How do you stop the cravings if you are addicted to food?

Options
I love food, all I think about sometimes is food. I was fine keeping the cravings and the binges at bay until I quit smoking gained back everything I lost and now I don't have anything to keep my mind off the food. I know try to excercise and go for a walk but sometimes that is not feasible. Just wondering if anyone else might have the same problem and have some tips to help.

Replies

• 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love food, all I think about sometimes is food. I was fine keeping the cravings and the binges at bay until I quit smoking gained back everything I lost and now I don't have anything to keep my mind off the food. I know try to excercise and go for a walk but sometimes that is not feasible. Just wondering if anyone else might have the same problem and have some tips to help.
    I plan my meals and make sure to include lots of stuff that I like within my calorie limits.
    I eat lots of protein and fruit/veg.
    I drink different flavor herbal teas (like chocolate mint) in the evening when I don't want to eat anymore.
    I don't eat chips.
    I find when I watch what I eat I enjoy food even more.
    Have a cheat meal or day once a week.
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me cutting out virtually all added sugar and upping my protein intake to be at least 30% of my diet. Also I don't cut too much fat out just make it healthier fats. Eating more fiber. And just generally eating as clean as possible.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I plan/pack my meals and keep it healthy enough to where I'm basically eating/snacking all day but stay in my calorie/macro limits. It's the easiest thing. I'm ALWAYS eating so I don't have to think about food.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have heard that fish oil can help control some cravings, but I don't know if there is really any merit. Might be worth looking into though!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm there with you! I love food! Now I love to think about how the food I eat affects me, so I will start to think of really healthy food combinations and recipes that will taste so yummy.

I refuse to eat the bad things that in the beginning I felt I was deprived of, because I know I will be depriving my health and my goals if I eat those things. Fries? Um, yup, love 'em! Will I eat a container? No! Will I eat some off my husbands plate? Sure! But I will also track those 10 fries I ate.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard, but the less junk you eat the less you will be tempted. It is also harder to do the whole "well, I already had a bite of that chocolate bar, so today is messed up and I'll just go have more" if you never had a bite in the first place.

That's a bad example, because being too restrictive makes you crazy and leads to failure, but when I eat less processed sugar, I want it less. I can even resist it when it is in my house, sitting near me at my office, or any other scenario because I don't crave that super sweetness.
  • Shmemily001
    Shmemily001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to food for awhile. I wanted to eat even when I wasn't hungry, and sometimes that feeling comes back every once in awhile. To break the habit, I cut out all junk foods, and cut back on my carb intake so I could get my blood sugar under control. I tried to eat satiating foods like high quality eggs, grass fed organic cow butter, high quality meats, and veggies (minimal fruit), and started taking fish oil supplements as well as probiotics.

Following this plan, I was able to drastically cut back on my cravings and my desire to eat when I wasn't hungry. Now I am able to eat around 1500 calories a day, and never feel hungry or unsatisfied. My taste buds have changed so I don't like the taste of most junk foods anymore. Its amazing how different I view food and how I feel about it. I still have to avoid carbs a lot because carbs tend to make me more hungry, but I don't completely avoid them. I've found a good balance for me.

I wish you luck on your journey. Determination as well. :wink:

Here is a REALLY good video about why you should get in control of your blood sugar to control your cravings. I love this video. Science!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3TRbkIrow&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLj1LbGUWmkTZTDgRGeRMMyQ
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are thinking about food all of the time, try to find activities which you truly enjoy and will keep your mind off of the food. Preferably, something active and outdoorsy? I also love food and I have learned to not cut out foods I enjoy, just eat less of them.

