Are microwaveable meals REALLY bad?

Options

Replies

• sabriel
    sabriel Posts: 46
    Options
    I eat them a lot. I track my sodium and I'm never over. I love the vegetarian ones from asda. I find them very filling and a good portion size. (sometimes I add fresh veg)
    Losing weight too so I see no real problem.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    QUOTE- honeysprinkle
    [/quote]I am of the thought process that I'd rather eat less of the food that I actually enjoy then a ton of food that I don't! More power to you if that's what you like, but doing it another way doesn't automatically equal "BAD, BAD, BAD"
    [/quote]

I wasn't saying that the method was BAD I just meant the food was-- that stuff is loaded with things that are not healthy for your diet. Trust me- I know how it goes-- I started here on MFP at 220lbs. I don't eat things I don't like-- I totally love the things I eat-- I think it's about finding the HEALTHY foods you like- not just eating things b/c they're healthy-- they feed much more than just your appetite. When I was just counting cals and not looking at the "nutrition" of the food I was always hungry now I am satisfied
  • jfield6
    jfield6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Healthy Choice makes a line of "steamers" that don't have preservatives and are not loaded with sodium. They keep the liquid and solids separate so the food doesn't get soggy, and they taste pretty good, too.

http://www.healthychoice.com/healthy-quick-meals-cafe-steamers

I highly recommend them!!

I LOVE Healthy Choice Steamers! The BBQ Steak with Red Potatoes is GREAT!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of people probably telling you that fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats are better- which in fact, anything "fresh" is healthier because it doesn't have other things added to it.

However, in the grand scheme of things, are they that terrible for you? No. Yes they tend to have high amounts of sodium in them, which I know people like to avoid because of the apparent "bloating" effect it has, but other than that, and not having the freshest tasting food- if you like the taste, they fill you up, and help you stay within your calorie goal and other macros- then why not.

To each his own- it would be one thing if you were eating them for lets say breakfast lunch and dinner, and not getting any type of fresh food in ya- but for a lunch or a dinner on a night when you are in a hurry or don't want to cook- I think they are perfectly acceptable.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I read an article on the dangers of microwave ovens. It raises blood pressure. Now the article might be biased but since I cut back on using the microwave my blood pressure has dropped significantly. I prefer not to use microwaves not to cook my food. I don't think it's the healthiest choice. But to each their own. But then I also have the luxury of not working right now and I have the time to prepare home cooked meals with fresh ingredients.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use them for quick lunches at work, but definitely watch the sodium. They are great for portion control, and can be paired with a salad if you're still hungry.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat them every day, but once or twice a week is probably not a big deal.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I read an article on the dangers of microwave ovens. It raises blood pressure. Now the article might be biased but since I cut back on using the microwave my blood pressure has dropped significantly. I prefer not to use microwaves not to cook my food. I don't think it's the healthiest choice. But to each their own. But then I also have the luxury of not working right now and I have the time to prepare home cooked meals with fresh ingredients.

Not sure if trolling...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Most of them aren't the best choices you could make, but they're not the worst either. I'm going to assume you're referring to the healthy choice-type meals and not the Hungry Man ones- I would firmly say no to hungry man ;) . Not everyone can jump right to "Eating Clean" right off the bat- everyone has to make some concessions that allow their diet to be liveable, or else its certainly doomed to fail. They're good choices as an alternative to going out to eat (say as work lunches) and they're good choices if you have problems with portion control. Eventually you can move to more whole foods, if that is your goal.

So they're high in sodium. Big deal. If you don't have a medical reason to limit sodium, such as high blood pressure, the sodium is not a big deal. Your body normalizes to whatever amount of sodium you get- it makes you bloated but it's not like you keep getting bloated infinitely! If you get way too much sodium (like drink a jar of pickle juice) you get diarrhea, and then back to normal. You cut back on the sodium, you lose water weight.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, just take a Sunday afternoon for a few hours and make/freeze/portion out your own! That way you can control everything that goes into them and you can have fast meals!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Microwaves work by causing the water molecules in food to vibrate, heating it up. Its often a very healthy way of cooking, particularly for veggies (I'm not experienced with meats here) because you lose less water soluble vitamins than boiling or other methods of cooking. Plus you can also cook without added butter or oil. Plus it's really damn convenient.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I think they are very good for controlling your calorie intake. Some of them may be high in sodium, just like canned foods. Otherwise I think they are pretty good and they even taste good. I used to eat Lean Quisine "under 300 cal" frozen dishes with chicken. The ones with basil and with peanut sauce were my favorite.
    I agree. I eat them a few times a week for lunch at work. Or if I'm really lazy, for dinner. Some of them are good but yes, some of them are gross!
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you do not cook and prepare your own meals to start doing this.
    The reason I say this is that you will actually see what you are putting into your meal, you can control the amount of salt, pepper etc. I also believe that preparing your own meals is part of the education we are all going through to better understand nutrition and how to balance a good meal and still keep it healthy, tasty and satisfying.

