Cinco de Mayo

Options
I love love LOVE Mexican cuisine. as you know, Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday, and I want to go eat at our local Mexican restaurant. (amazing food!!!)

Does anyone have tips on how to do it healthy, or know what some of the healthier Mexican foods are?

Usually I go for a big burrito or tacos with beef. Not this time. I've worked too hard these past few weeks, and I'm not going to let it go for another weekend of bad eating.

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    fajitas with corn tortillas or skip the tortillas =)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I always get veggie fajita's!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Taco salad with dressing on the side. And just eat a couple bites of the tortilla bowl. Or get what you enjoy and only eat half. And get a workout in to make some room in your calories.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Skip the chips and salsa. Kills me every time.
    There's also a skinny margarita, or so I've heard.....
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    that sounds good I know their fajitas are excellent. with corn tortillas, excellent! I might dive into some guac though ;)
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    Don't have chips, or limit yourself to grabbing out of the basket about 5 times. My local restaurant has soup, so I may get that if I celebrate. Substitute beef with chicken, make sure not to get anything with a lot of cheese, and I'm not sure but I think hard tacos have less calories than soft.

I usually order off the children's menu because they have smaller portions, I don't think they'll mind if you order one.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Skip the chips and salsa. Kills me every time.
    There's also a skinny margarita, or so I've heard.....

could seriously make a meal of chips salsa and guac alone!!! it's one of my fav things about eating at one of these restaraunts, but I need to keep my eye on the prize.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I usually blow it when I go Mexican, but I think pollo ranchero is generally safe. It's just chicken covered in tomatoes and served with rice. Avoid cheese and chips.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am with you!! LOVE mexican food. Actually if you get 2 chicken tacos, no sour cream, cheese on the side, and tons of veggies and salsa you would be doing good. I also order black beans instead of refried and skip rice altogether. Damn girl, do NOT forget a golden margarita or two....we have to live dont we??:drinker:
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I, like you am totally obsessed with Mexican food. I was recently in your situation and really tried to do my research and I can tell you what to stay away from. Try not to eat to many chips in the beginning limit yourself to just a few, just look at the calories to know how much you want to allow and tell yourself that's all you get (hopefully whoever you go with will eat them faster thanyou and not order more!) Stay away from the cheese sauce, the sour cream, or any deep fried shells like from a taco salad or something, you know the BEST part of the Mexican restaraunts :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I dont like mayo...I prefer miracle whip....it's all about the tangy flavor!!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Definely go with the corn tortilla rather than flour. Fajitas is a good idea. I plan on cooking at home that night!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Don't miss out on the thousands of suggestions already given in past threads!

Using the Search function will open up a whole world of suggestions. It's like a fairy godmother.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the guac. It is loaded with calories and fat. Granted it is good fat, the calories will kill your day.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Don't miss out on the thousands of suggestions already given in past threads!

Using the Search function will open up a whole world of suggestions. It's like a fairy godmother.

Spoken like a true prodigy.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your macros eat what you want. Drink lots of water though.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Love mexican food! I usually get a veggie taco, with a side of black beans then get the skinny maragarita. Its made with fresh juices, (lime, lemon and orange) not the Mix. So good and half the calories.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I always get veggie fajita's!
    Sacrilegio!

RD-04120_t614.jpg
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Mexican cuisine. as you know, Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday, and I want to go eat at our local Mexican restaurant. (amazing food!!!)

Does anyone have tips on how to do it healthy, or know what some of the healthier Mexican foods are?

Usually I go for a big burrito or tacos with beef. Not this time. I've worked too hard these past few weeks, and I'm not going to let it go for another weekend of bad eating.

I skip the Chips & Salsa (unless, i've planned and worked it into my calorie count)...not planning on it for the chips/salsa. Steak Fajitas (split with Wife), no corn/flour tortillas. Just a little bit of the guac. Skipping the refried beans. But, I will work into my calorie count a shot of Tequila with a lime wedge.
    But, like you...i've worked too hard the past few weeks to blow it for a Holiday that really isn't mine, but I did celebrate St. Patrick's Day due to my Irish heritage.
    Good luck!
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would enjoy whatever I wanted. One day isn't going to kill you, especially if you workout that day. My wife and I painted our house last week and for four days we didn't eat very well. However, I got up and worked out beforehand, and hopped back on the better-food wagon immediately after we were done painting. I stepped on the scale this morning and had lost 2.5lbs. Now, I may have more to lose than you and being a guy it seems to be a bit easier, but one day is not going to set you back that much. My point: enjoy your day! If this is a holiday/type of food you love, just eat portions of what you love and don't worry about the calories for the day. Regardless, hope you have a great cinco de mayo!