Scale won't budge!?!?!

Options
Hi MF Pals,

WHY isn't my scale moving!?!?!

I've been at this for 2 weeks - with not one slip - everyday my calories have been right on, or under by 100 or 200 (set for a 2lb loss each week). I have worked out everyday, and done double workouts about 4 times each week. I've lost 2" from my waist, and 3" from my hips, but the scale is THE SAME!?!?!?!?!? Mathematically speaking, I should have lost at least 4 pounds.

Did this happen to anyone in the beginning?

Thanks for any insights!
Betty
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You don't really have a lot to lose and I think that the 2 lb loss may be a bit too much for you. I am not an expert in this field but have spoken to nutritionists and others about this.

Also, you have just started. Give your body time to figure this all out.

Don't give up....keep at it
  • ilmommkc
    ilmommkc Posts: 73
    Options
    Muscle weighs more. the tighter you are...the less fat. I took step class and lost inches like crazy but my weight didnt change as much as I liked. When classes ended, I lost more weight but the inches slowly stopped coming off. As long as your clothes fit better, dont worry about the scale.
  • 135gratitude
    135gratitude Posts: 364
    Options
    You don't really have a lot to lose and I think that the 2 lb loss may be a bit too much for you. I am not an expert in this field but have spoken to nutritionists and others about this.

Also, you have just started. Give your body time to figure this all out.

Don't give up....keep at it

Thanks for your reply HavingItAll!

It's just so frustrating. My instinct is to put away the scale and keep working away, using the tape measure to gauge my progress.

I got on a pair of jeans that have just been too tight up until now, and after only 2 weeks of this, I thought that was great. But hen the scale basically flipped me the bird!!!

ZacMexilMom - thanks - it's just so frustrating!!!:grumble:

Thanks again and continued success to you ladies!!!
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey Betty, the scale is still flipping me the bird too :tongue:
    I'm the same as when I started 30 day shred, but I've lost 4 1/2 off my belly !!! Im going to add some more cardio to my routine and hope that the scale starts moving

Are you eating your exercise calories? I noticed you said that sometimes you are a bit under your calories, if you are set for 2 lbs a week you really shouldn't go any lower.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Hey Betty, the scale is still flipping me the bird too :tongue:
    I'm the same as when I started 30 day shred, but I've lost 4 1/2 off my belly !!! Im going to add some more cardio to my routine and hope that the scale starts moving

Are you eating your exercise calories? I noticed you said that sometimes you are a bit under your calories, if you are set for 2 lbs a week you really shouldn't go any lower.

Misty - 4.5 " off your belly is AMAZING!!!! That is what is keeping me going.

Yes, I am going under on my calories sometimes, and I'm set for 2 lbs a week. A couple of days for example, I burned 1000+ cals in exercise, and never ate more than 1600 cals. It just didn't seem right, but I may be wrong!

Let's have a great week! Why don't we take our scales out to the garatge, place then behind our back car tire, and then reverse.
    :tongue:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I bet you are building muscle, while losing fat! Muscle is more dense the tape measure tells the true story! Muscle burns fat, you are turning up the metabolism furnace, give it time! It goes quicker if you eat all of your calories! Even the earned ones! It did not make sense to me either, but the furnace needs fuel, so keep up the good work! Think of your calories as gas for the tank, before a long trip, you can't get there on a low fuel tank. Your metabolism is the car, it needs the fuel to burn fat!
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I bet you are building muscle, while losing fat! Muscle is more dense the tape measure tells the true story! Muscle burns fat, you are turning up the metabolism furnace, give it time! It goes quicker if you eat all of your calories! Even the earned ones! It did not make sense to me either, but the furnace needs fuel, so keep up the good work! Think of your calories as gas for the tank, before a long trip, you can't get there on a low fuel tank. Your metabolism is the car, it needs the fuel to burn fat!

Thanks - and you've lost really well, so it must work, right?
    I will do!

The scale has to move eventually though, right? I mean I can't lose a lot of inches and stay at this weight!
    :smile:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Yes, I am going under on my calories sometimes, and I'm set for 2 lbs a week. A couple of days for example, I burned 1000+ cals in exercise, and never ate more than 1600 cals. It just didn't seem right, but I may be wrong!

