Ex then eat...or eat then ex?

Options
My kiddo goes to preschool for 4 hours in the am. So I try to burn as much as possible. But now Im panicing about eating just to have the calories stick to me. I know its best to eat and then burn but after a hell of a workout...I feel like my stomach is imploding. Are there certain foods to stay away from after a workout?

Replies

• bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    It is good to eat a high protein snack after a workout. But other than that it really doesn't matter. You need fuel before you begin your work out, and then you need to re-fuel after your workout. Simple as that. :happy:
  • Raqfox
    Raqfox Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried eating before exercise but I found I like to exercise first then eat. I feel lighter and more energetic.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise in the mornings before food on days I have off work, on other days I eat a snack about an hour before I'm off work then I workout and eat dinner like an hr after that or less so I'm done before 7pm. You have to do what feels right for you, I just can't eat dinner and then work out, I feel like I'm gonna throw up.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things I would suggest that you relax when it comes to trying to "burn off your food".

Whether you burn a bunch of calories and then eat, or eat and then burn a bunch of calories, the net effect over the long term won't make any damn difference assuming performance is roughly the same in both scenarios.

Your goal should just be to eat the appropriate amount of food for the day and create a calorie deficit, and hopefully you're training hard along the way.

Beyond that, I'd stop micromanaging what happens in the short term (ie whether or not you burn off the piece of toast you ate, vs burning calories and then eating some toast).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if he's your ex, don't give him anything to eat. let him starve
  • poolchicko5
    poolchicko5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always work out in the morning then eat. I feel sick if I eat and then work out. It is good to.eat right after a workout or so I am told by my friends that run a gym. Eat while you are still sweating and burning calories.
  • THTchristina
    THTchristina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat a light snack before working out so I have some energy. Then a post-workout meal with complex carbs and protein after or just a orotein shake if I will have a meal in a few hours. I usually do HIIT or incorporate weights into my workouts though, on days with just cardio, I eat lighter.