Calories in mfp database way off?

Options
I looked up boneless skinless chicken breast and for 7 ounces, it showed me 58 calores.
Sheesh, that is no help, so I used a different selection from the search list and came up wit
198 calories. I know 58 calories is not right, but is 198?

What a pain!!

Has anyone else has this problem(this is not the first time), and what did you do?

Thanks,
Lisa

Replies

• tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I look at the labels of the food I eat and pick the selection that is the closest. If I eat out at a restaurant and can't find it in the database I just guess. Some are WAY off, but if you log on the computer instead of your phone it will show how many people have confirmed it.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I find most of it to be very accurate but it's funny you can find 80 different bonless skinless chicken breast in there. I just really look at everything and make sure my portion size is right on. Most bonless skinless chicken breast is 110 for 4 ozs. At least what I buy is. I love the databases and the scanner on my phone app even more!
  • Morgandobes
    Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got some of the kind frozen in a bag with like 10 in there.
    Cooked up 5 yesterday, and was famished this morning so I decided to scarf down
    2. Sounds like 198 is pretty close tho.

Thanks!
    Lisa
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When possible, choose the listing that doesn't have an asterisk next it, which means it wasn't added by a MFP member. The iPhone app doesn't give this, not sure about other apps, but it is on the full website. Their listings for chicken breast are worded, "chicken - breast, meat only..." if that helps in your search.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    If you're using a phone app you can actually scan the barcode of whatever you're eating in... most are accurate just watch there are a few minor glitches! Also you can search for specific brands that's what I do at times. Otherwise look for the thing closest to the label of whatever you're eating. also if you have the label and MFP doesn't & you have computer access you can create your own food and type in the exact labels :) I do that quite a bit to be accurate. Good luck!