Cutting out grains is KILLING me ;(

Options
I tried carb cycling before and cutting out grains, basically eating "paleo?" I guess u would call it.. and it's killing me today.. my choice of bread is always whole wheat or eziekel brand.. and i feel like crap today.. i get tons of carbs from veggies, and hit at least 100g protein with chicken, turkey... protein powder after a run.. but it's so hard to cut out the bread lol.

has anyone felt like this? how about i try carb cycling, would that help as in... the days i do workout - allow myself one slice of bread a day and days i dont workout - no bread/grains..

for those who do carb cycling or low carb to lose body fat or break through a plateau.. what is your meal plan like and what has worked for u?

Replies

• LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    all natural, no sugar added juices have gotten me through alot in the past week of my 1st week of a 30 day Paleo challenge. I've steered clear of chocolates, carbs, and icecream. Eating nuts really helps me too for some reason, all natural almonds- blue diamond. they're delicious! good luck :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just eating at a deficit with sufficient macronutrient intake (adequate P/F) and doing some lifting?

I know this doesn't directly address your questions but doing the above with less concern over food elimination (while still using some common sense with food selection) would allow you the inclusion of foods you enjoy and assuming you don't have any intolerances or medical conditions you should do just fine.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am also trying carb cycling.. but I haven't cut out grains completely, if I do.. I notice myself binging on it later on. I don't want to be on a certain diet that will only be temporary, this is a lifestyle change for me so I say do what works best for you.. try not to stress about it too much. It's not alwaaays the best idea to cut something out completely.. all in moderation right? So you're basically on a low carb diet? How low? I say enjoy that one slice of bread.. if you're keeping your macros/calories on point and exercising, why not? and oh, I LOVE EZEKIEL BREAD! :love:
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb - If I can't live without it forever, then I am not going to give it up.

I've gone up and down on the scale from 125 to 205 over the last 15 years that I couldn't even tell you how many different size clothes are in my closet. Granted there was a baby in that time frame, but still. My committment to myself, with MFP & all my friend's help on here, is to make a lifestyle change. I want to change my habits and adopt a healthy, balanced lifestyle that will allow me to maintain a healthy weight going forward.

I know this probably doesn't help you with your current predicament, but I wish you the best of luck!
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options
    I am also trying carb cycling.. but I haven't cut out grains completely, if I do.. I notice myself binging on it later on. I don't want to be on a certain diet that will only be temporary, this is a lifestyle change for me so I say do what works best for you.. try not to stress about it too much. It's not alwaaays the best idea to cut something out completely.. all in moderation right? So you're basically on a low carb diet? How low? I say enjoy that one slice of bread.. if you're keeping your macros/calories on point and exercising, why not? and oh, I LOVE EZEKIEL BREAD! :love:

I totally agree..... i've tried doing the whole low carb thing before and cutting out all grains/wheat from my meal plan and I totally failed... or eventually put the weight back on once I started eating whole wheat bread again.. all in moderation girly and if you're eating at a deficit and working out i don't see an issue! :)
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    More like eating grains are killing you. Grains are terrible for you, it's great you've cut them out. Your body will thank you
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good idea about the carb cycling. If you monitor your carb intake and only go a little higher on workout days, that may help you with any cravings. It's not good to deny yourself; Instead a "controlled" cheat is what you need. Instead of cutting out things you like and later breaking down and binging on them and derailing your diet, Controlling when you eat your "treat" will help you maintain your consistancy.

I try and keep my carbs around 60g per day. Sometime it's more, sometimes less, but I try to NEVER go over 100, or even approach 100. I suppose you could just watch your carb intake everyday and slowly add more of what you like on workout days until you reach a point where you understand what your limit should be. It could be a couple of slices of bread if your good in other areas, or some fries every now and then. Does that make sense?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is there a reason you need to cut out carbs, other than 'carbs are evil'?

personally i have never cut them out totally and its never effected my weightloss.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    More like eating grains are killing you. Grains are terrible for you, it's great you've cut them out. Your body will thank you

Lol what? Why are grains "terrible?"
  • ThatLadyBecky
    Options
    Why are grains terrible??

I decided to cut them out because I notice myself losing weight consistently when I do.. or when I lower my carb intake....
  • ThatLadyBecky
    Options
    does anyone still eat grains or wheat but still eat low carb.. under 80g and has lost weight consistently??
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It sure is. Eat carbs in moderation like a healthy person eating a healthy diet should.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    does anyone still eat grains or wheat but still eat low carb.. under 80g and has lost weight consistently??

I eat grains and wheat and additionally, I eat around 200-250g carbs daily and I lose weight consistently when I'm trying to lose weight.
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Lol what? Why are grains "terrible?"

They contain anti nutrients and many are coming around to think that we have not fully adapted to be eating grains.

Read some books on the Paleo diet or Wheat Belly it might change your life
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tried carb cycling before and cutting out grains, basically eating "paleo?" I guess u would call it.. and it's killing me today.. my choice of bread is always whole wheat or eziekel brand.. and i feel like crap today.. i get tons of carbs from veggies, and hit at least 100g protein with chicken, turkey... protein powder after a run.. but it's so hard to cut out the bread lol.

has anyone felt like this? how about i try carb cycling, would that help as in... the days i do workout - allow myself one slice of bread a day and days i dont workout - no bread/grains..

for those who do carb cycling or low carb to lose body fat or break through a plateau.. what is your meal plan like and what has worked for u?

In the morning: 4 Pork Sausage links and coffee
    Lunch: Salmon/Tuna fish cakes covered with a cheese based sauce.
    Dinner: chicken and gravy or a steak
    Snacks: Cheese sticks, cottage cheese, almonds, whey protein shakes.

When starting a low carb diet your body will go through a period of withdrawl. It passes in about a week. Bacon is your friend.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    If it isn't working for you then don't do it. If you think cycling would increase your satisfaction then definitely give it a try. Good luck :)
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They contain anti nutrients and many are coming around to think that we have not fully adapted to be eating grains.

Nutrients have nothing to do with weight loss. You could eat buttered lard on white bread buttermilk biscuits every day, and you would still lose weight if the lard sandwich caloric intake was less than your calorie expenditure.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The word "terrible" might be a little hyperbolic.
    Maybe we can just say "there are some downsides to eating grains" just like there are downsides to eating almost everything.
    Then we can have a specific, honest discussion about nutrition instead of scaring people needlessly.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You are probably on the verge of ketosis. You feel like complete crap for a few days. After these days you should feel better. I'd give it max 3 days, if you don't feel better by then, then I would just go back to a normal diet.

That may be so, and if so you really want to read up on ketosis. It's a state that a lot of people use to lose weight, and many people stay in it for life. But you also should read up on it and understand the dietary requirements - there are things you need to watch out for, such as drinking lots of water to make it easier on your liver and kidneys to process, and making sure you are getting plenty of specific nutrients.

There's a whole lot of information on it, and I'm not an expert, but from those people I know who have done it - doing it safely involves a whole lot more than "cutting out grains". I'm not saying it's unsafe - just that you need to make sure you're doing it safely.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My suggested solution ... eat grains.