Heart Healthy Diet?

Options
Jennwith2ns
Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
My husband is at risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke due to his weight and overall unhealthy habits. I am trying hard to help him with lifestyle changes, but he's stubborn and doesn't see things the same way I do.

Anyways, I was trying to find a "heart healthy" diet in terms of what he should or shouldn't eat. I know he needs to lose weight (he is almost 500 lbs), but it isn't just about his weight.. it is WHAT he eats or doesn't eat too. He absolutely refuses to exercise, so if I can at least start with his diet, maybe he will change his mind about the physical activity.

Any tips, suggestions, or stuff is absolutely should avoid 100%?

Replies

• jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I suggest you read Engine 2 Diet. It was an eye-opener for me. My husband and I are also at risk for heart disease. Mainly the book talks about how bad animal products are for you. I still eat meat (for now) but I definitely use less of them! I hope this helps.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My husband is at risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke due to his weight and overall unhealthy habits. I am trying hard to help him with lifestyle changes, but he's stubborn and doesn't see things the same way I do.

Anyways, I was trying to find a "heart healthy" diet in terms of what he should or shouldn't eat. I know he needs to lose weight (he is almost 500 lbs), but it isn't just about his weight.. it is WHAT he eats or doesn't eat too. He absolutely refuses to exercise, so if I can at least start with his diet, maybe he will change his mind about the physical activity.

Any tips, suggestions, or stuff is absolutely should avoid 100%?

Honestly, if he is almost at 500lbs, eating egg whites only isn't going to help his heart, but every pound he loses and every minute of exercise will make his cardiovascular system stronger.

It is a lot about his weight. If you prepare the family meals, just cook healthier and lower calorie. I guess you could stay away from red meat and push veggies on him.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association website is a wonderfull resource for this type of information.
  • dmarsh220
    dmarsh220 Posts: 22
    Options
    I suggest you read Engine 2 Diet. It was an eye-opener for me. My husband and I are also at risk for heart disease. Mainly the book talks about how bad animal products are for you. I still eat meat (for now) but I definitely use less of them! I hope this helps.
    I agree..plant strong is the way to go
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    So far, so good in my family, but I try to stick with low glycemic foods, which is supposed to help prevent heart disease and diabetes. You can finds of lists of low and high glycemic foods online, as well as lots of low glycemic recipes.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    So far, so good in my family, but I try to stick with low glycemic foods, which are supposed to help prevent heart disease and diabetes. You can finds of lists of low and high glycemic foods online, as well as lots of low glycemic recipes.
  • loadedwords
    loadedwords Posts: 16 Member
    Options

This! I also recommend Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn (the father of Engine 2 diet's author). If you only want to read one I would go for Engine 2 though, it's a faster read and I prefer the recipes in it.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I will check out that book. Thanks everyone!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options