Runners, HELP!

Options
In 2009, I overtrained for a half marathon and injured myself by getting fluid in the hip flexor muscle. After physical therapy and being less active the pain and injury died down. Fast forward to now, I would not say I am over training, however, I am running 2 to 3 times a week (5k each time) and the repetitive motion is really causing my injury to flare back up. I'm afraid if I take time off from running to let my hip flexor muscle feel better than I will take steps back in the progress I made in running for a full half hour (used c25k program). I do not know what to do! Right now I'm pushing through the pain, but would you guys recommended stopping all together for a little while? Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I would never recommend running through the pain in training. In a race, maybe, but not training.

I'm a bit unclear about the time line, have you continued running since you recovered form the injury in 2009 or have you had a long time off and recently returned to running? Advice would probably be different depending upon this.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    There are some pains/injuries that will only get better with time. Others can be alleviate with the proper stretching routines before and after you run. Only you can tell which category your injury falls under and as always a doctors advice is always your best bet. Best of luck to you in the future.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. More information: I went through physical therapy up till a month before the half marathon in 2009 and then pushed myself to do the race. Since the race was my goal, after that I stopped running and did some cross training to alleviate the pain from my hip. I just picked up running again sometime in the begining of the year which is why I started with the c25k program. So now, I do 3 5k's a week and never on back to back days along with my other work outs. Right now Im not training for a race or anything even though Id like to race again in the future. Now, Im just running for me and becuase I actually enjoy it. Hope this was the info you were looking for.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    On that basis I would say that you either have a bio-mechanical problem or it's your shoes (if you were a consistent runner between injury and now I would say look to what you have changed in your training and degradation of the shoes but that is not the case).

Shoes first: Have you been analysed for gait? Are the shoes knackered? Are they running shoes or gym cross train shoes? are they in reasonable condition visually but older than 18 months?

If you've never been fitted for running shoes or the condition is suspect I'd consider this. But beware: Being analysed for shoes whilst nursing an injury is counter productive since injury will cause you to run differently that you may run otherwise.

Bio-mechanical: This is a Dr or Physiotherapist visit I'm afraid.

Best wishes