Tilapia Recipes needed for Phase 1

Options
TamTamW
TamTamW Posts: 27
I have never been one to cook fish even though I love to eat it. I bought some Tilapia and have no idea how to cook it. Any easy, tasty recipes out there?

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like it grilled with lemon pepper or lightly breaded and pan fried with cooking spray using egg white, some panko crumbs, and lemon pepper for seaoning. I think I use about a 1/2 cup panko for 6 filets-so very light breading
  • nay33
    nay33 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I cook this fish a lot. I usually cook in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes covered in foil on a olive oil coated cookie sheet. I season it with lemon pepper (Both sides) and garnish with fresh sliced lemons and parsley. After 20 minutes I sometimes cook for additional 5 minutes without foil. Just remember fish is done when it flakes away with a fork. My family loves fish and we cook different kinds a lot. Add me as a friend if you like and I will gladly share secrets. Good luck and let me know if you try my advice and what you think. :)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Cook in a pan with pam, add lemon juice red pepper flakes, black pepper, paprika, garlic, and black pepper, top with capers and Parmesan. yummy
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I cook this fish a lot. I usually cook in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes covered in foil on a olive oil coated cookie sheet. I season it with lemon pepper (Both sides) and garnish with fresh sliced lemons and parsley. After 20 minutes I sometimes cook for additional 5 minutes without foil. Just remember fish is done when it flakes away with a fork. My family loves fish and we cook different kinds a lot. Add me as a friend if you like and I will gladly share secrets. Good luck and let me know if you try my advice and what you think. :)

^^^Foil is the way to go!! You can make a pouch by putting the EVOO on the foil...then the fish, then veggies!
    Use things like GARLIC!! YUM! bell peppers, squash, zuccinni, celery, carrots, etc. Loosely fold it into a package where the seam is on top. Then follow the above poster's time & temp. When it is done, not only do you have your protein, but you have your veggies cooked too!!
  • nay33
    nay33 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this advice. I will be trying this one. :)
  • brandysilvers
    brandysilvers Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    my favorite tilapia recipe is super simple

3 tbsp low sodium soy
    3 tbsp rice vinegar
    3 tbsp honey
    1 tsp/1 clove chopped garlic
    black pepper to taste

marinate 4 tilapia fillets for at 30 minute. Cook in skillet until flakey about 10 mins (5 each side) I like to cook it it is amazing!!!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cut a 12 x 12 piece of foil. Place Tilapia in center. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning and Nature's Seasoning. Sprinkl with a little garlic, spoonful of flavored diced tomatoes, a few baby carrots and sliced chunks of zuchinni and yellow goose neck squash and a tsp of butter (I use butter because it makes it more flavorful). Fold sides and top of foil to make an airless pouch. Bake 350 for about mins. Good with chicken. You can add just about any veggie you want. Enjoy cause it is goooood.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That would be 30-40 mins cooking time. Sorry about that.
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love Tilapia! I usual bake mine with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and lemon pepper on both sides. My neighbor, who does not like any fish, actually liked it.

I also do 2 Tbsp of regular butter, 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard and basil mixed together then cook the filet in that. A little more calories, but when most Tilapias are about 98 cals who cares :laugh: - Also a good topping for chicken and pork chops

If you like it battered you can coat it with liquid egg substitute and grind up either cornflakes or original Fiber One cereal, coat it nice and good and bake it. Also good for mock fried chicken.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I have a few that are GREAT on the grill...For both of them I use foil so it steams the fish..You use fresh lemon, dill, basil or oregano whatever spice you prefer some paprika, fresh garlic and sprinkle some butter buds on it.. tent the foil and cook on the grill...When the flesh is white and flaky it's done...The other is in foil put fish (any white fish is good) chunks of tomato, fresh garlic and basil...Tent and wala in minutes done...Fish ALWAYS comes out good when tented because it steams in its own juices...Be creative...use red, yellow and orange sliced bell peppers and asparagus for a whole other kind of taste!
    Debbie~~:smile:
  • davidbtwo
    davidbtwo Posts: 1
    Options
    You can marinate tilapia in advance in just about anything to absorb the flavor. Monday night was tilapia with a bit of olive oil, rosemary and garlic. I want to try marinating in a vinegar, dill, and mustard combination.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I get tired of fish, but I still have fish left in the fridge or it's a staple of my diet, what I do is make cakes out of them as if I were making crab cakes. Baked the fish, let it cool, flake it into a bowl, and then add your favorite herbs/spices, mustard, mayonaise, eggs, or nothing at all! Pack it into patties and then pan fry or bake. Stores well in freezer, and microwaves easy. I actually just eat mine cold.
  • mausileinboomer
    Options
    Are you on phase 1 Ideal Protein Diet. Looking for people doing this diet.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I also bake tilapia in foil packages. My favorite recipe:

Sautee leeks (about 1-1 1/2 stalks per package) in olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Chop flavorful tomatoes (1/2 cup per package) and mix with chopped parsley (1/4 cup) and some french fried onions (1-2 Tbsp).
    Assemble as following: Leeks on the bottom, top with seasoned fish (salt and pepper will do), top with tomato/parsley/onion-mix.
    Bake at 400°F for about 30 to 40 min. Serve with brown rice or boiled potatoes. ENJOY!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I bake tilapia with olive oil and old bay seasoning then serve with brown rice.
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    Yum!
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    SO glad you posted this topic! I bought a big pack of tilapia filets at BJ's and hadn't ever cooked fish either. Now I love it. I've been setting the oven to Broil, spraying a pan, rolling the tilapia in seasonings (sometimes I add bread crumbs and parmesan cheese) and broil it for 8 to 10 minutes...sooooo good! I love to eat it with a really good salad! :) I'm definitely going to have to read through everyone's posts and try some new ways of cooking it.
  • hauntedwebby
    Options
    I like to make Asian Sesame Tilapia. The recipe is for 2lbs of fish. I make it and keep it in a gladware screw on lid bowl. Works with all kinds of meats.

2 tsp. Toasted Sesame Seed
    1 tsp Minced Garlic
    1 tsp Minced Onion
    3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
    1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
    1/3 cup honey (can reduce, but holds everything together)
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    2 tbs soy sauce

Mix everything together. A small spoon full for each fillet. Preheat oven to 375. Cook for 20 min. Foil pouch method is great, because you put it all together in the morning then just throw the pouch in for dinner.