Good luck!
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    water! Guzzel it down... also plan meals... give ur self mini treats if your dying... Clear out the house of bad stuff then you don't have an option ! If you are out to dinner which is the hardest try and order something healthy!
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I see a dietitian who has helped me recognize why I binge eat, and why I was addicted to food. Food is the worst addiction because you HAVE to have it in order to live. It's not something you can just give up. One thing that might help is eating smaller meals more frequently and cutting out just one thing that you can. For me, I cut out packaged cakes. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but that helped put me on the right path and made me feel in control rather than the food controlling me. It also helped get my cholesterol to a better level! Good luck and don't give up!
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For me I had to assess when I was hungry...it was the hardest thing for me to do. But to figure out when I have real hunger and a true need to eat helped me greatly. The cravings dont stop until you get control of yourself. Planning and prepacking is great and will help, but it will not stop it. The only way to stop it is to discover the relationship you have with food, and instead of indulging in it as if it were a lover of some type...indulge as if it were a good friend. Too many people eat because of emotion or because they just want it, and this is unhealthy. I advise you to be brutally honest with yourself when you go to eat, are you hungry or do you just want it? Hope this helps and good luck to you.
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I mute the sound on my TV when any food commerical comes on as that has been a trigger for me to eat when I am not hungry. Cake shows were my favorite and I no longer watch them as well as any food shows. (These are my triggers)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Change the foods you eat so that your body is getting the nutrients you need and you aren't consuming substances the food industry puts in your food to make you want to eat MORE! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/24/hungry-for-change.aspx?np=true
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Die....?

0_o ??????
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This is something I also struggle with. One thing I do is brush my teeth. No one wants to eat with minty fresh breath! Besides, food doesn't taste good right after you brush!

My biggest problem is in the evening-after dinner. I am not hungry, but I crave junk food. But I think my real problem is I am tired. So I am trying to go to bed a little earlier-with a book if I don't think I'm sleepy. I just can't eat in bed and I am usually asleep before I have read too many pages.
  • SherryLohr
    SherryLohr Posts: 18
    Options
    I eat it! BUT I have a small portion of it. An example is my daughter just turning 6. We had 2 cakes, one on her birthday and 1 for her party. I had child size pieces and didn't even finish it. As long as you are working out and eating healthy you can have a little something special here and there. You can also find recipes to make some of the things you love and without all the calories. Don't try to diet by taking away everything you enjoyed. You will hate it after a while. Eat smart, exercise and lightly indulge in what you love twice a month or so. Hang in there and soon you will be feeling so good about yourself your brain will forget all about the food it thinks it wants. I also got the Fiber One brownies and they are really good and only 90 calories! :)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but you might want to read the book " The easy way to quit smoking" by Allan Carr. I realize you quit smoking but it appears that you have transferred your craving for nicotine ( endorphin rush) over to food which is another endorphin rush. The author can explain why your craving and how to deal with it. It certainly worked for me. Good luck on your journey. :smile:
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love the great Ideas, minus the one and you know who you are!! I did great for awhile and felt much better when I was eating better so I know it works it is just getting past that point again!

Thanks all I appreciate the help and the willingness to help me bad habits and all LOL.:blushing:
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is something I also struggle with. One thing I do is brush my teeth. No one wants to eat with minty fresh breath! Besides, food doesn't taste good right after you brush!

My biggest problem is in the evening-after dinner. I am not hungry, but I crave junk food. But I think my real problem is I am tired. So I am trying to go to bed a little earlier-with a book if I don't think I'm sleepy. I just can't eat in bed and I am usually asleep before I have read too many pages.

Love this idea!!
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I came across this article @ peertrainer a few days ago - please don't take offense; I do not mean to imply that you have a lot of weight to lose! *I* have a lot to lose - 150#!!!

Step two of this peertrainer article recommends something similar to the above poster - increasing nutrient density will begin to kill and 'crowd out' cravings - it's almost a volumetrics-type approach ... I am a sugar addict and so far this approach is helping me - a big lunch of chicken breast and greens has helped keep me on track during the evening.

anyway here's the link http://www.peertrainer.com/how_to/how_to_lose_a_lot_of_weight.aspx - best of luck!