Bit confused about when to up the calories

Options
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've seriously looked at what I was eating and working out for that matter. Now that I'm starting I logged everything into MFP and it puts me at 1200 calories. That's fine, I can do that. I work out and eat back those calories when I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry I do try to stay above 1000 calories. The reason why I set 1000 calories as a minimum is because of what the bmr told me: stay within 1000-1500 calories to loose weight.

Now like I said before, I aim for around 1200 calories on days that I absolutely don't work out, but I see so many people stating that you have to at least eat 1500 calories in order to loose weight. I'm just wondering If I should stick to what I'm doing at the moment and once I hit a plateau move up from 1200 to 1300, etc. (btw when can you speak of a plateau? If you stay the same weight for at least 4 weeks?)

Is this the correct way of thinking? I'm 31 years old, 5'4 and 197lbs. I aim to weight about 154lbs. Any advice would be appreciated. Ow I also work out 6 days a week: 20-30 minutes per day.

Replies