoon after I get home from work - with about a 4 lb fluctuation! I'm not eating 4 lbs of food so it must be water, juice, tea, etc combined.

I thought it was the new BMI scale I just got, but now I understand that I should weigh myself at the same time each day.

Thanks for this discussion - I'm glad I found it.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Keep in mind that water is VERY heavy. When you get out of bed, it's a great time to get a consistent weight, but it's also a time when you're nearly dehydrated. By the time you've had a couple glasses of water, you could weigh a few pounds more already. Just stick to your normal weigh-in once per day; don't scare yourself.
  • cheerupemochic
    Options
    I always have this concern, myself. I typically go up 2.5 lbs by the end of the day, and the worst part is, it shows!

But thankfully, I came across this thread, and found the response to the original question invaluable:

www.peertrainer.com/LoungeCommunityThread.aspx?ForumID=1&ThreadID=15374

It has just about every piece of information influencing your weight that you might imagine! Good luck, and try not to get discouraged. I'm trying to do the same. :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Totally normal -- in the morning I trust my weight, when I get home from work I weigh again and I'm usually almost always 1-1.5 pounds higher in weight.
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    quite normal to fluctuate...hate weighin at night, but my diet class is at night, so i have to just go by same time same clothes to make sure i have not misread the scales...
    i do weigh myslef daily..but thats just me being a control freak!!!
  • lalinda07
    lalinda07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So glade i am not the only one ugh
  • DaveProsser
    DaveProsser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same happens to me
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its very normal to 'gain' 5lbs from morning to night - a lot of undigested food/fluids etc. Choose one time of the day to weigh and stick to that.