Suggestions for lower sodium lunch meat/cheese

Options
Until I started logging I didn't realize how much sodium was in bread, lunch meat, cheese, etc. I love having sandwiches for lunch though. Can anyone recommend a common brand that is lower in sodium. I have already found some bread thats a bit better, but a few of the meats I look at all seem really high. Thanks!

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head makes a no salt added turkey. I think it's around 50mg of sodium per 3 oz.
  • tiffanic83
    tiffanic83 Posts: 64
    Options
    I will have to see if we have that thank you!!! Thats like a quarter of what I've been finding so that would be great!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hillshire Farms does have a few varieties of lower sodium meats (the plastic tubs with the pink lids). You have to really look though, the labels are really similar to regular ones.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I will have to see if we have that thank you!!! Thats like a quarter of what I've been finding so that would be great!

I apologize, I believe it's a 2 oz. serving, but even still, it's a huge difference. They make some other low sodium varieties. Not nearly as low, but typically around 40-50% less than the normal. Here's the nutritional pamphlet.

http://www.boarshead.com/pdf/NutritionBook.pdf
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestion! I see that their Cheddar cheese and muenster cheese have way less sodium than the american cheese I've been eating. My grocery doesn't have that no-salt option turkey though :(
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    thanks for the info, hopefully I will find it here :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sargento has low sodium cheeses. I have found them at my local Wal-Mart. Swiss is naturally a low sodium cheese so most every brand will be low. I get the Castle Wood at Sam's Club and think that is only about 40 mg or something crazy low like that.

As far as lunch meat, I gave up that hunt. I sometimes get the very low sodium tuna but otherwise I make a bunch of extra chicken breasts for the week and either slice for sammiches or chop for salads. The "low sodium" lunchmeat I have found is still well over 400 mg per serving and with the bread, cheese and condiments my sammich would be over 1000 mg if I did that.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Swiss cheese has a fraction of the sodium that any of the other varieties do. I can usually get it into my day if I want a sandwich.

Lunch meats became hopeless. One week I cook a roast (or a london broil if I'm poor that week) and the next I roast a chicken. This keeps me in sandwich meats.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Why are you so intent on avoiding sodium? It's not a poison.
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Theres sodium in everything, I just don't want to go over my limit and often do for simple things like a sandwich at home being loaded with it. I am also hoping to lower my blood pressure. Thank you all for the suggestions. I made need to make some chicken ahead of time and keep it for sandwiches to take to work!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    not what you are asking for, but what about veggie sandwiches. I had a delicious sandwich today. It was 2 tbsp hummus, shredded carrots, 1/2 cup sliced avocado, 1/2 cup cucumbers, some shredded cheese and pea shoots. Low sodium for sure.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I found the exact same thing! SO much sodium in everything... even SALSA (a diet food) has a lot of sodium and breads are a killer, too.... I found Ezekial Low Sodium bread, which actually has NO sodium... LOVE it... I use NuSalt to flavor things than need salt, which is Potassium Chloride but tastes very similar to salt....
  • tnqnt
    Options
    not what you are asking for, but what about veggie sandwiches. I had a delicious sandwich today. It was 2 tbsp hummus, shredded carrots, 1/2 cup sliced avocado, 1/2 cup cucumbers, some shredded cheese and pea shoots. Low sodium for sure.

Sounds DELICIOUS! I eat this type of sandwich every day for lunch... also put some balsamic and lemon juice on it and use feta sometimes instead of cheddar :)
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sara lee soft and smooth whole grain white is the lowest sodium I've found in a bread that still tastes worth eating. As far as meats, try leftover dinner meats like chicken or pork, they'll be lower in sodium than any deli meat.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I think Hillshire Farms makes a lower sodium but it's not much lower.
    I've decided that I'm just going to grill chicken breasts, slice them and use that instead. I hate that they put so much salt in EVERYTHING and it's not necessary! I also try to avoid nitrates and nitrites as they give me migraines. There is only ONE deli meat that leaves it out, Hormel.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just bought low sodium ham from Hillshire farm (what someone earlier mentioned)......I just looked and it has 600 mg of sodium for 2 ounces! Hardly low sodium!

I vote for the cook your own options........ It's just so much more difficult!
  • tnqnt
    Options
    I think Hillshire Farms makes a lower sodium but it's not much lower.
    I've decided that I'm just going to grill chicken breasts, slice them and use that instead. I hate that they put so much salt in EVERYTHING and it's not necessary! I also try to avoid nitrates and nitrites as they give me migraines. There is only ONE deli meat that leaves it out, Hormel.

Trader Joe's sells nitrate-free deli meat, too - Applegate Naturals - but I don't think that they are low sodium....
    link: http://www.applegatefarms.com/
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head makes a no salt added turkey. I think it's around 50mg of sodium per 3 oz.

Boar's Head also makes a lacy swiss cheese that is only about 35 mg a sodium per serving.

And I've been able to get a low sodium roast beef at the same deli. Can't remember if it is Boar's Head or not though (sorry).

We gave up on store bread. I bought a bread machine and mastered a couple of types of bread. It's pretty easy and my sodium levels on my bread were super low. And it tastes amazing!
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Why are you so intent on avoiding sodium? It's not a poison.

Too much sodium on a regular basis is bad for your heart.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Canned chicken breast and you run it through tap water for awhile to get some of the sodium out. Trader Joe's has canned chicken breast, mix with real mayo ,etc for chicken salad.