Food Additions

Options
I find it really hard to figure out how many calories are in certain things. So many things are recorded of course. And if not I am trying to figure out what is what.

But now when I make something with rice or pasta, with sauce, pasta and/or rice from a box, after I have done the meat, I always add peppers, onions and mushrooms. But I can't really figure out how many calories that adds to a meal. I am trying to find it, but then I find they are talking about 1 piece, or 1 gram or whatever, but it is so hard to really find out.

So if anyone can tell me how much calories, carbs and fat is in onion, pepper (paprika) and mushrooms when added to a meal and fry it. Would be great to find out.

Thanks.

Replies

• lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i bought a cheap food scale from walmart for between $10-20 I can't remember but that heps so much with grams etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the veggie amounts because they're so low in calories but just guess. Like if I use 1/4 of a red pepper Ill put 2 tbsp for the measurement or 1/2 would be 3 tbsp. as long as your not way underestimating it should be fine. For mushrooms you can add he actual amount of mushrooms by size or chopped so that ones easy. I think the pasta and rice i the hardest because the aount is different when its dry then when its cooked so make sure you measure that out and pick the right one on MFP like I measure 1 cup of dry pasta and then find dry whole wheat pasta on here because if its cooked its different
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i bought a cheap food scale from walmart for between $10-20 I can't remember but that heps so much with grams etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the veggie amounts because they're so low in calories but just guess. Like if I use 1/4 of a red pepper Ill put 2 tbsp for the measurement or 1/2 would be 3 tbsp. as long as your not way underestimating it should be fine. For mushrooms you can add he actual amount of mushrooms by size or chopped so that ones easy. I think the pasta and rice i the hardest because the aount is different when its dry then when its cooked so make sure you measure that out and pick the right one on MFP like I measure 1 cup of dry pasta and then find dry whole wheat pasta on here because if its cooked its different

Thanks for answering. I have the amounts in grams, but I would think you would have to add cals and or carbs, if you put it in a pan and stir fry it, or would you just add up the uncooked items. Cause that would be easy to find out, most lists have them in.