Colon Cleansing, gonna try it?......Read this first.

marm1962
marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Home Remedy
No-No Number 5: Home Colon Cleansing

"We hear a lot about the toxic effects of the contents of the colon on the body," says Robert Siegel, MD, a fellow with the American College of Gastroenterology. "But that's a fallacy."

And that's where home colon cleansing products come into play. People hear the claims that their colons are filled with toxic waste matter and that the solution is to flush them out with herbs, probiotics, special diets, enemas, or laxatives.

The fact of the matter is that the colon is a waste receptacle, explains Siegel. Its function is to let fecal material pass out of the body, naturally.

Trying to cleanse your colon from the comforts of your home can disrupt your body's electrolyte balance, causing dehydration and salt depletion. Over time, frequent colon cleansing can even lead to anemia, malnutrition, and heart failure.

Instead of cleaning your colon on your own, start by increasing your fiber intake by eating more fruits and vegetables, or by adding a supplement to your diet -- 38 grams for men and 25 grams for women 50 and younger -- every day.

If you're still feeling constipated and uncomfortable, Siegel recommends you see your primary care doctor or a gastroenterologist.

I've also read that colon cleasers kill the bacteria in your colon, the problem is that you need these bacteria to break down the waste even further.

Replies

• Thanks for FYI. Nowaday, too many people try the colon cleansing..(master clean). I think it's just waste of money and the unnescesary (sp?) suffering
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Haha, read this as an ad for Dr Natura appeared in the banner above.
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    I did a liver/gallbladder cleanse about a year ago, and I found it was really effective. I'm still seeing the benefits of it! I recommend it for anyone looking to start cleansing, and it's incredibly cheap. Also, I didn't do the parasite cleanses and stuff that is always recommended, so if you don't think you can handle just drinking juice for a week, you can still benefit from this cleanse.

http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    This information concerns me because my son has a medical condition called megacolon and under a dr's guidance is required to do colon clean-outs and I worry about the electrolyte/dehydration issue and reading about the heart failure scares the poo out of me. No pun intended. :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the information.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    This information concerns me because my son has a medical condition called megacolon and under a dr's guidance is required to do colon clean-outs and I worry about the electrolyte/dehydration issue and reading about the heart failure scares the poo out of me. No pun intended. :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the information.

I think it is a little different if it is done under doctor supervision. Also, from what I understand, megacolon prevents a person from pooping on their own so they would need something like that. I believe the article is talking about unmedically supervised cleanses in healthy adults but If you are concerned about it you should talk to your son and/or his doctor.
This discussion has been closed.