Hydrating during runs

Options
How does everyone carry water while running?
I've just not carried anything so far, but my runs are getting longer and I'm starting to feel the need for rehydration.

Replies

• dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Get a Camelback.
  • alissit
    alissit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use a hand held water bottle like the one in the link below.
    I find the 300ml version good for a 10k run, however as you drink the water it does start to make a sloshing sound that can be a bit distracting.
    However, if someone is blocking the path as I'm running I'll shake the bottle and it's usually enough to alert them that I'm coming :)
    Dual purpose water bottle lol ..

http://www.lansonrunning.com/accessories/sports-drinks-bottles/hilly/hand-held-water-bottle-350ml.aspx
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I don't bother myself, only do around the 10k to 12k mark myself, never could be bothered carrying a bottle etc.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use a Nathan two bottle hydration belt. It hold two 10oz water bottles and has a nicely sized pocket with a couple of sub-pouches that provide more than enough room for anything I may need to carry with me.

I wish I could be one of those people that doesn't need water on runs, but once I start getting up in the 6+ mile runs is when I start carrying water for outdoor runs. (I always have a water bottle during treadmill runs, even short ones) Even when I'm well hydrated before I run, once I get past 6 or so miles, I really just can't go without water. But I drink constantly, all day long, so I think my body is just used to always getting water and I can feel it when it doesn't (I get a stitch in the same place every time I need water, as soon as I drink, it goes away).
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Now that the temps/ humidity are increasing I can not go further than 5 miles without water. I use a Nathan handheld water bottle. I really like it so far.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED water until you are at the point that you are losing more than about 5% of your body weight in sweat. For me, this is somewhere between 90 minutes (when it's really hot) and up to 2.5 hours in cooler weather. Do some experimenting. Weigh yourself before a run, do an hour and then weigh yourself again when you are done. Do this under several different temperatures and humidity levels to get an idea about what your sweat rate is and plan from there.

That being said, I use a fuel belt when I have to carry water. I can't stand to have anything in my hands and I've never been on a run so long that I needed 32 ounces from a camelback.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far you're running and what options you have for refilling. I have a 3 liter reservoir I use for hiking and camping, but I can't see me neding that for many runs.

My usual choice now that I'm back to very short runs is to run a couple laps and have leave my water bottle on the driveway to grab a little. I also have a hip carrier for a single 20oz water bottle that will last me on an hour to an hour and a half run, but it bounces a lot having all the weight in one place. The best is a fuel belt with multiple small flasks spread around. That would hold me for 2 to 3 hours unless it's really hot. Unfortunately, I need to slim down a bit before the one I have will fit. Any more than that, plan for refils or use the camel back.

I trained for a marathon with only the 20oz water bottle and good planning for refills.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I run 8 miles a day and find no need for it, Drink about 40oz an hour or so before I head out I average 8 minute mile pace not real fast but fast enough. Maybe its conditioning also.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't. I can't deal with carrying something on me and I hate those fuel belt things. If I'm running more than 4 miles or so, I usually run on this particular trail in the middle of the city that is a total of 10 miles around and has water fountains and 2 cold water stations along the way. It works out PERFECTLY!

I drink a lot of water anyway, so I'm usually very hydrated. If I'm on the treadmill, I keep a water bottle handy, which I usually need since I pretty much only do HIIT on the treadmill (and I NEED a sip of water after I sprint!).

My good friend has a fuel belt with 2 little water bottles on it that she runs with all the time (she wore it during the half marathon we ran a month ago). It doesn't bother her, but I just don't find them comfortable at all.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated by drinking before the run and bring a hand-held so you can have a drink every 15 minutes
    2 cents Z.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I also use a Nathan hydration belt. I only have the one bottle as my longest run is 5 miles so far. It is not that expensive, 12 bucks or so. I live in North Carolina where it is hot and humid. I HAVE to have water when exercising or I feel faint and will not enjoy it at all.

When my doctor allows me to start running again and I get a few more miles under my belt (training for a half marathon) I will get the camel back, those things rock.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Nothing. But I'll usually plan my route around water fountains, or get within 1/4 mile if I need to.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Drink water a bit before your workout, if you are running for less than an hour you dont need to take water with you.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I just got a Nathan 2 bottle belt and used it for the first time last week. I really liked it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Step one: be well hydrated BEFORE you go running. If you are drinking a right before your run, you've waited too long.

I often run 10 - 12 miles without a drink. I barely drink during half marathons. In the 80's it was a big deal when the LA Marathon announced they were having TWO water stop instead of the usual one. Now people run 5Ks with Camelbacks on, go figure.

When I do need to carry water, I use a handheld. I can also tell you the location of every drinking fountain and restroom within a 15 mile radius of my house.