My first 5k?

Options
Im currently doing c25k...supposed to do week 9 day 1 tomorrow. However, I run incredibly slow. Like, on my 28 minute runs this past week, I averaged about 1.85 miles each-my longest run in 28 minutes was 1.9 miles. At this point, I can't even run 3 miles straight through yet. :blushing: I live in the foothills and probably between 1/4th and 1/2 of my running route each time is uphill...I think that may be part of the reason that I don't run very quickly...well, that and i'm just slow right now. I'm new to running, but i'm working on it.

I signed up for a 5k on May 28th, giving me 4 weeks to work on my running...I am afraid if I don't run fast enough I won't be able to complete the race? Do they disqualify people who don't run fast enough?

I was thinking about doing the Hal Higdon novice 5k training program starting next week (after I graduate c25k), and just starting with week 3 or so, which would have me on week 6 (I think) by racetime, hopefully helping me to be able to complete the distance. Does this sound like a good idea?

Do you think it's possible that I will be ready to complete a 5k by 4 weeks out with the very small mileage base I currently have? I know I could definitely walk some of it, but, if possible i'd love to run the whole thing. The race itself is in the foothills (local), so it will be uphill/downhill like my current runs. I guess I should be glad i've been doing hills since the beginning. :tongue:

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    There's people of every speed at a race, including walkers. You won't be disqualified. And I bet you'll surprise yourself and finish loads faster than you thought you would once you have those wonderful race day endorphins. And it's great that you're running hills. :smile:

I run as much as two minutes faster per mile during races than when I'm just our running for exercise.
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    HI, i am currently training also for c25k. my first 5k is May 20th and im on week 4 day 2 right now. I tried doing week4 d2 but my side just wouldnt do it yesterday so im going tomorrow morning to try again. As long as your running the race i wouldnt worry so much on the time right now, just the fact that your finishing it. Im not a fast runner either. Im right at 5.5-5.7 in speed..and i ran a mile in 12 mins so im still slow..lol add me and we can motivate through c25k. I love the program. Ill only be on week 7 when the 5k comes up. I hope i can do it too....
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    I completed my first 5K using Hal Higdon's novice program and am hoping to run another 5K in June.

Absolutely do not worry about your speed. You will not get disqualified from the race at all. The first 5K is JUST about finishing the race and making it across that finish line (see Hal's advice on this!) I think you can do it! Just remember, your goal is to finish, not to run it under a certain time.

Good luck!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    No one is disqualified from a 5k!

The fact that you're training on hills is only going to make you a stronger runner in the end. Do your 5k...you will do fine!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the c25k training plans, but it sounds like you've been able to do just about two miles. It is very reasonable to increase your milage by .25 miles for the next 4 weeks, getting you to the milage for 5k by the end of may. Having said that, it's probably not even necessary. It might help you mentally to know that you have already covered the distance, but physically if you just continue your training you should be fine. As for speed, don't worry about it. There are many many people who walk the entire 5k. There will be others running/walking at your speed as well. When you line up to start the race, line up at the back, in front of the walkers so that you do not get caught up in the rush of all the faster runners. Then just run what is comfortable for you. If you need to take a walk break, do so. As soon as you are ready to run again, do so. Focus on your breathing, relax, and enjoy the experience.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    There's people of every speed at a race, including walkers. You won't be disqualified. And I bet you'll surprise yourself and finish loads faster than you thought you would once you have those wonderful race day endorphins. And it's great that you're running hills. :smile:

I run as much as two minutes faster per mile during races than when I'm just our running for exercise.

I agree with the above...I always run faster during a race...its the endorphins for sure!!! You will be just fine sweetie and the hills are just a bonus, believe me there will come a time when you are thankful you did them....
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! You will be amazed how much a race atmosphere pushes you. The adrenaline, even if you're really not a competitive person, is pretty cool. You're doing terrific and a lot of people have a really hard time with C25K on totally flat courses so the fact that you're doing it on hills and getting somewhere is impressive. You're obviously dedicated! I bet you'll run the whole thing, but even if you don't that's fine too. Lots of people walk at 5ks. Highly recommend Hal Higdon, he took me from 5k to half marathon injury and (mostly) frustration free! Good luck!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner as well. What I did once I finished C25K W9D3 was to start running through the warmup and cool down times. Then once that got easier, I added five more minutes. I figured that I should be able to finish the race in 45 minutes even at my slow pace. That first race day was scary, I was nauseous and wanted to quit the first quarter mile or so but I pushed through it. The adreneline of a race will push you more than you realize. I went into that first race just wanting to finish without walking and I completed it in 33:43. It was the most amazing feeling.

