Is this right? RE: TDEE & BMR

Options
iuali81
iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
I calculated my BMR and TDEE (fitnessfrog.com). BMR=1457 TDEE=2513 (I have a desk job, but I work out 6 days a week).

So, taking -20% of that gives me 2010. Should I set my calories to 2000 and not eat back my exercise calories?

Right now, MFP has me set at 1200 and I eat most if not all of my exercise calories back. I'm finding that I'm still pretty hungry in the evenings. It may just be that I'm not eating the right foods to help myself feel full longer.

I'd appreciate any help.

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    No one is going to be able to give you a definitive answer since we're dealing with estimates here. All those calclulations of BMR and TDEE and MFP's suggested intake are based on statistical data that may or not be right for you and of course, the same is true of the calories burnt calculations - all of it is an estimate.

What you KNOW though is at your current caloric intake you've managed to lose 13lbs. Your diary is a source of actual data for you (of course nutritional labels themselves are allowed to be out by 20%, but lets assume that all equals out in the course of a day) that we can use as a startpoint.

If you are hungry in the evenings then yes, that's probably a sign that you aren't eating enough. Why don't you increase you calories by say 250 a day and then observe what happens over a 2 week period. If your weight loss continues then you know you are still in calorie defecit but now you aren't struggling with hunger (which ultimately is going to make it less likely for you to stick to your diet long term). You could then adjust upwards again if you wanted and observe that.

Observation and measurement is far more accurate that estimates taken from studies using population samples.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I calculated my BMR and TDEE (fitnessfrog.com). BMR=1457 TDEE=2513 (I have a desk job, but I work out 6 days a week).

So, taking -20% of that gives me 2010. Should I set my calories to 2000 and not eat back my exercise calories?

Right now, MFP has me set at 1200 and I eat most if not all of my exercise calories back. I'm finding that I'm still pretty hungry in the evenings. It may just be that I'm not eating the right foods to help myself feel full longer.

I'd appreciate any help.
    If you set your goal to TDEE - 20% you do NOT track exercise as your exercise calories should be included in your TDEE calculation. Which multiplier did you use? If you work out 6-days you should probably use at least Moderately active.