A question about muscle.

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Ok so say you have been lifting weights and get your body to a stage you like, now if you wish to maintain do you continue lifting at the same weight? What happens to built up muscles if you stop lifting? Do they just melt away. I'm no where near done I would just like to understand the muscle process.

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining w/ weight training for a couple of years+ now, I change my programs around every 6-8 weeks, and use bigger weights when it is necessary and when I feel it is too light. I feel like my strength always improves.
  • stephleexo
    stephleexo Posts: 7
    Options
    if you've grown your muscle you will need to watch what you're eating because with no workout those muscles will melt, you will lose pounds but it's muscle, not fat :(
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For me, I got to a point in size and stopped. I kept lifting and cycling it up and would make tiny strength gains, but I got to a point where I was pretty much maxed out.

Once you stop, muscle will fade away, I think it fades at different rates depending on the person and what level of activity you continue.