C 2 5K endurance question

Options
Have any of you who have done the c25k program ever gone back a week? I've been at week 4 for about a month now and it's really not getting any easier for me. I'm considering going back to week 2 or 3 or even to week 1 and just doubling the workout. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get the hang of running for longer than just a few minutes at a time. I feel like I'm getting very winded on the 1/2 mile runs and it's discouraging. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions for getting through this?

Thanks!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 last night and I did notice that on the first 3 mins I was going at a higher pace than normal (guess because I was inside versus outside) and i couldnt get my breath. The second 3 mins I slowed my pace down and was fine. I just waited for her to say I had one minute left then picked up my pace for a little extra burn. Try cutting your pace back a little. Hope this helps
  • RUNNER48WH
    RUNNER48WH Posts: 35
    Options
    Agree with slow pace down. Also, especially for new runners learning how to breathe is key....I had to train myself as well and it became much easier!
    See article:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thinking back, I do tend to keep up a 12:50 pace which is obviously too fast for me right now. I've been trying to train myself on the breathing too. I read someplace that you're supposed to breathe in for 2 steps and out for 2 steps, so I have been trying that. I will slow down on my pace today and will stay at week 4 and keep going. I think I might also change my runs to timed instead of distance that way I'm not trying to run faster to get through the 1/4 or 1/2 mile run. I think that's a big part of my problem and why I'm not lasting.

Thanks all. Sometimes it really helps to hear the simple answers come from others. I do appreciate the help.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Options
    Agree with slow pace down. Also, especially for new runners learning how to breathe is key....I had to train myself as well and it became much easier!
    See article:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html

Thanks for the article! Very informative. :)
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Switching to basing your workouts on time is a great idea. I thought most c 2 5k plans were time based. Slowing down is also good. But how about moving on to week 5? When are the rest weeks? Was week 3 a rest week? It should be progressively harder for a couple weeks and then you'll reach a rest week where your body recovers and makes the adaptations that improve your endurance. If you keep repeating week 4 you will only break down your fitness. If it's really just too hard, cut it in half for 1 week, then repeat week 4 and keep progressing. You have the right idea about being conservative, just make sure you get to those recovery weeks.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Options
    I have downloaded the program by rundouble.com. I can either do time or distance. I've been trying to do distance, but switched to time today and it was a bit easier for me to keep up. Knowing that at 3 or 5 minutes I can walk was a huge incentive to keep running. And I slowed waaaay down today. My average pace was 15:35. I looked ahead and week 5 is 5 minute warm up and 3 intervals of 3 min run/90 sec walk/5 min run/2:30 min walk. Right now I'm doing 2 of each interval. I'm not seeing any recovery weeks in the program so far. I'm actually not sure what those would look like. I will move on to week 5 next week as I can do it if I make sure to slow my pace down. I've just been afraid to go on because of how much I've struggled. Today let me know that I can do it, I just need to do it slower.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    slow down, and take shorter strides.
    lean forward a bit, and take half steps. That's how I made it though a few of the longer weeks runs.

You can worry about getting faster and everything after week 9.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree to slow your pace down. Also, keep in mind that each time is not going to be a breeze to do. It's SUPPOSED to be hard. I repeated a day a few times, but then decided to just move onto the next day, and I was able to keep pushing forward. I just graduated to program Sunday. Keep at it...keep pushing!!! You'll be amazed at what you are able to do.