Just ran my first 5K!

Options
SatelliteCrush80
SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
Picture it...Columbia, MD 2009.

Today I shook off the past demons of unhealthiness and inactivity and ran in my first race ever. Since I'm a newbie, my running is more for fun than competition...but it's such a rush to cross that finish line. I finished with a time of 34:43, and didn't have to walk at all (even where it got really hot!).

I never considered myself an athletic kind of gal, but I guess now I get to call myself a real athlete now! If someone would have told me 6 years ago that I would be running, let alone running 3.1 miles in a race, I would have laughed in their faces. Funny how life changes.

So now, I will keep on going...I have a flyer for a 10K race in September that I may just need to sign up for. The first race was like my first tattoo...I knew I wanted more as soon as I got started. So addictive!

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Excellent! :happy:

I will be running my first 5K on July 11..... I'm hoping to break 35 minutes, but so far at home I haven't been able to do better than 38!

Someone told me that the excitement of the race can easily help you lose a few minutes on actual race day, do you think that's true?
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Oh my couch to five k freind. I couldnt be more proud. When you cross that finish line it really does feel like you've put the old you in the past. It feels like you are turning your back on the person who used to live a life with limits and you truley feel like a new phase of your life has started. I am so happy for you Shuntae and so glad that you experienced that today! And your right, it is addicting. I can't wait to run my next race. Way to go! We :heart: you!!!!!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Great job!! Both of you!! I've done races and I think race day excitement does shave off some time. It's great motivation to be surrounded by everyone :happy:

exercise.png
  • Tri_Dad
    Options

I will be running my first 5K on July 11..... I'm hoping to break 35 minutes, but so far at home I haven't been able to do better than 38!

Someone told me that the excitement of the race can easily help you lose a few minutes on actual race day, do you think that's true?
    I think that is true. I was averageing 30:00 to 31:00 mins before my first race and I finished my first one in 27:13 so I think the excitement of the race made a big difference for me.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok folks............you are just staggering me here!!

:flowerforyou:
  • skywalker
    Options
    Hey Spyguy! I see you've already put 11 miles on your new Trek!! Great job! :happy:

exercise.png
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

It probably could, but this is right around the times I have been doing. Actually, I had to slow down a bit in some spots where it was really hot. But just get out there and have fun, that's what it's about!
  • Tri_Dad
    Options
    Hey Spyguy! I see you've already put 11 miles on your new Trek!! Great job! :happy:

exercise.png

Thanks buddy! took it out for the first time last night and I am in LOVE, I just want to o faster and farther. lol!

:drinker:
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    That is AMAZING! I hoping to run my first 5K very soon. Could you give me some tips on how you did it?:happy:
  • Tri_Dad
    Options

It probably could, but this is right around the times I have been doing. Actually, I had to slow down a bit in some spots where it was really hot. But just get out there and have fun, that's what it's about!

Shuntae is right, Having fun and enjoying is the goal. I wasnt even thinking of the time. I was pleasantly suprised but I wasnt worried about it. I just enjoyed the run. WTG on running in the heat Shuntae. If was 68 degrees and drizzling lightly when I ran mine. Talk about weather that keeps you cool.

lol
  • skywalker
    Options
    That is AMAZING! I hoping to run my first 5K very soon. Could you give me some tips on how you did it?:happy:

Runner's World magazine has great training schedules for all levels. 5 years ago, I went from maybe running a mile here and there to training for and completing a Marathon in 16 weeks. They really know what they're talking about. I don't really run much anymore. I've traded it for cycling... much easier on my knees. Good Luck :happy:

exercise.png
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO GIRL!!! I'm so very proud of you!!
    Awesome job :flowerforyou:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

Well, I did the Couch to 5K program and finished it on May 16. After that, I just found a route that I knew to be the 3.1 miles and just kept doing more each time until I was able to finish. I didn't (and still am not) worry about speed as much as building up my endurance. Once you get stronger and have more stamina, the speed will come. Most importantly, HAVE FUN! The only person you are running against is yourself.

Good luck!
  • skywalker
    Options

Shuntae is right, Having fun and enjoying is the goal. I wasnt even thinking of the time. I was pleasantly suprised but I wasnt worried about it. I just enjoyed the run. WTG on running in the heat Shuntae. If was 68 degrees and drizzling lightly when I ran mine. Talk about weather that keeps you cool.

lol

I've never worried about my time on races. I just concentrated on finishing and having fun. I just did it to get healthier :happy:
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options

Well, I did the Couch to 5K program and finished it on May 16. After that, I just found a route that I knew to be the 3.1 miles and just kept doing more each time until I was able to finish. I didn't (and still am not) worry about speed as much as building up my endurance. Once you get stronger and have more stamina, the speed will come. Most importantly, HAVE FUN! The only person you are running against is yourself.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm on Week 4, Day 3 of the program and I found it's really helping.:smile:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I completely understand where you're coming from with the "first tattoo" analogy. I did the C25K in the fall, ran my first 5k in March, pomptly signed up for my first 10k in April and I'm leaving my house in 10 minutes to go to my 1/2 marathon training (that race is in October). It's a wonderful bug with which to get bitten!!

Congrats again! :drinker:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Way to go:flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. You have a right to be proud. :happy:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    SHUNTAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pictures-- I want pictures!!!!!

Congratulations, my friend-- so proud I could burst!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Congrats on your 5K! I can't wait to experience that feeling! Knowing that other people here have done it partially convinces me that I won't die, lol. Keep up the good work and you should be so amazingly incredibly proud of yourself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!