The two month six pack

Options

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I ain;t a fan of lifting heavy weights, I tend to bulk up very quickly

I have no idea what that means so I'm going to pretend I didn't read it.
    Sort out your diet and lift heavy. Are you going to get a six pack in 8 weeks? No. But if you get on a good cut regime or the correct foods and workout, you should see significant progress.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    thanks again guys
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Ab's are built in the kitchen. What is your example daily diet?

Hit and miss at the moment. Obviously having a body fat of around 26%(it was near 28/29 4 weeks ago) I am pretty new to this.

Learning slowly about the correct diet as I go. From talking with friends(who are built similar to yourself) they are pointing out what I need to improve on. T

If you are in a calorie deficit, how do you plan building muscle?
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Hit and miss at the moment. Obviously having a body fat of around 26%(it was near 28/29 4 weeks ago) I am pretty new to this.

Learning slowly about the correct diet as I go. From talking with friends(who are built similar to yourself) they are pointing out what I need to improve on. T

If you are in a calorie deficit, how do you plan building muscle?

He has enough body fat right now to compensate for the deficit.
  • GWS83
    GWS83 Posts: 10
    Options
    This is getting comical now.

I'd rather do a range of heavy, medium and light, then rotate.

Going light and repping out high amounts till failure will also help burn fat and tighten up those muscles if you want definition.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I would of said the same, I have plenty of body fat to compensate for the calorie deficit

I've taken loads from what you have all said, I geniunely appreciate the advise, thanks again
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Really?

Carry on, my time is wasted here.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I am pretty sure from what you guys are telling me that 2 months is not long enough to do it. That'll cost a few quid
  • mariobadr
    Options

Really?

You mean your body won't use body fat for energy? I mean, from what I've read that's the definition of fat. Back up energy to use when carbs are unavailable. (I'm being genuine, not sarcastic)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    And I should point out, I do some weights at the gym, chest, arms, legs shoulder, nothing heavy. And I know I can;t "target wait lose to an area".

You'll want to start lifting heavy, then.
    Scrap the 240 ab exercises, too. Completely unnecessary.

But yep, as above - it's all about the diet.

Also, do back exercises!
    Just because YOU can't see it in a mirror doesn't mean it shouldn't be a priority :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Really?

You mean your body won't use body fat for energy? I mean, from what I've read that's the definition of fat. Back up energy to use when carbs are unavailable. (I'm being genuine, not sarcastic)

It will use it for survival energy to run day to day life sustaining and other activities (breathing, digestion, hair growth, etc) building lean muscle is not one of them. Usually during a cut you lose muscle, as muscle burns more cals, if your body is in a deficit it will shed muscle to lower its metabolic rate so your deficit will be smaller.

energy from body fat will not be used for muscle growth, the body just doesn't work that way.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I do back extensions, and core work(planks, sides etc)
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would slow down on the weight loss.

1-2 Lbs per week is what the experts suggest.

Going at it slowly helps with the culture shift to proper eating habits too...

Probably took you a while to gain the weight. It should take you a while to lose it.

Keeping it off permanently requires culture change management... And this will only come weeks/months/years of doing things differently.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I do back extensions, and core work(planks, sides etc)

I think they were taking more about rows and/or pull-ups to balance off the chest exercises, unless I miss read their post.

And I would suggest a maximum weight loss goal of 1lb/week if you have less then 50lbs to lose.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Can do about 240 sit ups in different sets etc on any visit to the gym, its the diet that would have to change, along with keeping up the cardio

So it sounds like you already have strong abdominal muscles. In order to get a six pack you basically only need to burn fat while preserving your muscle.

Is it possible in 2 months, absolutely! However, it would require an intense diet and exercise regimen that would unsustainable for very long. Therefore, unless you really want to look good on the beach this summer, I wouldn't go crazy with trying to lose weight too quickly. Most people will have better luck keeping weight off by dieting at a more sustainable level.

Also, keep in mind that a "six-pack" is a relative term. You don't need a ten percent body fat for your abs to be visible to some degree. If you hit 16-18%, along with strong abdominal muscles, then you'll have some definition there and look pretty good. You might not be ready to be a model in a fitness magazine, but you'll be more than ready for the beach.
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options

I'm curious about this topic as well. I don't really care if I have a six pack but I'd like to lose my "love handles." I'm currently about 16% body fat and do CrossFit three times a week supplemented by one or two 3-4 mile runs a week. I also live in New York City so I walk for at least 1/2 hour every day just as part of my daily routine. For my diet, I avoid simple carbs, and eat lots of lean meats and beans, brown rice, wheat bread, yogurt, nut butters, etc, and I do not drink alcohol. Am I on the right track or should I modify that in any way?
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    So it'd be a massive ask then. I was thinking the body fat would be the key, and there diet. hmmmm, might be losing that bet

Come on now. If you talk defeat before you get started, that's exactly what you get. Defeated!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Can do about 240 sit ups in different sets etc on any visit to the gym, its the diet that would have to change, along with keeping up the cardio

So it sounds like you already have strong abdominal muscles. In order to get a six pack you basically only need to burn fat while preserving your muscle.

Is it possible in 2 months, absolutely! However, it would require an intense diet and exercise regimen that would unsustainable for very long. Therefore, unless you really want to look good on the beach this summer, I wouldn't go crazy with trying to lose weight too quickly. Most people will have better luck keeping weight off by dieting at a more sustainable level.

Also, keep in mind that a "six-pack" is a relative term. You don't need a ten percent body fat for your abs to be visible to some degree. If you hit 16-18%, along with strong abdominal muscles, then you'll have some definition there and look pretty good. You might not be ready to be a model in a fitness magazine, but you'll be more than ready for the beach.

You think he can cut down from 26% to <12% in 2 months, maybe the 16% but at best you would only see an outline at the level. I doubt that this goal is attainable in this timeframe. I would suggest trying by August (3-4 months)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Anyone know if its possible?

Currently weigh 197pounds, 5ft 9" and using the little machine in the gym body fat of 26%. Last 3 weeks have lost 13pounds.

Despite my stats I can actually train quite hard. I find I develop muscle pretty quickly, I would say my biggest challenge would be shifting the fat.

Any good advise greatly appreciated

You would have to have the proper workout routine and most of all DIET in place.

^^ This! Abs are made in the kitchen!
  • mariobadr
    Options

It will use it for survival energy to run day to day life sustaining and other activities (breathing, digestion, hair growth, etc) building lean muscle is not one of them. Usually during a cut you lose muscle, as muscle burns more cals, if your body is in a deficit it will shed muscle to lower its metabolic rate so your deficit will be smaller.

energy from body fat will not be used for muscle growth, the body just doesn't work that way.

But if you continue working out using the same weights, why would your body break down the muscle? My understanding for a cutting phase is you continue doing the same workout, and induce a deficit (either through cardio or through eating). You will lose *some* muscle, but you'll be losing more body fat. If you don't lift the same weights, then you'll lose more muscle than necessary.