Let's have a great week! Why don't we take our scales out to the garatge, place then behind our back car tire, and then reverse.
    :tongue:

you not eating enough calories. you need to eat your exercise calories back. when you burn 1000 calories and only eat 1600, you are only giving your body 600 calories. So its starving, and not letting go of any weight. You need to have at least 1200 calories. That is what you should have as a NET not as a total. so if you are set at 1200, then burn 1000, you need to eat 1000 more. which will = 1200.
    hth
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Do as I did. Give your scale to a friend so you can't weigh yourself. :sick:

The scale means nothing at this point in your game. Get a pair of jeans that you can barely button. Keep them handy and try them on once a week.:flowerforyou:

I had a pair of capri tight low fit jeans. I bought them with another pair that I tried on. When I got home and tried the darker pair, ooomph....could barely button them and I was oozing out the top.:happy:

So today.........without knowing if I lost a pound or not...........I put them on and although they are still not presentable to the public, they fit much more comfy and I am on my way to taking a picture for MFP:laugh:

keep up the good work:flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't trust home scales, in general, so many of them are out of whack. You're losing inches, what better guage of success? :smile:

Trust me, MFP works. Just keep doing what you're doing. Make sure you eat your calories + most of your exercise calories and log everything, and you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone. I lost only 1 lb in the past 2 weeks, but I've been hiking up my jeans all day... a pair I haven't worn in months. :happy: I took some measurements today and am going to try to wait two weeks to take them again. Also, I don't own a scale. That really helps :happy:

exercise.png
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Thank you to all who have answered - I figured last week when I GAINED that it was period, and now I am back to where I started.

It is just frustrating.

Glad to see that others have experience similar things.

I will start eating my BMR calories - everyday!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    You've lost that many inches? Congradulations!!! Take every celebration you can! :smile:
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you have lost inches and stayed the same weight, Then you have gained muscle. Thats a good thing keep it up.
  • misty589
    Options
    Thank you to all who have answered - I figured last week when I GAINED that it was period, and now I am back to where I started.

It is just frustrating.

we're going at the same pace I think, 2 weeks ago when i started the shred I gained 3 lbs the first week, now the second week i'm back to where I started 2 weeks ago (but 15+ inches smaller :))
  • 135gratitude
    Options

It is just frustrating.

we're going at the same pace I think, 2 weeks ago when i started the shred I gained 3 lbs the first week, now the second week i'm back to where I started 2 weeks ago (but 15+ inches smaller :))

Hey Misty!!!!

So I started at 165, then at weigh in #1, I was 168.5!!!!!!! ARGH!!!! But it was the very day I got my period. Then I peeked for tomorrow's weigh in, and I was 164.5 - what gives? I've lost inches for sure, so that is promising!

CONGRATS on your 15" - WOW!!!!! My hubby (a work out buy - very knowledgeable about muslces) says it is just our muscles retaining fluid, and that they could hold up to a few pounds, so if I've only lost 3-4 lbs of fat, the fluid retention could account for that.

Let's keep at it!!!!! What level of the Shred are you at?
  • misty589
    Options
    that's kinda funny, I started at 151.5 and first weigh in I was 154 ish and now I'm 151 it's almost the same amount, I'm sure it has to do with the exercising.
    \
    I started level 2 today and it kicked my hiney! the moves were a little more complicated and I'm not all that co-ordinated so it will take a couple days to get used to i'm sure!
    have you started level 2?

I also started couch to 5k today, and MAN! whoever thought it was a good idea to run for fun is crazy lol But i'm going to keep at it. hopefully when this humidity eases up it will be easier

It is just frustrating.

Hey Misty!!!!

So I started at 165, then at weigh in #1, I was 168.5!!!!!!! ARGH!!!! But it was the very day I got my period. Then I peeked for tomorrow's weigh in, and I was 164.5 - what gives? I've lost inches for sure, so that is promising!

CONGRATS on your 15" - WOW!!!!! My hubby (a work out buy - very knowledgeable about muslces) says it is just our muscles retaining fluid, and that they could hold up to a few pounds, so if I've only lost 3-4 lbs of fat, the fluid retention could account for that.

Let's keep at it!!!!! What level of the Shred are you at?
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I don't know whose idea it was that running is fun, but I don't do it anymore. I've traded it in for cycling and mtn biking. I'm hearing a lot about the 30 day Shred. I think I need to try it :happy: :happy:

exercise.png