proteins shakes

Options
Are proteins shakes beneficial for weight loss?

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Protein will not make you burn calories. Protein shakes are simply good nutrition and protein for after working out in a low calorie form. Working in a health food store, I cannot tell you how many people bought protein shakes assuming drinking them magically made one lose fat!

Also, without proper diet and exercise, all that protein will go to waste and make you gain weight. I drink natures way reset with almond milk, peanut butter, and a banana mixed together-it fills me up for a few hours so I don't binge on junk food, and energizes me for and after work outs!
  • rebrafe
    rebrafe Posts: 64
    Options
    I found that they contributed to my protein intake alot and seemed to cooincide with my weightloss. With all things considered, I was eating better - I was on a low carb deal, kind of paleo diet I spose, and exercising too.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Protein is the most important macro for fat loss! 1 g per lb of lean mass will help you maintain your muscle in a calorie deficit (a paper came out recently supporting this even though that amount is way over the governments recommended daily allowance). How you get this protein doesn't really matter. I'm not a big meat fan, so I rely on shakes more than others. My bf loves chicken, so he gets his protein easily that way. Personal preference is a beautiful thing
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Protein will not make you burn calories. Protein shakes are simply good nutrition and protein for after working out in a low calorie form. Working in a health food store, I cannot tell you how many people bought protein shakes assuming drinking them magically made one lose fat!

Also, without proper diet and exercise, all that protein will go to waste and make you gain weight. I drink natures way reset with almond milk, peanut butter, and a banana mixed together-it fills me up for a few hours so I don't binge on junk food, and energizes me for and after work outs!

Excess calories in any form make you gain weight. If you are in a calorie deficit, your body will use the protein just as it would carbs. In fact less efficiently due to the high thermic effect of feeding for protein. That's why leangains suggests that if you are overheating, for instance on thanksgiving, you should make as much of it proteins as possible. I've seen estimates as high as 20% of the calories in protein are not usable, whereas only like 5% of carb calories are unuseable