I neeeed energy - help please!

Options
Hi all,

So i work really long hours....i am up at 5am...leave the house at 6am and home by about 8pm. I am trying to eat clean and eat small regular meals but i just find i have zero energy...which isn't helping when i need to exercise in the evening!!

I am not really a coffee drinker...i have the odd sugar free red bull but half the time i feel dead!

Any advice on what i can do to get more energy? any good supplements? thank u! xxx

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    OMG how do you stay awake without coffee?!!!

Berocca
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Can you fit exercise in anywhere during the day, not just the evening? I often work fairly long hours too, so I completely feel your pain, but even if you took half an hour once or twice a day to go for a good long walk or take the stairs a few times or something it might help.

(I'm still at the stage where it seems ludicrous that exercise GIVES energy, but I'm starting to grudgingly believe it. It really does work.)

Edited to acknowledge that you're exercising in the evenings...
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Same problem-long working hours, waking up 5 am and gym time only late evenings
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? If you have cut calories low (ie. 1200 cals like so many people on MFP) you might not be getting enough calories - and calories are energy.
    If you are eating a reasonable amount, try experimenting with when you eat. You might find that a large breakfast and lunch works well for you rather than small meals spread out during the day. Ther is no right or wrong for meal timing, you need to experiment to see what suits your body and lifestyle.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Can't advise as your food diary is closed...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It would help if you could open up your diary...

Im guaranteeing you, that you are not eating right if you dont have enough energy
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Diary now open :) xxx
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    eat more frequently and that may mean smaller portions but it is what got my energy levels elevated.. Try and get at least 7 hours sleep as well :)
  • cramernh
    Options
    from what I see in your diary - you eat alot of packaged foods... Your mornings are not 'bad' but could be better for variety-sake.

Some days you dont consume enough vegetables at all...

I hate to say it but your diary is a bit sporadic.....its just not balanced and consistent
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    from what I see in your diary - you eat alot of packaged foods... Your mornings are not 'bad' but could be better for variety-sake.

I hate to say it but your diary is a bit sporadic.....its just not balanced and consistent

Packaged?!! i don't eat anything from a packet?!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Craze is hectic I get SO much energy from it!! I love it! it has creatine in it as well and I like the grape flavour or sometimes I use hydroxycut hardcore for a bit extra energy
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Craze is hectic I get SO much energy from it!! I love it! it has creatine in it as well and I like the grape flavour or sometimes I use hydroxycut hardcore for a bit extra energy

Sorry to sound thick but what is craze?!! xxx
  • cramernh
    Options

Packaged?!! i don't eat anything from a packet?!

Crackers, crisp bars, you rely on alot of protein powders, you have meals where its a high carb bread and a small portion of peanutbutter or protein and thats not enough, You arent capable of recording accurately on the times you dine out (Indian Restaurant, Starbucks, Nandos, etc),

You have no solid consistency in meal quality, restaurants you dine in, you will never get an accurate picture to 'build' a meal on MFP simply because you arent the one preparing it, you have meals that are extremely high in the wrong types of carbohydrates while other meals, you are not eating balanced enough....

This is looking at almost two weeks worth thus far... Its just not consistent and this can greatly affect your energy levels...
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    [/quote]

Crackers, crisp bars, you rely on alot of protein powders, you have meals where its a high carb bread and a small portion of peanutbutter or protein and thats not enough, You arent capable of recording accurately on the times you dine out (Indian Restaurant, Starbucks, Nandos, etc),

[/quote]

I have only properly started tracking this last week. Before then i wasn't doing as well as I could have. I track places like starbucks, nandos etc. according to the values provided on here!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Plus i don't see how granary bread, wholegrain crackers are "bad"?! surely they are good sources of carbs! xxx
  • cramernh
    Options
    Plus i don't see how granary bread, wholegrain crackers are "bad"?! surely they are good sources of carbs! xxx

I never said they were bad - you have to re-read my posts...

You rely on them often.. .and there are meals where your carb counts are extremely high. Your meals are not consistent enough..

This is only from what I am seeing in your diary - this isnt an attack.. you posted a thread asking for help, we needed you to kindly open your diary to get a better picture....so you dont need to be offensive or offended...
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

I never said they were bad - you have to re-read my posts...

You rely on them often.. .and there are meals where your carb counts are extremely high. Your meals are not consistent enough..

This is only from what I am seeing in your diary - this isnt an attack.. you posted a thread asking for help, we needed you to kindly open your diary to get a better picture....so you dont need to be offensive or offended...

no im not getting offensive or offended just confused!! :) what would you suggest? xxx
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Amino Energy from Optimum Nutrition. Not found in many stores, though if you have a Vitamin Shoppe around, they do carry them. But can find them online easily. This is my "coffee", so to speak. Tastes great (the grape anyway) and gives you a definite boost!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The thing about eating out is you never know if they measured everything correctly, or at all. So sometimes (and I think probably often) you're getting more than you think. But, I didn't really scan your diary hardcore so I only noticed starbucks coffee. They probably measure out so they don't give you more since that place is pricey :p

My only suggestion would be probably to eat more. I don't know your stats, and I am NOT a pro by any means. But I lacked energy on a daily basis and that changed once I started eating more. Weight loss improved too. But hey, thats all I can offer.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    The thing about eating out is you never know if they measured everything correctly, or at all. So sometimes (and I think probably often) you're getting more than you think. But, I didn't really scan your diary hardcore so I only noticed starbucks coffee. They probably measure out so they don't give you more since that place is pricey :p

My only suggestion would be probably to eat more. I don't know your stats, and I am NOT a pro by any means. But I lacked energy on a daily basis and that changed once I started eating more. Weight loss improved too. But hey, thats all I can offer.

Thank you!! yep i know what you mean...i think i may be on too little calories. I don't work out much at the moment so i try and not go too high with calories. i think i just need to trial and error it a bit more and see what happens! xxx