Trader Joes OR Whole Foods Market?

Options

Replies

• AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We don't have a Whole Foods in my town yet. We have a Trader Joe's that I go to ocassionally, but not too often because I'm too tempted to get all the goodies and it takes too long to get to that side of town. We have a small COOP here called Open Harvest that I love.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've found that Trader Joe's is good for those specialty items that you can't get elsewhere, but I wasn't a fan of the prices, especially compared to a regular grocery store. Usually I prefer Whole Foods for a few items, or even Wegmans.
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel like Whole Foods might have more stuff in general, but Trader Joe's is cheaper, their brand of food is super tasty, and it's just a fun environment to shop in.

Edited to add that the hot food bars at Whole Foods are pretty awesome... but kinda pricey.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I find that TJ's had better prices but WF has a larger selection.
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    Living in a rural area, I have two choices...walmart or over priced grocery store...lol! I honestly go for the grocery store for fresh stuff and meat bc I don't trust walmart's produce or meat! But, one good thing about rural areas, summer time means farmers markets everywhere!!! So someone tell me what trader joes even is? A grocery store I assume??
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'd say balance is good. 50/50

There are some good things at each spot.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's! I just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get to the closest one - but hey, I will in a pinch.
    Their prices are great and the store I go to is really well organized and the staff is sooo friendly. :smile:
  • cookierinthia
    cookierinthia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    LOL! That's cute!
    Trader Joes!
    I wish there was one near me, but then I wish there was ANY grocery store near me. I'm so far in the country that you have to turn left at the third cow to find my house.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Both! I do the bulk of my shopping at Trader Joe's since they have great prices on organic produce, frozen and dairy items ($2.69 for organic romaine lettuce? Yes please!). Plus they have so many fun (but naughty) specialty foods and treats. Anything I can't get there, I get at Whole Foods. I live less than a mile from both of them, so it's nice to have options. :smile:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Why not both? Trader Joe's is a mile from my house and I frequently go there however I love a trip to Whole Foods as well. Truth be told I shop in Trader Joe's much more often and find great products and good buys but love Whole Foods for their quality, food bar areas, uniqueness and product choices as well.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I love Sunflower Market and Sprouts. I feel sad for everyone who doesn't have access to these stores. They're more reasonably priced than Whole Foods and have a MUCH better selection than Trader Joe's.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think they are both totally different actually.
    Trader Joe's has more of their own name brand stuff, is a lot cheaper, and is great for certain things.
    Whole Foods is more like a real grocery store, I love their salad bar and their fresh deli, produce, and pet foods are better.

All things considered though I highly prefer Trader Joes :happy:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    WF is expensive, but their meat and cheese selection is excellent. I never buy staple foods there, only specialty foods from the deli or bakery.

I wish we had a TJ here. I hear it's excellent. Publix isn't too bad as an all around decent quality store, and we have one of those down the street.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods FTW - It's a Texas company!!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I prefer Trader Joe's to Whole Foods, which is pricier where i live. I also bought fish at a Whole Foods several years ago that was saturated with formaldyhyde, a preservative. I never bought fish from them again.

I also shop at Earthfare, which is similar to Whole Foods. You can buy certain products in bulk like nuts, and flour and grain, and tea, which for two of us, works very well.

I also find many products that I shop for at Trader Joes in the chain grocers here -- Publix. For example, Morning Star, Amy's, etc. for less. I shop local farms as much as possible for vegetables, and local fish.
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes all day, everyday! Even though it's a little out of the way, Whole Foods imo is wayyy pricier and snootier. At least the ones I've been to.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I have to buy gluten free (Celiac) so I shop mostly at Whole Foods. Trader Joes has some things at good prices, so I'm there occasinally as well.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a Trader Joe's to compare, since there aren't any around here (Florida), but I've been to Whole Foods, and I liked them. Honestly, their prices are about the same, or only slightly more than the grocery stores, here, and they're much cheaper than other health stores...some of their stuff was actually a bit cheaper, even. And their bakery is AWESOME.
  • cookierinthia
    cookierinthia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a TJ's in years and have only been to WF's once. WF's is pricey, very pricey, however, I did like their salad bar, cajun chicken salad was awesome! I did like the TJ's the one time I went there and would like to go again. I'll have to check to see if I have one or both of the stores close to me. Mostly though, I do my shopping at the Commissary and the Dutch Market.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I prefer Whole Foods but their prices are outrageous. $18 for a fruit salad? Really?