hypothyroid suffers

Options
any hypothyroid people out there? if you have lost weight what is your secret?

Replies

• cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been Hypo for two and a half years. Right now my levels are all off kilter, but for me going the low-carb route worked. It took me about 13 months to loose the weight I have lost and I have been doing low-carb since July. I know many don't agree with it, but for me, it has worked.

Good luck!

Donna
  • jarp68
    jarp68 Posts: 15
    Options
    .....me too... I'm following low carb and its working for me :)
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Join our group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

My doctor just re-nailed it in my head that I need to fully convert to the low carb (atkins or south beach type) diet...
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    are you on medication ?
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo... been on the same dosage for years even through pregnancy it didn't change! I've been losing an average of a lb a week. So, seems like things are working normally! I try to eat a lot of protein (not necessarily low carb).
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Me Me me! Low carb is the only thing that worked for me!!!!! I'm on 137 mcg of sybthroid. And I have lost 42 lbs.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I didn't even begin to lose weight no matter how hard I worked out until I got my proper medication dosage worked out. Now it's nothing special, just working out regularly (3 times a week) and using MFP to track my calories. I've lost 20 lbs since february.
  • dshipticki
    dshipticki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes I am since 20 years, it seems I have plateaued after losing 22 lbs, now since 3 week I am stucjk no matter how much I train and cycle, the weight is the same, but I did loose inches
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Hypo + PCOS = low carb. Now that my meds are stable (and I got a 2nd one added on), I'm able to lose weight.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i am hypo (hashimoto's) and pcos

i eat high protein and low carb, it really made the difference. if you do eat carbs eat only complex and gluten free.

also VERY important.... get a good endocrinologist!! one that aims for the 'ideal' thyroid levels, not just within normal range. i am now at .5 TSH and it makes a huge difference.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed May 2010. Since then I have lost whatever is on the ticker there. I plateaued for about a year after an initial loss, then gained back 25 and had the get my meds adjusted.

Back on track using Body by Vi/Visalus. 21.2 lbs since March 5.
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    Join our group!

My doctor just re-nailed it in my head that I need to fully convert to the low carb (atkins or south beach type) diet...

I am curious about the connection between low carb and hypothyroidism?!
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed but my meds leave me with the same symptoms. I don't lose weight so much. It is a struggle. I lost 3 whole pounds last month.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My thyroid was removed but my meds leave me with the same symptoms. I don't lose weight so much. It is a struggle. I lost 3 whole pounds last month.
  • VeLAbby
    VeLAbby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid for about 10 years, it's always been a struggle for me to keep my weight I have always had to work extra had just to move things around. I found a book recently that was called the Thyroid Diet, it's not about a diet it's more of an eductational book of your thryoid, lately my weigt increased a lot, and its been very hard to keep it down. But from what I read in that book, people w/ Thyroid issue do better w/ low card diets. it's a very informational book. I started getting back on track in january and it only seems now things are starting to move very slow but they are moving...feel free to add me for motiviation.,,I totally relate to the frustrations of the hypothrhyod..good luck!!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Bump for a friend
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I joined in March.I'm Hypo for like 12 years.i take 188 Synthroid.I've just been watching food & working out.So far 21 lbs. hope it continues.I started taking Green Coffee beans for energy and i have mad energy......
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid for about 10 years, it's always been a struggle for me to keep my weight I have always had to work extra had just to move things around. I found a book recently that was called the Thyroid Diet, it's not about a diet it's more of an eductational book of your thryoid, lately my weigt increased a lot, and its been very hard to keep it down. But from what I read in that book, people w/ Thyroid issue do better w/ low card diets. it's a very informational book. I started getting back on track in january and it only seems now things are starting to move very slow but they are moving...feel free to add me for motiviation.,,I totally relate to the frustrations of the hypothrhyod..good luck!!

You might want to check into this Group

There is a lot of good information and knowledgeable people on there. :drinker:
  • DanielleLC
    DanielleLC Posts: 6
    Options
    I was diganosed a couple of years ago. Mine comes with high levels of stress and poor diet and exercise and goes with good diet and exercise (which controls my stress).
    Look at your blood type too, I am an O negitive with O's commonly known to have problems with thyroid levels. I follow the blood type diet for O's which is low in carbs high in protein. Although I can eat brown rice, spelt flour, ezekeil bread products (because they are grains which have been allowed to germinate which results in a higher protein product)

If mine gets really bad I control mine through medication (thyroxine) this is when I eat refined food and stress out as I do with study and work etc.

I try not take the medication and am learning to control my thyroid hormones naturally. The body does like all those chemical over a long period of time.