Sodium? Not enough??

Options
I've noticed the past 2 weeks now my sodium intake compared to what MFP gives me is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... Is this good or bad?? MFP gives me 2500 sodium... my normal is between 950-1200 daily..

I know too much sodium is not a good thing, but I know we do need some type of sodium in our bodies... I'm just worried I'm not in taking enough.

Are there healthy foods, or anything to help with this if I'm not taking in enough?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    it actually depends on you're potassium intake as well as water intake and amount of exercise you do.

I wouldn't really worry about being too low unless you exercise a lot.
  • dlongshot7
    dlongshot7 Posts: 79
    Options
    I exercise about 5-6 days a week... and drink 70-90 oz. of water a day.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP has it set pretty high......I like to keep mine around 12- 1500 :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be practically living on a desert island to not get the required amount of dietary sodium for survival (est. 180mg per day - source: AHA). You're doing great, don't worry about it!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    In consideration of the wide variation in Americans' physical activity and climatic exposure, a safe minimum of 500 mg of sodium per day has been recommended.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof/heart/hbp/salt_up2.htm

So apparently you're fine.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters.

I'd actually love to see what you eat as usually mine is hard to keep UNDER 2500... I'm getting better at it with healthier food items, but it's harder when going out occasionally.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    MFP does have the sodium set high. I manually reduced mine to 1,500 mg.
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP has it set pretty high......I like to keep mine around 12- 1500 :)

Same here.
  • SockSaver
    SockSaver Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My take on the sodium set by MFP : it is the MOST one should take in.
  • dlongshot7
    dlongshot7 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! This really helps!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the past 2 weeks now my sodium intake compared to what MFP gives me is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... Is this good or bad?? MFP gives me 2500 sodium... my normal is between 950-1200 daily..

I know too much sodium is not a good thing, but I know we do need some type of sodium in our bodies... I'm just worried I'm not in taking enough.

Are there healthy foods, or anything to help with this if I'm not taking in enough?

What I've read is that most people really only NEED about 500 mg of sodium. 2,500 is the most a healthy person should have daily. The important thing is to keep your electrolites (sodium and potassium) in balance.

I average below 1,000mg of sodium per day.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I think that is fantastic!! Nice work!