Water consuming question

Options
2»

Replies

• cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 8 to 12 glasses water a day. It depends on my schedule. I am not sure if it is the best to drink 8 or more glasses, so I say do your research on that. A tip though - I drink a liter container of water. I can get into my head that I only need to drink two or three liters of water a day - but when we talk about glasses, I drink a lot less! Think liters, not glasses :) It helps for me!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    personally, i keep drinking until i can't sit at my desk for longer than 15 minutes, then i know i am properly hydrated.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    personally, i keep drinking until i can't sit at my desk for longer than 15 minutes, then i know i am properly hydrated.

Right on... if i'm not peeing in my pants at least twice an hour, I know I'm dehydrated...
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have researched an answer to my own question....It seems that as we are losing weight, the formula I searched out is equal to 1/2 of our body weight is ounces of water.....SO, 249 lbs, is 124.5 oz of water a day....WOW, Lots of sacrifices to The Potty God...lol What do the rest of you think?

I have to drink 16 glasses :( Maybe that is what I need to get rid of the water weight though :ohwell:
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am very heavy, and I only drink 8 cups of water a day. Since I hate drinking water, my plan is to not drink anymore than that until I hit my first weight loss plateau. So far, I've been losing 2 pounds a week on average. I'll start increasing my water intake as soon as I go 2 weeks in a row without losing anything.
  • IslandDer
    IslandDer Posts: 27
    Options
    I tell my patients to drink sufficient water to avoid feeling thirsty and to maintain pale yellow (almost colourless) urine (in a white toilet bowl). A lot of factors determine how much water this is for any given person - temperature/humidity and exercise/acitivity levels being the biggest ones.

Good write-up at Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 30,273 Member
    Options
    The 8 cups per day of 'water' is heavily promoted by...

Wait for it...

Yes, you probably have guessed by now...

The bottled water industry.

It's not really a bad guideline, but should not be taken as an absolute requirement or sufficient consumption value. Use common sense, and pay attention to your activity level, and what your body is telling you about your need for water.

Some days I don't do much but stay indoors and have limited physical activity. On those days, my 'plain water' need may not exceed a quart (4 cups).

Other days I work outside in the heat, and the 8 cups recommended (1/2 gallon) is insufficient.

I have a desk job M-F, and often through the day I sit for the majority of 9 hours in a climate-controlled environment. If I find myself having to get up and go to the restroom every half hour, then I take that as a clue that my body is telling me I'm drinking too much water. I feel a lot better if I cut back a bit.

Also, it makes sense to consider what you're eating as well as what you're drinking. If you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables (like melons, cucumber, tomatoes, squash) then you get a significant quantity of water from eating those foods. Use an internet search engine with search term: "water from fruits and vegetables" to see how much you can get from various fruits and veggies.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    y5av0.jpg