Paleo diet?

Options
Is anyone here on the paleo diet?? I am so interested in it but I am such a picky eater to begin with. It is going to be a long process to train my body to like the foods that are good for you. How sad is that?

Any tips or advice?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    It's natural I guess for people to gravitate toward an extreme view like paleo, it has a good story line, but in my opinion, not neccessary. Consuming whole natural ingredients is a good start and if you feel that eliminating dairy, grain, legumes and nightshade from your diet make you fee better, then no arguement for sure, otherwise it would make no sense, especially considering paleolithic foods don't exist anyway and many paleo advocates actually eat the foods that are considered taboo which should tell anyone that it's the diet you can live with for the rest of your life that should hold the most priority, as opposed to blaming a bean or a tomato on your health.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I do low-carb but not Paleo. I do agree with neanderthin that whole, natural foods are a good basis for any way of eating, as well as getting rid of sugar and refined grains.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When you get rid of the processed foods and sugars your taste will change, don't worry, it'll happen, just keep trying new things and mix it up so you don't get bored. Baby carrots become like candy :)
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options
    I eat a "mostly" paleo diet. I do not eat processed food or refined sugars or grains EVER. I do not eat beans and have cut out most dairy from my diet in the beginning i ate no dairy what so ever but realized this was not practical for me. I still don't drink milk and instead use almond milk. Every now and then I will have a yogurt for a snack. Mostly my diet consist of lean meats and plenty of it fresh veggies and fruit. I started my paleo lifestyle in january since then I have lost 50 pounds. Gained so much energy and feel way better. Is paleo for every one no. Will you feel better and gain energy lose weight yes. But The best diet is the one you can fallow. check it out though try it for a little bit if you like i great!! If not its okay there is lots options out there.

One thing about paleo is there is so many recipes for you favorite things you just have to google it. Of the top of my head pancakes supper yummy. I have made paleo cupcakes with a chocolate frosting. Carrot cake. Ice cream also so yummy.

some sites for you to research on your own.

marksdailyapple.com
    plaeodietlifestyles.com
    robbwolf.com
    GOOD LUCK :)
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    I eat a "mostly" paleo diet. I do not eat processed food or refined sugars or grains EVER. I do not eat beans and have cut out most dairy from my diet in the beginning i ate no dairy what so ever but realized this was not practical for me. I still don't drink milk and instead use almond milk. Every now and then I will have a yogurt for a snack. Mostly my diet consist of lean meats and plenty of it fresh veggies and fruit. I started my paleo lifestyle in january since then I have lost 50 pounds. Gained so much energy and feel way better. Is paleo for every one no. Will you feel better and gain energy lose weight yes. But The best diet is the one you can fallow. check it out though try it for a little bit if you like i great!! If not its okay there is lots options out there.

One thing about paleo is there is so many recipes for you favorite things you just have to google it. Of the top of my head pancakes supper yummy. I have made paleo cupcakes with a chocolate frosting. Carrot cake. Ice cream also so yummy.

some sites for you to research on your own.

marksdailyapple.com
    plaeodietlifestyles.com
    robbwolf.com
    GOOD LUCK :)

Thank you so much! And that's awesome for losing 50 pounds!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here on the paleo diet?? I am so interested in it but I am such a picky eater to begin with. It is going to be a long process to train my body to like the foods that are good for you. How sad is that?

Any tips or advice?

You will find after you get rid of the sugar addiction and taste what real food really tastes like there will be fruits and vegetables that you thought you didn't like that you will absolutely fall in love with.

I am not picky and eat just about any vegetable and fruit.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It's natural I guess for people to gravitate toward an extreme view like paleo, it has a good story line, but in my opinion, not neccessary. Consuming whole natural ingredients is a good start and if you feel that eliminating dairy, grain, legumes and nightshade from your diet make you fee better, then no arguement for sure, otherwise it would make no sense, especially considering paleolithic foods don't exist anyway and many paleo advocates actually eat the foods that are considered taboo which should tell anyone that it's the diet you can live with for the rest of your life that should hold the most priority, as opposed to blaming a bean or a tomato on your health.

What foods are taboo that we eat on Paleo?

Offal is common (liver, heart, brains) - people have been eating these things forever. Offal is very nutrient dense.

That is the only thing I can think of that could even in the slightest be considered taboo.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options

What foods are taboo that we eat on Paleo?

Offal is common (liver, heart, brains) - people have been eating these things forever. Offal is very nutrient dense.

That is the only thing I can think of that could even in the slightest be considered taboo.
    Oh, I don't know, which foods are restricted in paleo? Never mentioned offal.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Any tips or advice?

What do you mean by picky eater? I get a bit annoyed with people who claim to not like certain foods. Do the foods make you nauseas? Or do you just prefer french fries? If you work on eating healthy foods that you feel you don't like while also cutting out the junk food, you'll probably eventually start to tolerate the good stuff more and more and grow to like it.

Some healthy foods can be acquired tastes.