Don't like exercise : (

Options
Hate to admit it but . . . I don't like exercise and huff –n- puff just going around the block.
My eating habits are pretty good but I must conquer this exercise issue if I am going to become fit.
How can I get started slowly with something reasonable?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The good news is that exercise doesn't need to involve sweaty gyms or running a marathon; walking is a great start, ride your bike, go for a swim. Don't think in terms of exercise but in terms of recreation.

Is there a sport that you enjoy? Get involved - it's meant to be fun.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Brisk walk 30 minutes every day. Breathing heavy is a good thing.

Weight lifting. Too many benefits to list. Try it, you might find you love it.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    totally agree with Brian ^^. As for some ideas of "fun" exercising, how about something you can do at home, no excuses of not getting around to going out etc. I like the fitness games you can get on the wii - but if you don't have a console, how about checking youtube out for some vids to follow... I just lost 40 minutes of my life to doing Zumba routines I looked up on youtube, and I loved every minute of it! (plus nobody got to see the embarassment of me flapping about like a loon, it's a win-win situation for me ;) )
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't much like it myself. Especially when it feels difficult lol. But I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I am not liking level 2 much so it makes it hard for me to want to do it.
    But when I first started, I started out with walking. I walked to pick up my daughter from school,the kids and I would walk to the park and I let them play while I walked etc. I have my bike now, and I will start that as well but the weather has been crappy lately, but am looking forward to that. I do suggest getting a good bicycle seat though.
    I know when it isn't something that was a part of your daily routine, it is difficult to start and then get into the habit of doing. It is easy to find excuses not to do it etc. I get it. You just have to force your self in the beginning. I still do. I am sitting here typing and thinking to myself...you need to go do your work out woman...lol. So I get where you are coming from. You just do it.
    Huffing and Puffing is good. As long as your Dr. says you are fine to work out or exercise then just do it. Start slow and maybe work up to walking a couple times a day. Use music, it makes it easier and more enjoyable.
  • nicoladicola20
    nicoladicola20 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVDs are a good way to get moving without having to leave the house! You can start off gently and work up to the full exercises at your own pace.

Cycling is also a good option as you get less sweaty than running but still burn calories.

I recently started aqua fit - you dont get hot and bothered, but the resistance of the water makes it a great workout!! Have to take snacks for after though as the canteen is always too tempting!!
  • shamansa
    shamansa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do NOT push yourself too much in the beginning. .

I used to do the same mistake.

Take it easy. Lift weights while listening to music you like. Walk a distance with someone or track your distances. Make sure you get your heart rate up every workout. (20-30 seconds of jogging will do that)

Believe me. In 2 weeks you'll WANT to go for a walk/run
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    In the words of my old Navy chief: "You don't have to like it, but you do have to do it."

In other words....suck it up. If theres nothing you like to do just suck it up and keep doing it. Before you know it, you'll find that you do look forward to it and feel all "off" if you don't get it in. Until then, do it anyway.

(Note: This is assuming you are a reasonable person. I hate Zumba, so I don't do it. Doesn't mean I'm not doing other things to get in my cardio.)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you don't like huffing and puffing around the block, then don't do that! It took me a long time to learn that I just don't have the attention span for doing even a half hour of just walking or running at a time (it made more sense when I learned that I have ADHD, haha).

I work out at home now rather than heading to the gym for long sessions of cardio. I use Bodylastic resistance bands for strength training, and really like doing plyometrics. Rather than plot out an hour-long chunk of time to dedicate to exercise (which I'll dread and probably find some way to avoid), I just get it in throughout the day. Watching TV or taking a break from studying, I'll get in some bicep curls or squats or do a routine for a few minutes. When I do have the time and energy, I will do a much longer session and get the cardio going, but it's not as frequent and I don't feel guilted into doing it. I like it because I'm good at it, I can tell that I'm working hard, and I don't have to spend a solid hour focusing on nothing else. And that's saying nothing of the drastically-improved results.

The best exercise is the kind you'll actually do. Experiment and find something you enjoy (or at least that you don't mind too much).
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My sister works at a gym and they told her to start by exercising (including walking) 20 min twice a week. do that for a month and a routine will develop. From there add a day or 2 and keep going. I've kinda tried it (but not buckled down) and I always feel so much better afterward. Good luck!! Feel free to add me for encouragement if you'd like. :smile:
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Walking, cycling, or swimming are great, gentle ways to start. Then when you get more stamina, you can move up to something more intense. Start small and work your way up. I find exercise to be a great stress reliever too, so there's more to it than just trying to be fit. :)
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a 100 days now. I'm lazy, I admit it. I hate exercise and all my favorite activities are sedentary (ie reading, movies, games) so I just made exercise part of my schedule in the same way I get up, take a shower and go to work. I have to stick with it or I just won't do it at all.

I still hate it, but I love the way it makes me feel. Just make your schedule and stick with it, make it part of your routine.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Exercise sucks, but being out of breath climbing a flight of stairs sucked more. :laugh:

I feel so much better since I started getting in some miles each week! No matter how much I loathe it, I'm gonna keep at it.
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I didn't really like exercise before, mostly because i was doing it because someone told me to or because "i wanted to be skinny". With the first, I just hated to be pushed and with the second, if I didn't see results soon i would get depressed and just eat more junk, i was horrible!! But then I just started doing it for fun, as a time for myself, a time were college didn't matter, boyfriend trouble went away, hysterical parent went away... it was Vero time and no one could mess with it. I went to the gym for sometime and it was great the problem was that I really like truly didn't have the time, I had full time college and two some weeks three jobs a week... so sadly I had to give it up but thankfully last year the pool facilities of my university campus opened and well since I've always loved swimming I started going there, I got so hooked my boyfriend basically had to pull me out of the water when the it was closing time, I would go in the morning if I could and in the afternoon, sometime I'd be three hours back and forth taking small breaks and when it was closing time I'd be like, "five more minutes!"

All in all this has taught me that exercising isn't about pleasing anyone else, but yourself and you just have to find what fits best your personality, like me, I'm not a fan of sweating and I'm usually with friends, or my boyfriend so I want some alone time, swimming fits me like a glove. Hey, maybe your thing is softball o free dancing! You never 'til you try it! Just don't be scared to try new stuff!:happy:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Rael Pilates System 7. I started with this when I was 260. changed my life. did it at home alone in the livingroom where I could privately fail and succeed.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Many great choices have already been listed but the two things I love to do is the stationary bike...the ones at the gym where I go have the TV's so you just plug in your headphones and pedal away. I have gotten up to 20 miles in 55 minutes and just do the fat burn mode, no tension yet. I want to lose some of the junk in the trunk so to speak before I take on walking and weight lifting. The other thing I enjoy is line dancing. I can do this up to two hours with just a few minutes for a water break. It's FUN and great for most body parts. The trick is to start off slowly and just increase a little at a time to build your confidence up. Exercise also helps me get the water in too. So that's another positive to exercising.