You CAN do this!!!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything LorinaLynn said. Don't think of your first race as a competition against other people, sure it's a race so you ARE against other people, but instead think of it as a competition against you and you alone. You're taking a huge step in the right direction and you should be very proud of yourself :)

I'm a C25K graduate and am running my first 5k this July (unless I find another good one in my area before). Add me if you like!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Run it and have fun! I ran my first 5K on the last day of week 8 of C25K. I walked the first 5 minutes and ran the rest. I did my second 5K one week later and walked the first 2 minutes, then ran the rest. I just kept running (slow) and didn't try to run fast until I saw the finish line. Be courageous and enjoy the experience!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You'll do fine! Don't worry about what others think, you're doing this for you, right? Anyway, my first time I had a friend who helped me out, no fancy programs but she pushed when I wanted to quit and the best advice she gave me was to just finish and don't worry about the clock. She ended up beating my time by almost 5 minutes but the feeling I got as I crossed the finish was unforgettable! I fell out of practice and so I'm also using C25K and finding that it kind of babies me so I push myself to run just a few seconds more when it tells me to walk and I am also using the warm up time to try and run more and do my cool down after the time is up.
  • KirklandPaul
    Options
    You'll surprise yourself, no worries! I finished my first 5k and 1/2 marathon much faster than I thought I would and never made it through my full training schedule. On race day it turns out it's all in your head. :) Active.com just came out with a 5k to 10k app, the next step when you're done with this one!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, everyone! I felt kind of silly being worried i'd be disqualified, but I was reading about the Disney half marathon and it said that they have a van that follows the runners if they don't keep up a 15 min. per mile pace and takes them back to the finish line, so I didn't know if other races had rules for pacing, too! :laugh:

I was fairly nervous to do this race, but now I think i'm getting more excited to try it! I've always wanted to be able to run!

I like the idea of walking the first 5 minutes and then running. I wasn't sure how to warm up before the race...maybe i'll try that.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    I've run everything from 5k's to marathons, and I have never seen a 5k with a time limit. Marathons only have them so they can open the streets to the traffic. A 5k doesn't normally involve street closers. I've even seen walkers at the 5k's, crossing the finish line in the 55 minute range and I''m sure you'll crush that time, especially running all those hills. There is nothing like a good hill to make you stronger. The excitement of the race will also give you extra energy you didn't even know you had. Just don't start off too fast, its easy to get over excited and push too hard in the beginning, save the push for the end :) Best of luck, I think you'll do great!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I've run everything from 5k's to marathons, and I have never seen a 5k with a time limit. Marathons only have them so they can open the streets to the traffic. A 5k doesn't normally involve street closers. I've even seen walkers at the 5k's, crossing the finish line in the 55 minute range and I''m sure you'll crush that time, especially running all those hills. There is nothing like a good hill to make you stronger. The excitement of the race will also give you extra energy you didn't even know you had. Just don't start off too fast, its easy to get over excited and push too hard in the beginning, save the push for the end :) Best of luck, I think you'll do great!

Thanks so much for the clarification, I had no idea why they had time limits on the marathon runners. This race does involve street closures, but, I looked at the website and apparently about 45 minutes after the beginning of the 5k, there is a 10k so I guess they won't be opening the streets back up that quickly lol! I am kind of afraid i'll see the walkers blowing right past me as I plod along. :drinker:
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    Just remember you are only racing yourself and you'll have a great time. Who knows, maybe you'll love it so much you'll start looking at bigger and bigger races. I promise you it is a GREAT feeling to line up with 20,000 excited (and a little crazy) people ready for an amazing adventure :smile: