why the feeling of guilt all of a sudden?

Options
mfoster1019
mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
i've been doing MFP since jan 2012. so far i've lost 32 pounds and it's been great. for the last week or two i feel guilty eating "bad for me" things even though they fit into my calories and i don't go over on my numbers. i never eat my exercise calories so i am able to work these things into my normal base daily calorie limit (1200). i've always said that if it fits into my calories, then who cares what it is i'm eating...that's my mindset, don't bash me please (i do incorporate healthy foods into my day, so i'm not just eating all crap). why am i having this guilty feeling all of a sudden?

Replies

• mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    no one else has ever had this feeling?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I get the same way. Probably because we know we "shouldn't" eat it. lol But it's oh so good. You get used to eating healthier that when you do eat something that doesn't really fall into that catagory, you tend to feel guilty. Don't worry. Track it and move on.

By the way, great job on the weight loss!
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    i feel exactly the same way it is only recently i have been feeling more guilty about the bad stuff, but hey we are doing well so far so as long as its working i'm not gonna sweat it too much :)
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I understand this completely. I don't always eat things that are considered "healthy" but I always stay under my calorie limit. Mainly it is portion control. If I really want something, I allow myself to have it just in a small portion. I have still lost 36lbs using this method and feel great. And if you really want something but don't allow yourself to have it, eventually when you treat yourself, you tend to over-indulge.
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    oh i get this feeling.....

though i've learn not to over due or indulge or binge...i geel guilty...mmy thoughts are "oh i've gone this far doing so well, will this throw me off, should i hav are that even if it's my calorie count.." but slowly i've talked myself down and tho i do get piece of chocolate here or there i tell myself its okay if i dont touch anymore for the next few days. best of luck.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would think that you're associating "bad foods" with before, when you would eat it with less restraint and gained weight. That's understandable.

Perhaps instead, you can concentrate on the sense of accomplishment that comes with successfully tracking your food. You mentioned that you come in under your calorie limit, and you eat a lot of other healthy foods. You're practicing moderation, and that's something to be proud of.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I refuse to feel guilty about what I eat, but I *DO* know that once I've begun making healthier choices and taking better care, I notice eating less whole foods/ "good stuff" starts to make me feel yucky overall - which makes me feel badly that I am not taking better care of what I'm working so hard for, sort of.

I just remind myself that food, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing - it's when I let it take too much control of my life that it begins to be a negative!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can relate. I sometimes have guilt tied to food too. I don't know why, I just do sometimes. Even if it fits into my given calories I still find myself feeling bad about certain things. Then other times I don't feel bad about certain foods. Sometimes I felt so bad I didn't log it because I thought it was the end of the world.

So much of it is my mood and stress. When I feel on edge and fit to be tied it's much easier to berate myself and kick myself about stupid shlt.