I started doing this and now actually enjoy the process of thinking about what I am going to eat, how I am going to make it, keep it balanced. I found that I actually enjoy my meals time a whole lot more, than when I relied on packaged or pre-made meals.
    I do this now for lunch and diner, and consider most of my snacks.

Although I do still indulge myself once in a while when I want fries etc...
  • kristibag81
    kristibag81 Posts: 61
    Options
    I use them to keep portions in check and/or get back on track after a few high calorie eating days. I read in one of my health magazines to keep an eye on the sodium content because it is VERY high in many of the meals.

I like several types of Lean Cuisine meals, but mainly only eat them for lunch at work.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Excellent for calories but most have a high amount of sodium--there are a few exceptions
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I keep them around for quick lunches. They are always a good portion for me. I love the lean cusisine pizzas :)

AGREED! I keep them around for quick fix meals - and I also have my faves.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of people probably telling you that fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats are better- which in fact, anything "fresh" is healthier because it doesn't have other things added to it.

However, in the grand scheme of things, are they that terrible for you? No. Yes they tend to have high amounts of sodium in them, which I know people like to avoid because of the apparent "bloating" effect it has, but other than that, and not having the freshest tasting food- if you like the taste, they fill you up, and help you stay within your calorie goal and other macros- then why not.

To each his own- it would be one thing if you were eating them for lets say breakfast lunch and dinner, and not getting any type of fresh food in ya- but for a lunch or a dinner on a night when you are in a hurry or don't want to cook- I think they are perfectly acceptable.

I coped an ingredient lisT of a LEAN CUISINE and took out all the real food. This is the exact list MINUS everything that's food.

I have a simple rule. If its made in a lab, don't eat it.

TORTILLA (BLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID)

SODIUM BICARBONATE,

SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE,

POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE),

CALCIUM PROPIONATE (A PRESERVATIVE),

FUMARIC ACID,

SODIUM METABISULFITE (DOUGH CONDITIONER)),

CHEESE (CULTURED MILK AND NON-FAT MILK, MODIFIED CORN STARCH*, SALT, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, ENZYME. (*INGREDIENT NOT IN REGULAR MOZZARELLA CHEESE)),

LIGHT PASTEURIZED PROCESS MONTEREY JACK CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, WATER, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, WHEY*, SORBIC ACID, CREAM, ENZYMES, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID (*INGREDIENT NOT IN REGULAR PASTEURIZED PROCESS MONTEREY JACK CHEESE)),

COOKED WHITE MEAT CHICKEN (WHITE MEAT CHICKEN, WATER, SEASONING (SALT, FLAVORINGS, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SUGAR, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVOR {MALTODEXTRIN, SMOKE FLAVOR}

, CARAMEL COLOR, AND CITRIC ACID),

MODIFIED RICE STARCH,

CHICKEN FLAVOR (DEHYDRATED CHICKEN BROTH, CHICKEN POWDER, FLAVOR, SALT), SODIUM PHOSPHATES),

LIGHT PASTEURIZED PROCESS CHEDDAR CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, WATER, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, WHEY*, SORBIC ACID, CREAM, APO CAROTENAL AND BETA CAROTENE COLOR, ENZYMES, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID (*INGREDIENT NOT IN REGULAR PASTEURIZED PROCESS CHEDDAR CHEESE)),

FLAVORING {CONTAINS CANOLA OIL},

, LIME JUICE POWDER (CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, LIME JUICE SOLIDS, NATURAL FLAVOR), AND

Jalapeño POWDER),

CORN STARCH

YUCK. Chicken flavoring?????? Why does chicken need flavoring??

For more info: wellfitlife.me
  • josie575
    josie575 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are simply watching calories they may not seem so bad, right? Look at the sodium content and the ingredients list. Not all meals are created equal. Try to go for the stemable bags of veggies and add some grilled chicken to them. You can even get grilled chicken that is already cooked and seasoned. Just pay attention to the ingredients. Try to buy the brands and meals with the least amount of added chemicals and dyes. I suggest staying away from meals that have High Fructiose corn syrup and Sodium levels over 750 mg. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • josie575
    josie575 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, thanks for taking the time to point out all those chems. There are micro steamable options out there that are still quick but do not have all that crap added. You can also buy prepared seasoned and grilled chicken to toss on top, or a rotissere chicken(take of the skin) to add. A lot of micro meals are low on protein.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Microwaving in plastic does release toxins into the food -- phytoestrogens, which can mimic hormones in your body, throwing your balance out of whack.

I have also heard that microwaving zaps the nutritional value of food (even if you do it in, say, a glass container). However, here's an article that refutes that: http://www.livestrong.com/article/364569-nutritional-value-of-vegetables-cooked-in-the-microwave/

I think what a lot of others have already said in this thread is pretty key -- look at the label, just like you would with any other packaged food.

Oh . . . and DON'T nuke it in plastic! :tongue: